Author Topic: Changes to HLP  (Read 5301 times)

Offline Announcements

• Important!
    • Hard Light Productions
As those of you who read this particular forum will know, we've been deciding upon some changes recently. For the benefit of those who don't come here often, here's a summary of the changes the administration and moderators will be making to HLP.

1) We've removed the old guidelines for what is an acceptable post on HLP. Rather than having a list of rules saying what you can and can't do, we now have a list of guidelines covering what we'd like the atmosphere here on HLP to be like. Hopefully the change will result in less friction between forum users or between forum users and the moderators. You can (and probably should) read the new guidelines here.

2) Along with the guidelines the moderators have had a chat internally about how we'll be moderating HLP from now on. Some of the changes include

a) Trying to ensure we don't lock threads due to the actions of a few troublesome users. We'll try to act faster to avoid trouble by telling people to calm down, failing that we'll tell the users causing the problem not to post on the thread any further so that those who were discussing the matter calmly can continue.

b) We'll be giving more feedback on reports made to the moderators. In the past, although moderators read all the reports, it may have seemed like nothing was done. In the future we'll try to report back to say what action (if any) resulted or why we felt that the situation didn't require any action.

c) We'll be using the forum's warning system to warn you should your post be reported. This is simply another way of giving out more feedback about reports. We'll make it clear when your actions have actually gotten you into trouble.

d) We'll be posting a thread in this forum so that people can see the outcome of any formal warnings or bans we give out.

e) We'll definitely be adding more moderators at a future date. We considered adding them now but we decided to get the wrinkles ironed out in the new system before adding them. Axem has been promoted to join the Administrators on HLP and we may also consider adding other people at a later date too.

3) We've taken a decision to make licensing a more important part of any mod release. We'd like to see everything that is released on HLP by one of our members given clearer licences so that everybody knows who can use or modify it. The discussion on how we'll be doing this is still ongoing and can be found here.

As you can see, these are quite large changes, so we're going to need the support of the HLP users during the transition period. If something isn't working, we need to know about it quickly so that it can be fixed. Remember though that the moderators are users too, and that anything that isn't constructive criticism will be treated the same way as any other abusive post.

As always, any other suggestions on how to improve HLP will also be given a fair hearing.

a) Trying to ensure we don't lock threads due to the actions of a few troublesome users. We'll try to act faster to avoid trouble by telling people to calm down, failing that we'll tell the users causing the problem not to post on the thread any further so that those who were discussing the matter calmly can continue.

Wohoo!

c) We'll be using the forum's warning system to warn you should your post be reported. This is simply another way of giving out more feedback about reports. We'll make it clear when your actions have actually gotten you into trouble.

Just to be clear: This includes reports that the moderators consider to be unjustified?

e) We'll definitely be adding more moderators at a future date. We considered adding them now but we decided to get the wrinkles ironed out in the new system before adding them. Axem has been promoted to join the Administrators on HLP and we may also consider adding other people at a later date too.

Hmm. HLP already does seem to have more moderators then I have seen on other boards, wouldn't more mods contribute to a certain level of disorganization?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

Just to be clear: This includes reports that the moderators consider to be unjustified?

It depends on the level of unjustified. If someone reported your last post, we'd ignore them and wouldn't bother passing on a report because the report was completely unjustified. If someone reported something and we thought it was a little disrespectful but mostly fine, we'd pass that on to you (without naming the reporter) so that you knew you'd offended someone but that we thought they were being a little bit over-sensitive or that you should tone it down a little but not to the point of deserving a formal warning.

Hmm. HLP already does seem to have more moderators then I have seen on other boards, wouldn't more mods contribute to a certain level of disorganization?

Not if we bring them in carefully and at the right time. Remember that the admins (and existing moderators) will be freed by having more moderators to do other things. So we should see more stuff like Axem's Newsletters, Black Wolf's modding contest and (hopefully) more of my FRED Quizzes.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Fair enough. In that case, I'd like to volunteer as well.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
I'd like to step down.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Though anyone volunteering for moderating duties would likely be doing so with good intentions, I would strongly discourage ever allowing volunteering for moderation/administration roles at any point; let those currently in the roles debate and vote among themselves those they feel appropriate if they wish for more.

Sorry, and perhaps I'm being overly pessimistic here; I just see so many apparent grudges between people on here (I shall not spread names), and so many people needlessly argumentative (again, shall avoid names) that I couldn't trust a volunteering process. I'd be forever convinced 'volunteering for moderating' would just become 'ooh a chance to get back at so-and-so in a way they can't fight back'. I'd fear for the board in the long run. 'The price of freedom is eternal vigilance'; sounds cheesy (and gacked from a Wing Commander I confess) but a motto I've always followed.

Again, me being pessimistic probably, but hopefully in a helpful way at least.
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
People are free to volunteer. We're free to decline.

Every suggestion/consideration for who becomes a Moderator (and what kind of Moderator) is directly discussed first amongst the staff, and you cannot (and won't) just simply get appointment because you said the 'magic' word. There is no magic word.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Can I be site owner?
please?
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Not if we bring them in carefully and at the right time. Remember that the admins (and existing moderators) will be freed by having more moderators to do other things. So we should see more stuff like Axem's Newsletters, Black Wolf's modding contest and (hopefully) more of my FRED Quizzes.

For the record, I was relatively happy with the last modding contest and, new moderators or no new moderators, that'll be returning in some form in 2014, likely in the next month or two.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yeah, I figured that was the case, just that with more time to work on the community side of things and less of the punishing people for acting like twats, we should see more of that sort of thing.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
It was interesting when a thread did get locked. I usually read them anyway, just curious about what happened. Usually it involved **** hitting the wall, or in the least a thread no longer serving it's purpose; a discussion of hitler after a few pages would turn into how much you love your adorable scruffie.
Hopefully, this results in people dialing themselves down in such cases.
d) We'll be posting a thread in this forum so that people can see the outcome of any formal warnings or bans we give out.
Sounds handy as well.
Call me a die hard, but i'm use to the trusty awesome admins already. I understand more are needed.
3) We've taken a decision to make licensing a more important part of any mod release. We'd like to see everything that is released on HLP by one of our members given clearer licences so that everybody knows who can use or modify it. The discussion on how we'll be doing this is still ongoing and can be found here.
Very great idea!

This will pan out awesomely :yes:
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.