Author Topic: SVN Commit of the Day/capship command discussion  (Read 64908 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
SVN Commit of the Day/capship command discussion
July 11 2010

Improved meditation widget CB behavior to remove the unintentional implication that it was a brainwashing tool.

(additionally if you haven't seen the capital ship command stuff click here; if you haven't seen the ModDB assets show and its pretty pictures click here)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 10:21:58 pm by General Battuta »

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: SVN Commit of the Day
July 11 2010

Improved meditation widget CB behavior to remove the unintentional implication that it was a brainwashing tool.

That was the best part of it. :(
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
July 11 2010

That was the best part of it. :(

We had a long discussion about it, but ultimately...

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
I just saw the capital ship commanding thing. I'm in love. Let me do that with a Tev vessel in a mini-campaign and I will love you oh so much. You can have my firstborn child as it is.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It's surprisingly fun. I thought it'd be a clumsy bore but it's exciting.

One thing we're debating right now is whether to place the main guns under player control (i.e. press shoot to SHOOT THE GUNS) or leave them as part of the ship's fire control system (you select a target, the AI handles shot placement.)

I know it sounds like the first solution is the obvious one, but there's so much to keep track of already that it almost feels more fun to let your gunnery people handle the gunnery.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Re: SVN Commit of the Day/capship command discussion
Got a little captain in you?  Autonomous gunnery all the way.

Although, for main guns, I dunno.  The promise of DAKKA makes me want to be pulling the trigger...

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?

One thing we're debating right now is whether to place the main guns under player control (i.e. press shoot to SHOOT THE GUNS) or leave them as part of the ship's fire control system (you select a target, the AI handles shot placement.)

I know it sounds like the first solution is the obvious one, but there's so much to keep track of already that it almost feels more fun to let your gunnery people handle the gunnery.

The forward guns you mean? I'd feel it's a lot more satisfying if you get to push the button and watch things asplode, rather than wait for the AI to do it. :P
'specially if you could get them to fire straight (ie. no autoaim, point your ship!)
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

The forward guns you mean? I'd feel it's a lot more satisfying if you get to push the button and watch things asplode, rather than wait for the AI to do it. :P
'specially if you could get them to fire straight (ie. no autoaim, point your ship!)

You'd think so, but in combat, you've got so much to track that constantly mashing 'fire' might just turn into a distraction. Plus the guns would need to have their field of fire somewhat reduced to make them player-usable. Plus they'd need to be tabled in a roundabout way using 'burst' since normally player weapons cannot have a firewait > 1 second or so.

Plus it's just...not what a captain does.

It could be fun. Not sure yet. Balancing the satisfaction of unleashing mass drivers and gauss cannons versus the need to focus on situational awareness and captaining rather than GUNS GUNS GUNS.

Decisions will be made.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
You gonna fit strike craft deployment into this system as well?

Ie- launch and recovery.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Ie- launch and recovery.

One of the first things we tried, but it doesn't work yet; wings can't arrive from a player fighterbay.

Offline -Norbert-

Would it be possible to put the forward weapons on a toggle, to switch between AI guided turret-mode and player controlled straight-forward-mode?

I guess something like in X (two and following anyway) were you could switch between piloting and each side with turrets wouldn't be possible (at the moment) in FS.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
I'm not sure, since player weapons have to be listed under primaries. Although, perhaps you could link a keypress (the trigger?) to firing a turret or whatever? But I think it requires you to acquire a target for that. I'm not sure if there's anything that picks up your current target however, that you could insert in there. It'd be an interesting thing to try.

Offline Snail

• SC 5

Ie- launch and recovery.

One of the first things we tried, but it doesn't work yet; wings can't arrive from a player fighterbay.
Couldn't you just find the relative coordinates of the fighterbay to the center of the Karuna and use get-object-coords and coordinate manipulation to move the ships into the fighterbay?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I'm not sure, since player weapons have to be listed under primaries. Although, perhaps you could link a keypress (the trigger?) to firing a turret or whatever? But I think it requires you to acquire a target for that. I'm not sure if there's anything that picks up your current target however, that you could insert in there. It'd be an interesting thing to try.

Of course there's things that pick up your current target - look at the fire control system currently in place.

Would it be possible to put the forward weapons on a toggle, to switch between AI guided turret-mode and player controlled straight-forward-mode?

I guess something like in X (two and following anyway) were you could switch between piloting and each side with turrets wouldn't be possible (at the moment) in FS.

It would be possible, but would require swapping between different pofs. It could be done, it's just ugly.

Ie- launch and recovery.

Couldn't you just find the relative coordinates of the fighterbay to the center of the Karuna and use get-object-coords and coordinate manipulation to move the ships into the fighterbay?

Yes, but their behavior afterwards is problematic.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 12:00:19 pm by General Battuta »

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Oh, yeah. I forgotted about that part.

Offline -Norbert-

I guess as a compromise you could just warp the fighters in close, but still outside of the fighterbay (without warp-effect of course). Unless you are on external camera and front view, the illusion should be convincing enough.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Problem is, you kinda need to be on external camera, just to gauge your ship's maneuvers accurately.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline -Norbert-

Yes, but isn't the fighterbay at the front?
Most time you will be in external, but behind the ship, and thus the ship itself hides the place the fighters are spawned at.
At least I think the Karuna has the bay at the front.... or am I only thinking that because of the close resemblance to the Babylon 5 Omega?

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Cool stuff going on with FS lately.

Looking forward for BP's sequels as always :)
el hombre vicio...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yes, but isn't the fighterbay at the front?
Most time you will be in external, but behind the ship, and thus the ship itself hides the place the fighters are spawned at.
At least I think the Karuna has the bay at the front.... or am I only thinking that because of the close resemblance to the Babylon 5 Omega?

It does, but if we're going to warp the fighters in, we'd rather just warp the fighters in.

We can get a code-side fix for player fighterbays later.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 01:58:28 pm by General Battuta »