Author Topic: Colossus  (Read 167682 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
You plan on greebling the ENTIRE SHIP with that amount of detail? :eek2:  It's already 30k polies...

No no no, just selected 'exposed' areas, like that panel, the big recessed areas in the middle, and the gaps between the triangular girders. (I figured out how to align stuff to faces, btw.)

And besides, the model you see now has been HEAVILY optimized. The main hull is about 22,000 polies triangulated, and we can expect about that same number in turrets and detail-boxed greebles.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Is this style/level/scale of greebling OK? I haven't really done this before. I think if anything it's inconsistent... but then greebles are supposed to be varied...

Anyway if someone wants to point out which style of greebles I should do more of and which I should drop, please do so.

Lol@Marathon Logo in upper left  ;)

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Just for Galemp's reference:

[20:07] <Brand-X> Well Galemp, here's what I'd suggest, looking at that
[20:07] <Brand-X> 1) Recessed areas, to make it look as if things just aren't tossed on there
[20:08] <Brand-X> 2) Have multiple levels of greebles (as in greebles on top of greebles)
[20:09] <Brand-X> also that means differing heights between them, some that protrude far more than others
[20:09] <Brand-X> good example:
[20:09] <Brand-X> http://www.cloudster.com/sets&vehicles/SWstarDestroyer/StarDestroyer081.jpg
[20:10] <Brand-X> create bigger greebles, then greeble those greebles
[20:10] <Brand-X> It'll create a more structured look
[20:10] <@Galemp> hm
[20:11] <Brand-X> Also, have in mind a purpose for the greebles, think of what the area does and greeble it appropriately.  Build a story for each greeble
[20:12] <@Galemp> good idea
[20:13] <Brand-X> It'll help with believability a lot, and take it to the next level, from random bits stuck on for no reason to having a purpose
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
That's what I meant to tell jacek about the Action VI, believability.  Gotta remember to pass that on.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Narvi

I prefer symmetry on my greebles. Right now, it kinda just looks like a circuit board.

I still want the V too.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
The Colossus no longer looks ugly to me. o_o

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Taking Brand's advice. This area is the forward docking array, with ports for all kinds of service connectors.

Thoughts?

« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 12:03:52 pm by Galemp »
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
Yep, definetly go with brands advice
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Looking much better Galemp
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline Krelus

For some stupid reason, I find the word "greeble" funny, so that chat log sent me into a fit of giggles >.>

Good advice, though - the revision on that panel is awesome.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
God I can't wait to see this in action.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Very nice. Like the docking port a lot better than the random jumble.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

You plan on greebling the ENTIRE SHIP with that amount of detail? :eek2:  It's already 30k polies...

Why not?
It's a unique ship and with LODs it shouldn't be a huge problem (obviously a lot of work, but I'm use to making +100k poly capital ships...)

The Colly certainly deserves more than 40k polygons...
Must Crush Shivanism!

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
The issue with ships like that isn't making them, it's the impact they have on the game's performance.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Right. Model efficiency is important. But detail boxing should help out, right?

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Yeah.  Plus, if it' only ~50k polies like Galemp said, it should be fine.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
And I used to think 10k was a lot.

Offline Krelus

And I used to think 10k was a lot.

At one time, a 20MB hard drive went for over $200.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie

That's what detail boxes are there for.
I think Galactic Emperor could go overboard with this ship, since only one will ever be in a mission and it's so darn big that it begs for detail boxes to further optimize it.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan