Author Topic: Colossus  (Read 167676 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
yeah....

but i think the mesh is not too overloaded for the game. i think it could be used directly after conversion....

but i tweaked it now for beauty-renders a bit....could not resist ;)

:yes:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
Can someone put it on winzip, i wanna blow up a jugger... oh wait, no turrets.

Offline Tempest

• The Star Wars Conversion
    • The Fate of the Galaxy - SWC
That is one of the most amazing models of a Freespace ship I've seen...you took the concept of the model, and made it into exactly what it would have looked like if V could have burned through pollies like that. Makes me wish there were more FS2 missions with the colossus in it....and with normal maps it will look even better.
"... and the klingons also were the soviet's space program. i mean can you really believe that a bunch of communist farmers can make rockets like that?"
-Axem

My photobucket: with all my shiny new stuff on it! http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o116/Tempest_77/

Offline Snail

• SC 5
It would be cool as hell if we put the subsystems as destroyable submodels. ;7

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
It would be cool as hell if we put the subsystems as destroyable submodels. ;7

You men the components the model is made of?

There's merit to the idea, but I don't know if it would work in practice the way the model is currently built. Might work, might not. IT would, at the very least, require the convertign each part to a debris component as well. And when the ship finally blows up, the parts would need to disintegrate further IMHO... :nervous: but the idea does have merit.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
It's like the Boadicea or Raven2k+1's HTL Hecate (if it was him).

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Well, in this case, it'd look much better :p

I'd like it like this too.

That things lookin great...

also, check this out:
Another Colossuss, look in the middle of the page.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

That things lookin great...

also, check this out:
Another Colossuss, look in the middle of the page.
:wtf: You mean the Lego one? Meh... Don't like the colours.

So i optimised the model a bit and got it down to 3800 polys untriangulated, about 6600 if you triangulate it. Had to drop some detail in the process, but i think the result is still ok. I also added some debris, however converting to 3ds screwed up the debris' texturing so the file comes with both the 3ds and the c4d file.
oh and.. sorry, still no turrets :rolleyes:

http://www.megaupload.com/de/?d=SC3VX7OL

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
So which one is the 3800 one?

EDIT: I figured it out.  I think that that is a little too much reduction.  I like some of the detail in the high-poly one.  I think that you could probably get away with 15-20000, or even just leave it at 30000 if it was detail boxed or if someone UVMapped it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 09:32:34 pm by blowfish »

The one in the middle.
the one far left has 1800 and is intended for view from long range. ill probably have to redo that one.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Is it possible to just use that 3300-poly model (or a slightly more detailed one - 3300 is actually bit low for a capital ship in my opinion) as LOD0 and detail box it using the high-poly model on part-per-part basis?

It's a huge ship. Every time you see it whole, you likely won't have time to ogle at the detail (or lack of) from the distances. The 3300-poly version looks hell of a lot more detailed than the retail model anyway... But when you get close and are, so to speak, "skimming" near the surface of this behemoth, the high-poly parts would be beneficial.

...don't know how abrupt LOD changes that would bring about. :nervous:

Great work anyway. :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 10:12:50 pm by Herra Tohtori »
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

To quote the Freespace Wiki:

Whilst there is no fixed limit to the number of polygons you can use on a model, and opinions vary from person to person, the writer finds the following approximate Polygon counts a good guide to work by.

Fighters/Bombers - Less than 6000 Polygons

Cruisers/Freighters - 6000-12000 Polygons

Corvettes - 14000-18000 Polygons

Destroyers - 20000-24000 Polygons

Juggernauts - 24000 Polygons upwards

So what's wrong with 30,000 polys?

Well, to answer my own question . . it won't be 30,000 polys once the turrets are slapped on there. But it could be reduced a LITTLE bit . . . and still be decent. There's only ever going to be one in any given mission anyway.

Offline blowfish

Experienced people (like VA) have said that those numbers are really only for UVMapped ships.

Experienced people (like VA) have said that those numbers are really only for UVMapped ships.

Eh, but aren't large ships rarely uvmapped? Or are HTL ships being more and more uvmapped these days?

Offline blowfish

They are, increasingly.  Many ships still use tile texturing (its a lot easier to do), but I have heard that uvmapping really improves performance (because you are using fewer textures).

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Visually and performance wise, it is a better practice to utilize a single texture file and apply it to the model.

Rather that doing a patchwork or using tiling to replicate a single bit of texture all over. You don't really save on anything when you have a model that is excessively tiled other than the time it took for you to release it.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline blowfish

Well, you do stand to loose a little bit of detail when you are working with really high resolution tile textures, but usually this is not an issue.  But its hard to learn how to make good uvmaps if you don't know already.

After some fiddling around  i managed to get it into the game. still without turrets or anything. but i still don't have a clue on how to implement bump mapping

[attachment deleted by ninja]