Author Topic: "Memories of the Great War" Dev-Steam 13/2/16  (Read 3717 times)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
"Memories of the Great War" Dev-Steam 13/2/16
Hi everyone,

sometime ago I was asked to look into my old campaigns Rain on Ribos IV, Hellgate: Ikeya and Light of Antares because links existed to the files of an old update that I let the community test but never finished (keeping up with the MediaVps is a bit easier to do now then it was back then). I now looked at them again and want to gear up for a full update that get's them in line with the newest versions of the MediaVps and the FS Port (I remember there were some issues with the previous version of FS Port).

Since I "lost" almost all notes on the update and don't remember exact all the tinkering I've done to the missions over the years, I have to start with playing the campaigns again ... and this time publicly on Twitch, if the technology permits. The date is set for the 13th of this month, around evening and into the night to 14th.
(I will iron out any major bugs beforehand of course, for your viewing pleasure)

Details will follow as the date of stream nears.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline 0rph3u5

Re: "Memories of the Great War" Dev-Steam 13/2/16
So, 3 days out and finally got around to making a schedule of some sort:

The stream will start at 14:00 GMT+1 on Saturday ... the exact link, I will be providing shortly once I set it all up...

The program will be going chronologically through the campaigns starting with abbreviated look at Rain On Ribos 4 at about 14:10. This look will include the Missions 1, 2, 3, 5, 10, 11, 12, 15, 16 & 17b, which I have stitched together in a separate campaign file just for the Stream, with me playing and providing commentary (prepared in advance) about how this campaign came into being from a random pile of missions and some new ones.

After Rain On Ribos 4 (the abridged version) is done, I will have a full look at Hellgate: Ikeya at about 16:30. HG:I maybe kinda boring to look at but it has a dear spot in my heart as it ends on a note I have tried too hard to resolve but never manage to quite get right after the campaign was released.

Around 18:00, swift playthrough permitting, then it is time for the main attraction, Light of Antares also affectionally called "the one with the balancing from hell". I want to take a bit more time with LoA just because of the s"all teams at war"-nature of missions of that campaign.

In short (all times GMT+1; scheudled, may change):
1400 - Intro
1410 - Rain On Ribos 4 (abridged)
1630 - Hellgate: Ikeya
1800 - Light of Antares

ps. Thanks to The E for some advice on how to run this thing
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Awesome I can't wait to watch! Got to figure out what those times are in my timezone though. So maybe I'll get on that.
Never played any of those campaigns but they have really cool names.

Offline 0rph3u5

Channel link:
http://www.twitch.tv/jpd_0rph3u5

I will be running last minute tests from around 13:00 to 13:30; Broadcast begins at 14:00 TOMORROW as intended... (all times GMT+1)

Until tomorrow

==================

Offline 0rph3u5

And I will be live shortly:

http://www.twitch.tv/jpd_0rph3u5

==================

Offline 0rph3u5

The Stream has concluded and the video has been archived, for the (dis-)pleasure of those who want to hear me rambling on :)

I sadly could not monitor the chat and see if anyone was there, or answer any question (technical difficulties, which also account for the poor quality of the video). But I actually liked to do this and I will see if I can fix those issues in the near future, so I might use it a little more in the promotion of Of Shivans and Men

==================

Offline starlord

Could you consider posting the vid on YouTube also?

Yeah. I don't know if its just me, but the Twitch video player really doesn't like my browser and it plays really slowly and buffers allot. The stream itself was pretty good. Maybe minus the whole weird resolution thing with the black borders and the ingame music being a bit high. Your ramblings were pretty funny.

I did however get to the stream late and only saw the mission where you destroyed some cruisers, lost Tombaugh and then attacked the Lucifer with the PVD Pledge. I have to admit I really did like the Tombaugh mission. But I kinda... feel asleep during the stream...  :D Not because of the stream though. I was just tired.

So, do you have an estimate how soon you would be able to release the updated versions?  :pimp:

Offline 0rph3u5

The stream itself was pretty good. Maybe minus the whole weird resolution thing with the black borders and the ingame music being a bit high.

I will fix this for the next time I do somthing similar ... I sadly didn't have enough help for the tests because everyone was busy playing XCom 2

Could you consider posting the vid on YouTube also?

Not at the moment, terribly busy in Real Life right now ... barely got time to do my usual gaming-to-be-social these days

So, do you have an estimate how soon you would be able to release the updated versions?  :pimp:

If there are no further complications, look at the end of April/beiging of May

==================

Offline 0rph3u5

While watching the Overload Stream, I finally made the time to make a Phoenix V-varaint for Rain On Ribos IV that perfrom to what I want (after seven years) - now I only need to make some mission specific tweaks and fighting cruisers in that campaign will become less difficult

==================

Will you be making another livestream showing the final changes to the mods? I uhhh , :nervous: , wouldn't mind watching another of your livestreams.

Offline 0rph3u5

Will you be making another livestream showing the final changes to the mods? I uhhh , :nervous: , wouldn't mind watching another of your livestreams.

I am torn of the issue, esspecially after the Overload KS-Stream ....

Watching Overload-Stream made me realized (again, it's an easy to forget point sometimes) how much the distance between streamer and audience shrinks. I don't have a camera showing me in the orginial stream, because I am not comfortable with the dissolution of personal distance that represented ("I like you but I don't want you virtually in my apartment"). During the Overload-Stream I once more felt just how much in drew me in and I am really not comfortable being on the sending side of such virtual intimacy with an audience I cannot limit myself.

On the other hand, of couse, there will be a point were I have to fix the mistakes I made in the orignal stream, essepecially when I intend to go on modding (and finally graduate to making a game of my own)...

(and there is the issue that my ISP has had problems recently of keeping my internet access to perform to specs)

To sum it up: Maybe...

==================

Offline 0rph3u5

So now that you are going to believe me again - Patchnotes time!

Memories of the Great War, May 2016 Update

General:
- Added a +nocreate entry for "Terran Huge Turret" to mogw-wep.tbm that will give the laser effect a tail
- Added a +nocreate entry for "Vasudan Huge Turret" to mogw-wep.tbm that will give the laser effect a tail
- Added a +nocreate entry for "Shivan Megafunk Turret" to mogw-wep.tbm that will give the laser effect a tail
- Added "Phoenix V#MoGW"-entry to mogw-wep.tbm
- Added "Synpatic#MoGW"-entry to mogw-wep.tbm
- Added "SynpaticMoGWBaby"-entry to mogw-wep.tbm
- Added "Barracuda#Typhon"-enty to mogw-wep.tbm
- Removed "Phoenix V"-entry from mogw-wep.tbm
- Removed "PVI Karnak"-entry from mogw-shp.tbm
- Removed all data (model files and textures) for the High-Poly Karnak from the modpack (Note: that inclusion was only neccessary because the FS_Port version of the High-Poly Karnak had not all data required in previous versions of the FS_Port)
- Removed HGI-music.vp and LoA-music.vp from the modpack. (For the reaons see below)

- Work-in-progress: Add all data added to the "PVD Typhon"-entry through the FS_Port Mediavps to the "PVD Typhon#kamikaze" entry.
- Work-in-progress: Add all data added to the "Phoenix V"-entry through the FS_Port Mediavps to the "Phoenix V#MoGW" entry.
- Work-in-progress: Add all data added to the "Synaptic"-entry through the FS_Port Mediavps to the "Synaptic#MoGW" entry.
- Work-in-progress: Add all data added to the "Barracuda"-entry through the FS_Port Mediavps to the "Barracude#Typhon" entry.

Adds a new version of the Phoenix V to player-allowed weapons and removes the conflicting entry from the previous version, the AI should now use this version against cruisers as intended.
Adds a new version of the Synaptic to the weapons for the use in RoR16, this version has an expended range on its child-missiles, uses the "$Free Flight Time"-parameter and the "smart spawn"-flag to make the Tombaugh use it for defense.
Adds a new version of the Barracuda to the weapons for use in RoR17a, this version is used by the Pinnacle to attack the Paimon as originally intended, the missile uses the "&Arm distance", "$Dinky Shockwave" & "$Free Flight Time"-parameters to enable a capital to capital engagement (the missile will only home after a few seconds and will not detonate with a shockwave until it has cleared the area of the turret) .

Rain on Ribos 4:
- Mission 17a-new (RoR17a-new.fs2) is now avalible in the Techroom Simulator. It includes 3 new waypoints paths and new ai-waypoints orders for the Pinnacle and Paimon, these should make for a more natural engagement. This variant includes all changes to Mission 17a, see below.
- Mission 17a-old (RoR17a-old.fs2) is now avalible in the Techroom Simulator. This mission does not include the changes 2-5 to Mission 17a.
- Mission 17b-old (RoR17b-old.fs2) is now avalible in the Techroom Simulator. This mission does not include the changes 4-6 to Mission 17b.
- Multiple: Set the Star Count in the Background Editor to 0.
- Multiple: Reworded all Directives related to bomber wings from "Destroy {wing name} wing" to "Intercept {wing name} wing"
- Multiple: Using Target Groups now: F5 will now target shivan assault fighters attacking mission critical craft, F6 will now target shivan bombers attacking mission critical craft
- Multiple: fixed the last instances where Shivan fighter were carrying non-#shivan secondary weapons
- Multiple: repleaced all instances of "Phoenix V" with "Phoenix V#MoGW" in player loadouts and ship loadouts
- Multiple: inlcuded at least one instance of "good secondary time {Phoenix V#MoGW}" to any mission that required it
Spoiler:
- Mission 3: fixed that the Taranis could use its turrets.
- Mission 10: fixed a whole lot about the scenario when Medevac 14 has to be called, AI goals, departure cues & debriefing.
- Mission 16: Tombaugh Station now has "Synaptic#MoGW" instead of "Synaptic" in all missile launchers. The Installation should be able to defend itself better with this change.
- Mission 17a, 1: added one instance of "good secondary time {Barracuda}"
- Mission 17a, 2: The waypoint speed of the Pinnacle and the Loyality have been increased to speed up the mission.
- Mission 17a, 3: Changed the event that would give the Pinnacle Fusion Mortars for the attack run on the Paimon to trigger earlier.
- Mission 17a, 4: Changed the event that would give the Pinnacle Fusion Mortars for the attack run on the Paimon to give her "Barracuda#MoGW" instead.
- Mission 17a, 5: The Paimon got a hitpoints increase of 10 percent (subject to change) to account for the increased firepower of the Pinnacle.
- Mission 17b, 1: added one instance of "good secondary time {Barracuda}"
- Mission 17b, 2: Fixed the background.
- Mission 17b, 3: Fixed the music.
- Mission 17b, 4: The waypoints speeds of the Pledge, Duty and Dedication have their waypoint speed increased to speed up the mission.
- Mission 17b, 5: Changed the event that would make the Lucifer start her waypoints to trigger earlier to reflect the new pace of the mission.
- Mission 17b, 6: Changed the event that would make disable the beam protection of the Plege to trigger earlier to reflect the new pace of the mission.

- Work-in-progress: Tutorial the use of target groups.
- Work-in-progress: New version of RoR-Credits.
- Work-in-progress: Integration of the messages.tbl from another project that contains altered versions of the FS2 vasudan personas for use with FS_Port.
- Work-in-progress: Fix all instances of event-based and "natural" arrival messages overlapping. (It's still a thing but I would integrate the FS2-Vasudan personas first before go into that)

So, this has been rather long for a "small" update.
The reworded Directives and the use of Target Groups is to bring a little more clarity to the missions, they are also a standard-of-living-change. The big change will be that the AI finally should use the Phoenix V has originally intended to attack cruisers, which will speed up some missions and make them beatable at higher difficulties. The changes to final missions are a compromise between keeping the old and "ripping out their guts to make it all new", just like with the change to
Light of Antares back in the day I will provide the un-altered missions for single play. I also added a new variant of mission 17a with additional waypoints because the old design of a semi-static captial engagement irritates me now to no small degree, it is no big change but at least now the Paimon will not just sit there and tank the attack.
What is not yet done is two standard-of-living-changes with the use of FS2 Vasudan personas and the change to double arrival messages (They were in because of the poor design choice of using the same wing over and over again, so I kept it to have the arrival messages for further waves to keep appearing. I will try to make change as minimalistic as possible so I may have to check a thing or two first). The last one are the new credits for RoR, which should be easy but contain a few expansions.

Hellgate: Ikeya:
- Multiple: Removed the previous music selection and replaced it with tracks from the soundtrack provided by the FS_Port.
- Multiple: Reworded all Directives related to bomber wings from "Destroy {wing name} wing" to "Intercept {wing name} wing"
- Multiple: Using Target Groups now: F5 will now target shivan assault fighters attacking mission critical craft, F6 will now target shivan bombers attacking mission critical craft
Spoiler:
- Mission 3: The Suspicion's ship class has been changed back from PVD Typhon#kamikaze to PVD Typhon.

- Work-in-progress: New version of HGI-Credits.

Short and sweet, there is little to change here but the soundtrack selection. The change was made to because I had a change of mind about artistic credit in between the initial release and never gave acurrate credit to whoever it was due, despite asking for permission and recieving it. I do now care more for intellectual property then I did back then (and I was wrong back then), so I do not feel comfortable using contentn I cannot give acurate credit for. I will still add an inacurate-as-it-may-be point to the new credits that makes reference to the original creators I borrowed from, that much is owed.

Light of Antares:
- Multiple: Removed the previous music selection and replaced it with tracks from the soundtrack provided by the FS_Port.
- Mission 3-old (LoA3-old.fs2) is now avalible in the Techroom Simulator. This mission does not include the changes to Mission 3.
Spoiler:
- Mission 3: Changed the AI orders of nearly several Shivan wings, so no longer overwhelm the player as easily as before.

- Work-in-progress: Test changes to Mission 3.
- Work-in-progress: New version of LoA-Credits.

As the Stream showed (I had to five-die out of my own mission, 2nd most embarrasing moment of the Stream) the Shivans can and will pretty clearly and quickly overwhelm a mission critical craft, too fast to acutally win the mission unless you are ... younger. This works as follows:
Spoiler:
As soon as the Shivans have destroyed the Hammer of Light cruisers, Indra-, Durga- and Kali-wing will recieve exit waypoints and depart after a short delay, Asura- and Vishnu-wing will ai-guard to the Kumbhakarna and Ravana respectively. This should remove the Shivan bombers from the attack on Merlin, so the frutration one-bomb-and-gone-situation no longer occurrs, and keeping the wings that arrived with the Shivan cruiser near their "parent ships" should add the illusion that the Shivans have more to do than go after you. How the changes line up with the original design has not been tested fully, so I may rollback the changes to at least Asura- and Vishnu-wing if it doesn't work out (it is pretty easily done) or I may add further Shivan wings just for that segment.
To re-state the issue with the soundtrack selection: The change was made to because I had a change of mind about artistic credit in between the initial release - I do now care more for intellectual property then I did back then (and I was wrong back then). I will still add an inacurate-as-it-may-be point to the new credits that makes reference to the original creators I borrowed from, that much is owed.

Quite a laundry list, and it is not done yet because I need to run another test (and another and another) to see if nothing slipped by me. Then come the items still listed as Work-in-progress. But I should be able to roll this out to a Beta Test before May.

EDIT: missed a few points of "FS_Port mediavps-sync"
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 05:01:36 am by 0rph3u5 »

==================

Offline 0rph3u5

I have also decided to shorten mission 14 of Rain On Ribos 4; same procedure as with other missions: a "-old"-version of the mission will be provided for Tech Room Simulator, so if you want to play the old version you can.

Spoiler:
The mission is just a shooting gallery anyway, and a flimsy pretext to try out the "previous-goal-true" SEXP; details will follow but it won't be anything spectacular, less waves here and waypoints distance reduced there.

==================