Author Topic: Is there a guide to getting the x55 (et. al.) to work?  (Read 1715 times)

Is there a guide to getting the x55 (et. al.) to work?
ie, is there any straightforward way to get more current multi-input controllers to work? I googled a bit, and I found a thread recommending something called ppjoy, but that seems to be some combination of not-free (which normally wouldn't bother me, but when it is a kinda geocities looking website that hasn't been updated in three or more years, I get antsy) and not Win 8 compatible. There is also something called vjoy, which is apparently an opensource replacement, but it isn't immediately clear to me if it will work automatically with FSO or if I will be embarking on some hours of fiddling and fussing. Anyone have any suggestions, or ideally a guide? Or, if there is no guide and someone is willing to help me sort this mess out, I could turn my experience into a guide.

Having said that, my closely related question pertains to something else in that thread regarding SDL2.0 (antipodes) and the implication that this will include support for multi-input controllers; it also seems to be related to 3.7.2. Could someone perhaps explain that to me? Using small words, as for an easily confused child?

.. and now I see that for some reason some of the .vps are not installing. I'll google about this (it is, after all, off topic from my own thread), but could that be related to this being an install atop the steam version?

Re: Is there a guide to getting the x55 (et. al.) to work?
Well I found this to be a great source of information for integrating multiple controllers so older games like FS2 can use all the available axises. I use Windows 7 64bit and have no issues.

I also use the version that has the joystick ID set to the #1 slot

So until FS2 is modified to handle more controllers it is about the only way to get around the issue (unless your joystick has an option to combine controllers).

http://wiki.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php?title=PPJoy_for_using_multiple_joysticks

Here is my setup

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3934/15416627820_d64f769e2b_c.jpg