Author Topic: Split From: Team Colors  (Read 1786 times)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Split From: Team Colors
Well.. if mods stop ruthlessly tilemapping ships... Seriously, if mods want to tilemap, fine. That's their choice. But have a little control and it should not be a problem. The Vesuvius fighter had something like TEN tile textures. For a fighter!. So, fine.. let's be super specific here. The average sane mod won't hit that limit.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Re: Split From: Team Colors
the problem is all the animated glowmaps people want to use. frankly im supprised these havent been replaced with shader effects. you can use glow alpha as a mask for such effects. tilemapping isnt so bad for larger ships, just keep your tile count low. 4 tiles and a detail texture should work, assuming some tiles are shared between various ships. i figure you can single map anything up to the size of a corvette though, and you should do that. now if all those tiles have animated glowmaps with more than 15 frames, you are an idiot. because what was once 5 textures is now 80 (90 with shines and normals).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 10:00:47 pm by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Well.. if mods stop ruthlessly tilemapping ships... Seriously, if mods want to tilemap, fine. That's their choice. But have a little control and it should not be a problem. The Vesuvius fighter had something like TEN tile textures. For a fighter!. So, fine.. let's be super specific here. The average sane mod won't hit that limit.
Actually, Vesuvius textures were not tiled. They were just a horribly inefficient UVmap. Think Steve-O's fighters, which had the same problem. Tile textures can actually have adventages, namely no resolution problems on very large ships and the fact they're easier to make, both factors make them perfect for mods like Inferno. They're also easy to apply team colors to (compared to, for example, The_E's UVmaps for Steve-O's ships...).
Case in a point, I'm attaching a set of team-colored AWACTiles I've made for testing. Names are self-explantory, just apply to your tile-mapped ship, set up colors.tbl and default color, and you're good to go. You're free to mess around with them to see how they're done. I hope these would help adoption of team colors in other mods.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Good grief... You missed the point entirely. Fine, the Vesuvius was tiled perse because the maps didn't really repeat... but a fighter should not have that many textures on it. Ever. Hi-res doesn't matter... you'll never see it on fighter. EDIT: 14 maps on the Vesuvius + some glows... could you imagine if all of those had shine and normal? It'd be about 45 maps for a fighter...

I shall now watch you rebuke this one too.... but I'll ignore it because we are not going to get into a tilemapping argument in this thread.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 09:18:46 am by mjn.mixael »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Indeed not. For somebody who knows how to use an image manipulation program, a proper UV map is as easy to manipulate as a tilemap.

And now we return you to the rest of the thread.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
You should try adding team colors to your version of Vajradhara then. Unless you know an image manipulation program which can easily, accurately and quickly select blue and red areas on it, doing this manually is a chore.
Good grief... You missed the point entirely.
So did you. I actually agreed with you that mapping on the Vesuvius was a problem, but it was a sloppy texturing job, not an example of tilemapping. IIRC, there's precisely one truly tile-mapped fighter around (GTF Maverick).
HTL Tereus from Inferno has 10 textures, only a few of them have glowmaps. That's a pretty sane count for a Destroyer. That's about how many tiles most "modern" tilemapped ships use. Tilemapping isn't going to be a problem if people would stay away from relics from pre-mipmap era (which sometimes hit 30 textures or worse).

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
That's about how many tiles most "modern" tilemapped ships use.
"modern" tilemapped
Tilerape is something of the past. Get that in your head.

Is any of the recent FSU ships tileraped ? Of course they're not. Why would they be ?

Tileraping is a relic of an era we have left nearly ten years ago. I think it's about damn time to move on. For good.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Then I invite both you and Mjn to UVmap 100 large (some over 3km), complex HTL ships. In a fairly consistent, good looking style. And in this millennium. Since that's what Inferno would be facing if it chose UVmapping. Other mods also use tilemapping, just because it takes less time to do than a full, detailed UV. And some ships (like Amaterasu, for example) would require maps of resolutions not supported on most cards in order to look decent up-close.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I shall now watch you rebuke this one too.... but I'll ignore it because we are not going to get into a tilemapping argument in this thread.

And now we return you to the rest of the thread.

If you really feel that you want to make a point and be mr. right, then take it to PMs and leave it out of this thread..