Author Topic: Pretty annoyed  (Read 3769 times)

So I stumbled across this mod which looked really interesting. I read up on some installation and stuff and it said "don't be daunted by the installation as it's really very easy", or words to that effect. So I bought the game free space 2 to try the mod.

I've been trying to install this now for quite a while and it's far from simple to do. I'm no tech, but I've installed and added mods plenty of times through the years, but this, this is far from simple with no step by step guide to let people know what to do, unless of course you want to read up on, what feels like,  pages of information.

For instance - "the FSO builds and the non-wxLauncher are the only things that should ever be added to the "root" FS2 folder ". Eh? I mean what the...

" If you have the GOG version of FS2, move the .mve files (which are the cutscenes) from \FreeSpace2\data2\ and \FreeSpace2\data3\ to \FreeSpace2\data\movies\ . IF THE FOLDER DOES NOT EXIST, CREATE IT.
    After doing that, delete the \FreeSpace2\data2\ and \FreeSpace2\data3\ folders and any files left in them.".  Create a folder where exactly?

"Important!!
Also, since the internal code linking for TrackIR was revised, an external DLL is now required for FSO to use TrackIR functions.
The following DLL is simply unpacked in to you main FreeSpace2 root dir.
TrackIR is only supported on Windows.". Okay, now I'm getting annoyed. How is this simple or easy to do if you have absolutely no clue what is being talked about.

I feel like I just wasted 10 bucks because I was told it was a simple installation, when it quite clearly isn't, at least not to the layman.

And I'm trying to get the FS2 open launcher to work but when I try and select the build I want to use I get the error "the launcher must be in the same directory as the binary". What a surprise. I seem to have cocked it up.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 05:44:44 am by killkhan »

Here, have a guide, and maybe calm down a bit rather than declaring the whole endeavour to be a waste of time.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Echelon9

Also, given this is the Diaspora sub-forum, worth noting that Diaspora does not require a copy of FS2. It is entirely standalone and not a mod.
You would have read that within the one step setup guide for Diaspora.

Having said that, it is worth getting FS2 and the updated media and code setup to play the Freespace campaigns and mods.

Here, have a guide, and maybe calm down a bit rather than declaring the whole endeavour to be a waste of time.

Thanks for the info.

The fact I'm annoyed is because it was clearly stated that it was a simple installation, and that's just not true. If I'd known I would have to do all this I wouldn't have touched it.

And I've been using that guide already.

I'm trying to get the FS2 open launcher to work but when I try and select the build I want to use I get the error "the launcher must be in the same directory as the binary".

Any advice? Thanks.

Offline newman

Yup, we've taken every opportunity to underline the fact that Diaspora is standalone and does not require a copy of FS2 to run. It is not a mod, really - a mod changes certain aspects of a game where we took an already heavily revamped engine and then replaced pretty much everything with original content. Calling it a mod would be the same as calling any game that runs on the Unreal engine (DeusEx, for example) an Unreal mod. Your failure to install is likely a result of attempting to install Diaspora over FS2, which obviously isn't how you do it.

All is not lost, however, since FS2 is a brilliant game which you can now also play in addition to Diaspora. When you calm down, I'd suggest looking up on the HLP forums on acquiring mediaVP files that can make your copy of FS2 look much, much better than the original game. The rest of it, story, missions, voice acting, is pretty much on stellar levels even by modern standards.

And I've been using that guide already.

I'm trying to get the FS2 open launcher to work but when I try and select the build I want to use I get the error "the launcher must be in the same directory as the binary".

Any advice? Thanks.

Is your "fs2_open_Diaspora_R1.exe" in the same folder as your "launcher.exe"? If the folder structure mess is a result of your attempting to install Diaspora over a fs2 installation, I'd advise reinstalling Diaspora clean from scratch before you proceed. Please do not use FS2 installation guides, Diaspora does some things differently and they'll just lead you in the wrong direction. One example would be trackIR support - with Diaspora, you can disregard that whole section of the fs2 installation tutorial because the required .dll is already bundled with the installation and no tinkering is needed. The installation is basically just running the downloaded .exe file, clicking next, running the launcher and setting up a few settings (such as resolution, joystick, etc).
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 06:03:53 am by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline newman

I've moved this to the appropriate sub-forum, please read the stickies before posting, in this case this one would have helped.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Okay, so I've just completely wasted my morning and 10 bucks. My own fault.

I just want to know one thing. Where can I get the stand alone mod for Diaspora? Because I cannot find it, or a link to it, anywhere. Maybe my annoyance has turned me into an idiot for a short while.

Thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 06:17:23 am by killkhan »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
killkhan:

Here's a quick-and-dirty version of how to install FSO and Diaspora.
First, a clarification: As newman, Echelon9, and the Diaspora install guide point out, Diaspora is a standalone game that does not require FreeSpace 2 to be installed anywhere. You can just use the executable installers provided by the Diaspora team to get it set up correctly. It'll even create start menu shortcuts and the like for ease of use.
The Diaspora Installer can be found here (Just scroll down to the "DOWNLOADS" section). There's also a patch a bit further down in the post that you should install as well.

Now, installing FreeSpace Open is rather simple.
1. Run the GoG installer. Tell it to put FS2 into a directory outside of C:\Program Files\ (Some people use C:\Games\ here). This is recommended because it'll make the process of installing mods much easier.
2. Install OpenAL. Unzip this archive, and run the installer within.
3. Install wxLauncher.
4. Download the FreeSpace Open executables. Unpack this archive and place the files in your FS2 directory.
5. In the FS2 directory, go to the data folder. Check if a folder named "movies" is present. If it isn't, please create it.
6. Copy all .mve files from FreeSpace2\data2 and FreeSpace2\data3 into this newly created folder.
7. Start wxLauncher. Tell it where FS2 is installed, and make any settings required.

These are all the steps required to get a functioning install of FSO, without any mods.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
 I would not say it was a complete waste as you'll have access to mods that do require FreeSpace 2 should you decide to play it after Diaspora.

As for the install, it already has all the files for standalone you just need to install it on it's own folder. Diaspora comes with everything already (or should at least.)

Offline newman

I would not say it was a complete waste as you'll have access to mods that do require FreeSpace 2 should you decide to play it after Diaspora.

As for the install, it already has all the files for standalone you just need to install it on it's own folder. Diaspora comes with everything already (or should at least.)

It does. The release thread contains all the information on ways to download it.

Thank you.

One more thing. Can I use my xbox 360 wired controller?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Qent

I think this has been suggested, but not stated explicitly enough: DO NOT install Diaspora in the same folder as FS2. Put it in C:\Games\Diaspora\ or something and FS2 in C:\Games\FreeSpace2\.

And you absolutely did not waste your money. FreeSpace 2 itself is a fine game and FreeSpace 1 has been ported to FS2. There are also many mods; Diaspora's being a standalone game is the exception rather than the rule.

Well I got it all working and it's rather impressive.

Thanks for the advice, and a big thanks for the game.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
So glad you got it sorted, this is a wonderful game developed by a great, intelligent and helpful community, please come back and try out some of the mod for FS2 also.

Now that's out of the way did anyone give you the welcome beam yet?

:welcome:

;)
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions