Author Topic: Slow input to response time  (Read 1625 times)

Slow input to response time
I often find that, while I have quite a high FPS (~60-70), ship controls like moving the mouse, tilting (Q, E), firing, and any other ship action will take somewhere between half a second and a second to react in-game. I don't think that it affects the game menus, etc (anything that isn't a game control, like clicking on a menu). Any suggestions as to why this might be and how to resolve it?

W/ fs2_o 3.6.18 (also 3.7), catalyst 13.6, arch linux
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 10:08:06 am by zheoffec »

Re: Slow input to response time
I often find that, while I have quite a high FPS (~60-70), ship controls like moving the mouse, tilting (Q, E), firing, and any other ship action will take somewhere between half a second and a second to react in-game. I don't think that it affects the game menus, etc (anything that isn't a game control, like clicking on a menu). Any suggestions as to why this might be and how to resolve it?
For firing, IIRC it indeed takes a little while for your guns to warm up and start firing. The perceived manoeuvrability lag might just be your ship getting up to desired rotation speed. Diaspora is an actual realistic simulator, not a top-down shooter :P Since the other parts of the game seem not to be affected, I'd be surprised if this was an actual code issue - me and several others played Diaspora on Linux as well, and we can confirm it works like a charm.

W/ fs2_o 3.19.18, catalyst 13.6, arch linux
3.19.18? Where did you get that version? :P Official builds don't go higher than 3.7.0.

Re: Slow input to response time
Sorry 3.19 was a typo :) Corrected to 3.6.18, added 3.7

No it is not the desired effect - when viewing my ship in 3rd person, the air nozzles that tilt the ship start half a second after the control. It is with everything - guns, rotation, boost, aim, etc.

I just noticed that it happens when i am not facing any possible targets, ie. staring into the stars. When I have a teammate for example in front of my visor thing, response time is fast and normal, even when they are not targeted.