Author Topic: FS2 not installing  (Read 7536 times)

Hello Guys,

Last week I got this nostalgic moment where I remembered freespace and how awesome it was. So I started searching to see if there is any remake or sequel and stumble on the FSO.

I tried downloading it and installing it but having problems. I downloaded the FS2 package and the FSO installer. Started the installer and i downloaded the basic package. I opened the wxlauncher and it wouldn't launch the game. It would give me an error "FS2 open exited with a status 255". After many tries and searches I decided to delete that folder and start fresh. This time the installer is giving me a problem with the innoextract (unlike the first time which I got to install the FS2 package) it gives me this message after aborting the installation:
The following errors were encountered:

Install FreeSpace 2 from GOG package: An error occurred while examining the GOG package using InnoExtract.  The file may not be a valid GOG setup file, or the system may have been unable to launch InnoExtract.  Check the log file for more details.
Copy GOG cutscenes to the data directory used by FreeSpace Open: Skipped because parent mod was not installed.

I attached the log file, can you please check it and let me know how I can fix it?

I am working on OS X.

Regards,
Patrick

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Can you attach a zip of the entire logs folder, not just the one log file you uploaded?

Here are the logs

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I had a friend get this exact error (255) while installing on OSX recently, and there's another thread reporting it too. This seems to be a very common install problem on Mac.

Is there fix for it or a workaround?
I use portingkit for other games. Is it possible that and the mods?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
My working theory is that it has to do with the 3.7.4 executables having been compiled for 10.11.5. I am not sure if they are runnable on older versions of OS X.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

I am running on 10.11.6

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I know GOG sometimes has issues downloading Installer files, the workaround IIRC was to download using GOG Downloader (instead of direct link from website or from GOG Galaxy <well, you probably weren't using GOG Galaxy I imagine>).

You could test if this is the case by attempting to install FS2 Retail from your GOG setup package.  If it fails, it's corrupt, if it succeeds and then you can install FSO on top of it with the Installer, then you had a problem with the Installer and the GOG package.

Using portingkit, the game installed without problems.
Now I tried to the FSO in the freespace 2 folder created by portingkit (/Applications/Games.localized/Freespace 2.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/GOG.com) and trying to install everything there, (wxlauncher, etc...)

I will let you know how it goes

I got some progress.
I used the FSO to download the the windows standard with the 2014 Media VP.
Then I used portingkit to create a custom wrapper and used it to open "fs2_open_3_7_4_SSE2.exe"
When I let it launch, it worked, the intro started but it was very low quality (1999 quality), got to the main screen, also same quality. I started a mission, and the new graphics were working (as a first glance it looks great, good job for the team that worked on it)

Now I am going the use the installer to get all the extra media (music, ogg cutscens, all the bells and whistles) and see how it will go

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
The high quality intro is the ogg cutscenes.

Seems there was an issue with the Installer and the InnoExtract GOG package not playing nice somehow, and it wasn't related to the GOG package itself.

well what happened is I tried installing it at first with the FSO and it worked and the installation itself worked but the wxlauncher did not help.
I tried a fresh install, the package wouldnt extract. so I restored the old one and I downloaded the windows standard in the same folder. It worked at least for 1 min, didnt try it for longer, just wanted to see if the graphics have changed

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
This might be overcome by events, but having had a chance to view the other log files, I noticed this...

Code: [Select]
2016-08-29 10:34:06,974 [pool-1-thread-1] INFO  com.fsoinstaller.wizard.InnoExtractTask - Running recursive chmod...
2016-08-29 10:34:06,974 [pool-1-thread-1] DEBUG com.fsoinstaller.wizard.InnoExtractTask - Running chmod on innoextract-1.4-osx
2016-08-29 10:34:06,974 [pool-1-thread-1] INFO  com.fsoinstaller.utils.MiscUtils - Working directory: /Users/Patrick/Games/Freespace 2/b55876d428e24717ba53d3ee258201ee
2016-08-29 10:34:06,974 [pool-1-thread-1] INFO  com.fsoinstaller.utils.MiscUtils - ProcessBuilder commands:
2016-08-29 10:34:06,974 [pool-1-thread-1] INFO  com.fsoinstaller.utils.MiscUtils - chmod
2016-08-29 10:34:06,974 [pool-1-thread-1] INFO  com.fsoinstaller.utils.MiscUtils - a+x
2016-08-29 10:34:06,974 [pool-1-thread-1] INFO  com.fsoinstaller.utils.MiscUtils - innoextract-1.4-osx
2016-08-29 10:34:06,983 [pool-1-thread-1] INFO  com.fsoinstaller.wizard.InnoExtractTask - Counting the number of files to be extracted...
2016-08-29 10:34:06,984 [pool-1-thread-1] INFO  com.fsoinstaller.utils.MiscUtils - Working directory: /Users/Patrick/Games/Freespace 2/b55876d428e24717ba53d3ee258201ee
2016-08-29 10:34:06,984 [pool-1-thread-1] INFO  com.fsoinstaller.utils.MiscUtils - File to run: /Users/Patrick/Games/Freespace 2/b55876d428e24717ba53d3ee258201ee/innoextract-1.4-osx
2016-08-29 10:34:06,984 [pool-1-thread-1] INFO  com.fsoinstaller.utils.MiscUtils - ProcessBuilder commands:
2016-08-29 10:34:06,984 [pool-1-thread-1] INFO  com.fsoinstaller.utils.MiscUtils - "/Users/Patrick/Games/Freespace 2/b55876d428e24717ba53d3ee258201ee/innoextract-1.4-osx"
2016-08-29 10:34:06,984 [pool-1-thread-1] INFO  com.fsoinstaller.utils.MiscUtils - --quiet
2016-08-29 10:34:06,984 [pool-1-thread-1] INFO  com.fsoinstaller.utils.MiscUtils - --list
2016-08-29 10:34:06,984 [pool-1-thread-1] INFO  com.fsoinstaller.utils.MiscUtils - "/Users/Patrick/Downloads/games/Freespace 2 (GOG)/setup_freespace_2.exe"
2016-08-29 10:34:06,986 [pool-1-thread-1] ERROR com.fsoinstaller.wizard.InnoExtractTask - Could not obtain file listing using innoextract!
java.io.IOException: Cannot run program ""/Users/Patrick/Games/Freespace 2/b55876d428e24717ba53d3ee258201ee/innoextract-1.4-osx"" (in directory "/Users/Patrick/Games/Freespace 2/b55876d428e24717ba53d3ee258201ee"): error=2, No such file or directory
at java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(ProcessBuilder.java:1048)
at com.fsoinstaller.wizard.InnoExtractTask.innoExtractListFiles(InnoExtractTask.java:264)
at com.fsoinstaller.wizard.InnoExtractTask.call0(InnoExtractTask.java:149)
at com.fsoinstaller.wizard.InnoExtractTask.call(InnoExtractTask.java:202)
at com.fsoinstaller.wizard.InstallItem$3.call(InstallItem.java:367)
at com.fsoinstaller.wizard.InstallItem$3.call(InstallItem.java:288)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: error=2, No such file or directory
at java.lang.UNIXProcess.forkAndExec(Native Method)
at java.lang.UNIXProcess.<init>(UNIXProcess.java:248)
at java.lang.ProcessImpl.start(ProcessImpl.java:134)
at java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(ProcessBuilder.java:1029)
... 9 more

The quotes are required on Windows, but perhaps they're not required on OSX.  First, please check whether the following files exist:
/Users/Patrick/Games/Freespace 2/b55876d428e24717ba53d3ee258201ee/innoextract-1.4-osx
/Users/Patrick/Downloads/games/Freespace 2 (GOG)/setup_freespace_2.exe

Then try running innoextract-1.4-osx --quiet --list setup_freespace_2.exe in a new, temporary directory, with both InnoExtract and the EXE file copied into that directory.

If all of that works, then try running the same command from the root directory, using the fully-qualified path name for both innoextract-1.4-osx and [setup_freespace_2.exe[/tt], and see how OSX handles spaces in the path.  Does it use quotes, and if so, where?  Does it use something else, e.g. backslash before space?

Goober, can you guide me step by step how to do this. I am new to Mac (less than 2 months)

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
My working theory is that it has to do with the 3.7.4 executables having been compiled for 10.11.5. I am not sure if they are runnable on older versions of OS X.
I'm doubtful this is the issue although not sure. The FSO 3.7.4 .app metadata (Info.plist file inside the app bundle) lists the minimum system version as 10.7 (Lion).

The high quality intro is the ogg cutscenes.
AFAIK there are no high-quality versions of the FS2 cutscenes. The ogg versions are just the retail cutscenes re-encoded in Ogg Theora format.

well what happened is I tried installing it at first with the FSO and it worked and the installation itself worked but the wxlauncher did not help.
What do you mean by "did not help"? Can you be more precise? Please provide as much details as you can.

I tried a fresh install, the package wouldnt extract
Which package wouldn't extract?

so I restored the old one and I downloaded the windows standard in the same folder. It worked at least for 1 min, didnt try it for longer, just wanted to see if the graphics have changed
What do you mean by Windows standard?

Goober, can you guide me step by step how to do this. I am new to Mac (less than 2 months)
Open the Terminal app: First open Spotlight search by clicking on the magnifying glass icon near the upper-right corner of the screen. In the search box that comes up, type "terminal.app" (without the quotes). Then double click on the "Terminal" option that comes up on the left sidebar of the Spotlight window.

After the Terminal window comes up, type the following command

Note that you can click on the "[Select]" link next to the "Code:" label to quickly select the entire command. You can copy it by pressing Command+C. Then click on the Terminal window and paste the command in by typing Command+V. By Command+C I mean press the C key while holding down the Command key. The Command key is the key with a clover leaf-type symbol on it that  is directly to the left and right of the space bar.

ls "/Users/Patrick/Games/Freespace 2/b55876d428e24717ba53d3ee258201ee/innoextract-1.4-osx"

The ls command is the OS X equivalent of Windows's dir command.

If the file exists, you'll get this message in the Terminal window:
/Users/Patrick/Games/Freespace 2/b55876d428e24717ba53d3ee258201ee/innoextract-1.4-osx

If the file doesn't exist, you'll get this message in the Terminal window:
ls: /Users/Patrick/Games/Freespace 2/b55876d428e24717ba53d3ee258201ee/innoextract-1.4-osx: No such file or directory

Now try checking if the second file Goober mentioned exists on your machine. Copy and paste this command into the Terminal window:
ls "/Users/Patrick/Downloads/games/Freespace 2 (GOG)/setup_freespace_2.exe"

If the file exists, you'll get this message in the Terminal window:
/Users/Patrick/Downloads/games/Freespace 2 (GOG)/setup_freespace_2.exe

Similarly, if the file doesn't exist, you'll get this error in the Terminal window:
ls: /Users/Patrick/Downloads/games/Freespace 2 (GOG)/setup_freespace_2.exe: No such file or directory

If both of those commands work, then you can try running innoextract with the FS2 GOG installer in a temporary folder like Goober says.
mkdir FS2TempFolder
This creates the temporary folder. I just made up the folder name.

cd FS2TempFolder
This changes directories so you are now working in the temporary folder you just created with the previous command.

cp /Users/Patrick/Games/Freespace\ 2/b55876d428e24717ba53d3ee258201ee/innoextract-1.4-osx .
This copies the innoextract executable into the temporary folder.

cp /Users/Patrick/Downloads/games/Freespace\ 2\ \(GOG\)/setup_freespace_2.exe .
This copies the FS2 GOG installer into the temporary folder.

./innoextract-1.4-osx --quiet --list setup_freespace_2.exe
This runs the innoextract (installer extractor) on the FS2 GOG installer.

We can figure out where to go based on what happens from there.

To remove the temporary folder after you're done with it:

cd
This switches directories to your home folder, which is the folder you start in when you open the Terminal app.

open .
This opens your home folder in OS X's Finder, which is the OS X equivalent of Windows's Explorer. You can then drag the FS2TempFolder to the Trash.

You can paste the messages displayed in the Terminal into a post here by clicking on the Terminal window and pressing Command+A (which does a Select All), then copying and pasting with Command+C and Command+V like you did with copying and pasting commands into the Terminal window.

I'm gonna see if I can reproduce these installer issues. I am using a Mid-2015 MacBook Pro running OS X 10.11.3.

EDIT: Goober, are you sure setup_freespace_2.exe is the right name of the GOG installer file? I just started downloading the latest FS2 installer off of GOG and it says the file name is setup_freespace2_2.0.0.8.exe.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 10:24:45 am by jg18 »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

Well, I don't have a Mac myself, so I can't guide you step-by-step.  I defer to others such as jg18 who are more knowledgeable in this area.  (BTW jg18, well done; that was far more detailed and comprehensive than I would have written even on Windows.)

EDIT: Goober, are you sure setup_freespace_2.exe is the right name of the GOG installer file? I just started downloading the latest FS2 installer off of GOG and it says the file name is setup_freespace2_2.0.0.8.exe.

In this particular case, the file is the result of the user selecting it through a dialog, so it does indeed have that filename on his system.  Perhaps he renamed it after downloading.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
Reproduced I think. Installer seems to work okay including extracting the GOG installer  except for not detecting OpenAL, a minor issue that's not relevant to the matter here. But something is wrong with the 3.7.4 FSO builds for OS X that the installer retrieves. When I double-click on the builds in OS X Finder, I get an error popup "The application “FS2_Open 3.7.4.app” can’t be opened."

I then tried downloading 3.7.4 from the release thread and those builds work fine as far as I can tell.

How are the FSO OS X builds that the installer retrieves being stored on the server? Ideally they should be stored in a .zip file that was created on OS X and is then extracted at install time to ensure that the app bundles' symbolic links and Unix file permissions are preserved.

pjreijiri, can you try using the FreeSpace Open installer on OS X again (or using your old copy of the installation if you still have it) and using the 3.7.4 builds from the release thread? You'll need to download the fs2_open_3.7.4.dmg file from the release thread, open the .dmg file, and copy the files in it to your installation on OS X. Those builds should work, including with wxLauncher.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that Java was not installed by default on El Capitan (10.11.6). I had to download the Java Standard Edition (SE) JDK from Oracle and install it, which used up like half a GB of disk space. Oh well.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 12:53:41 am by jg18 »

jg18 thank you for your recommendation. I got the dmg and got the FS2_Open 3.7.4 from the link you gave me. The wxlauncher worked well. The flags were there and was able to launch the game.

There is still one glitch, the screen is not centered. what I mean is sometimes half of the game is outside the actual screen and sometimes it is inside the screen (mostly) but the mouse can't go all the way to the edges.

I tried different resolutions none of them worked, you can check the attached pictures to know what I mean

Edit: these a full screen shots

« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 04:02:46 am by pjreijiri »

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
Hmm, graphical glitches are somewhat outside of my expertise. Hoping someone else better versed in that can chime in.

Only idea I have offhand is to try the -res custom flag, which forces the game to use a specified resolution. You'll need to enter it manually in the custom flags box on the launcher's Advanced Settings page.

http://hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Command-Line_Reference#-res

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Holy **** that's a weird bug.