Author Topic: Possible new UI systems for FSO  (Read 1750 times)

Offline Eli2

Re: Possible new UI systems for FSO
I am watching the game gui space for a few years now, and to be honest, i am not sure what the right course of action is.

Freeablo recently removed libRocket (https://freeablo.org/?p=105) not sure if mygui is the best choice thou.
Overgrowth switched their editor gui (in Beta 2), from embedded browser (awesomium i think) to imgui.
CEGUI seems to be the largest/active library in this space.

I don't have any solutions to offer but i am eagerly watching this space to see how it plays out.

Offline m!m

CEGUI seems like a good idea for a UI controlled by the engine C++ code but scripting access is an absolute must-have for the new UI system and I can't find much information about lua support for CEGUI.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Visionary modder and coder
    • Twitter
CEGUI seems like a good idea for a UI controlled by the engine C++ code but scripting access is an absolute must-have for the new UI system and I can't find much information about lua support for CEGUI.

There's lua support for CEGUI. Check this out: http://cegui.org.uk/wiki/Getting_Started_with_Lua_and_CEGUI

And what about the interface.tbl support? Can CEGUI support this?
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Campaigns:
FreeSpace: Reunited - Shattered Stars

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Twitter
interface.tbl currently does nothing and we have made no firm decisions about how we are going to define interfaces in the future.
**** every cause that ends in murder and children crying. ― Iain Banks
Join the fun at the HLP IRC channel. Get the latest spam and gossip as long as it's fresh!

Offline m!m

There's lua support for CEGUI. Check this out: http://cegui.org.uk/wiki/Getting_Started_with_Lua_and_CEGUI
I am aware of that page but I first need to check if integrating CEGUI into FSO is possible at all.

No, CEGUI would use its own markup language for defining interfaces so there is no need to use our own markup language.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Visionary modder and coder
    • Twitter
interface.tbl currently does nothing and we have made no firm decisions about how we are going to define interfaces in the future.
I'm keeping this in mind when it comes to this, as with other features I've planned since 2009.

No, CEGUI would use its own markup language for defining interfaces so there is no need to use our own markup language.
What about mission loading screens? Animated? Pre-rendered? Real-time? 3D? Independent-resolution ones? Can they be in 3D theoretically (as cockpit displays or space signages)?
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Campaigns:
FreeSpace: Reunited - Shattered Stars

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Offline m!m

What about mission loading screens? Animated? Pre-rendered? Real-time? 3D? Independent-resolution ones? Can they be in 3D theoretically (as cockpit displays or space signages)?
I have no plans of adding support any of those applications at the moment.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam