Author Topic: Why keep this separate?  (Read 6091 times)

Why keep this separate?
After a considerable amount of time and effort, I think I've figured out what "Media VPs" does. You guys are updating the models for the game, right? I put it this way because it's really hard to decipher right now. To a layman...heck, to anyone except you guys, "Media VPs" doesn't mean anything. After loading it up and checking out some of the new models, I'm really sad, because the new models look great, and I wish I had played through the game with them.

Having recently re-installed Freespace 2 after a long absence, I came back, and played through FSPort. After finishing, I decided to flip through the mods, since the game is giving me a little warning when trying to launch Silent Threat saying to play the Reborn version instead. My curiousity upon seeing "Mediavps" is the only reason I even realized this exists. In fact, I still don't know if I'm supposed to use it...do I load up fsport-str, or do I play Silent Threat through the Media VP's? I think you're losing a lot of your audience, not only by keeping it separate, but by having a confusing name.

I'm assuming this is a different team from the FSPort team, but why not combine them?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Why keep this separate?
Because these are two different projects, with different goals. The FSPort's goal is to make FS1 accessible to those who only own FS2, the MediaVPs goal is to make the game look and sound better using modern models and effects. Merging the two projects is not something we're keen on doing, since it would run counter to some of the goals the FSPort team has set for itself (The FSPort, in its un-MediaVPs form, runs on FS2 retail, whereas the MediaVPs require FS2_Open and its modding support).
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
not sure if you are talking about the regular mediavp or the port-mediavps

Regular MediaVPs is a resource to make the game look and sound better and while most mods reference it it can interfere with mods not designed to use it so is generally kept separate from the main FS install, it also helps with troubleshooting and upgrading the vps with each version.

Port-mediavps is kept separate due to a desire to keep FS-Port retail FS2 compatible which many of the updates in the folder would block.

due to a quirk in how the thing is set up i believe you launch with port-mediavps, though its been a while since i ran port so that could be wrong
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Stepping back from the fsport-mediavps vs mediavps point, there is merit to the idea of having a clearer name than "MediaVPs".  Maybe the label in the installer could be changed to "Graphical Updates" or some similar wording? (Note that I'm not advocating changing the name on disk as that'd cause a heaps of issues).
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Yeah, I've always felt it should be named something obvious like "Assets Upgrade" instead. The name "MediaVPs" just doesn't mean anything.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Modern graphics upgrade (2014)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Modern graphics upgrade (2014)

Media graphics upgrade? (more similar to the name on disk if they looked)

Online Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The FSPort's goal is to make FS1 accessible to those who only own FS2
I want to clarify that this isn't quite correct.  The FSPort's goal is to enhance and upgrade FS1 era campaigns so that they can run on the FS2 engine -- and, by association, the FreeSpace Open engine.  Our goal is not to provide a substitute for FS1.  We encourage everybody who uses the FSPort, but only has FS2, to buy FS1 so that they can experience the game as it was originally released.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
HD Graphics Pack would be my pitch - it has the best affordable to contemporary gamers.

Please ditch the MVPs name.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
HD Graphics Pack would be my pitch - it has the best affordable to contemporary gamers.

Please ditch the MVPs name.

Absolutely concur.  This confused the hell out of me when I first found this place too.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Affordance not affordable!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I agree with this sentiment. "HD Upgrade pack" sounds boring, but boring is what we (or rather, the new users) need.

The problem of course is that _everything_ here and in the mod.inis refers to the MediaVPs.

Offline Lorric

I can see why you'd want to change the name. Just keep in mind they've been called mediavps for so long that many used to that will still call them mediavps. It could cause more confusion changing it than leaving it as-is. Especially if you change the names of all previous versions. This is the first time I've seen someone miss the mediavps. Everyone normally installs them just fine. The enhanced graphics are probably the most obvious thing FSO brings to the table. Most people even if they don't get the mediavps will notice the graphics are still retail and come looking for the reason why. Lots of files have obscure names.

And what The E said, so much material refers to mediavps. With that as well, I think it would be preferable to leave the name alone.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
E, I think we need to approach this as a branding thing. The name obviously needs to change, but we can figure out a way to do it with limited wake. Moving to 'MVP HD Pack' or 'MVP Graphics Pack' is probably a good first step. We can alter the mod.ini name without altering the folder name.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
The problem of course is that _everything_ here and in the mod.inis refers to the MediaVPs.
So don't change the mod.ini files.

(Note that I'm not advocating changing the name on disk as that'd cause a heaps of issues).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
E, I think we need to approach this as a branding thing. The name obviously needs to change, but we can figure out a way to do it with limited wake. Moving to 'MVP HD Pack' or 'MVP Graphics Pack' is probably a good first step. We can alter the mod.ini name without altering the folder name.

Right you are. Heat must be affecting me more severely than I thought.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The support and documentation wake will be larger, but I think we can absorb it.

Offline Lorric

What about people who search the forum and find instructions to install vps or mods saying compatible with certain vps? Or people who don't know the new name giving out conflicting information. Threads going back years saying mod X and campaign Y requires mediavps. All mods with their own mediavps use the mediavps naming convention.

Are we all going to have to rename our vps if the name is changed, or rename other things?

It's a big can of worms. I wouldn't open it just because one person missed the mediavps. What happens when someone misses one of the other obscure named files?

Almost all of us know and understand the mediavps naming convention. Let's keep it that way and help others to understand it too. If a change is to be made, how about the next time there's a new set of mediavps?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
We can start by improving the installer's affordance. Let's move the nomenclature there to 'MVP 2014 Graphics Pack'. Should help explain to new users what the MVPs do. Any objections?

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Graphics upgrades are obviously the vast majority of what MVPs contains, but it has music and sounds too, so having a name which implies that it's graphics only might not be such a good idea.