Author Topic: Lighting test for WiH  (Read 49539 times)

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
I have yet to find any real use for it that isn't "I want to hit the front beam cannons of that capital ship that is moving forward"

If you use reverse aftterburn real quick you can break out of dogfight 'chase loops' with the and end up being the one with your guns to the enemy. It can be a huge advantage if used right. I can see how this would be abused if BP ever went multi.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
I have yet to find any real use for it that isn't "I want to hit the front beam cannons of that capital ship that is moving forward"

If you use reverse aftterburn real quick you can break out of dogfight 'chase loops' with the and end up being the one with your guns to the enemy. It can be a huge advantage if used right. I can see how this would be abused if BP ever went multi.

*shudders at the tought of playing against QD in BP multi*

Either your speaker system, or a dislike for the genre.
Drop the elitism, please.

Listen to the cymbals and drums around 0:59 and a fair bit afterwards. Its maybe just all the combat noise driving the whole thing into clipping that overall part, not 100% sure.

anyhow, the part between 1:00 and 1:16, listen to the guitar and the drums. Something sounds so wrong at that part...

[edit] also, by listening to other youtube stuff, it doesnt seem like its my sound system. (nothing stellar at the moment, integrated realtek and sony headphones, but it didnt distort stuff in that particular way ever.)

[edit#2] nope, no way is it my sound system in any way. tell me, how did you add the particular song in and in which format was it originally?

[edit#3] yeah its in the original song, and there's not much that can be done about it. the author while doing it in Fruity Loops didnt pay too much attention to the drums when mixing it together and they tend to overpower the guitar sound strongly at that point. (link for those interested)

[edit#] as a side note, i greatly prefer this version of the song. If yer gonna do a metal-ish cover, then do it right :p

i think that thats it from the edits from me :p
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 07:31:21 pm by pecenipicek »
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Kolgena

So... why exactly are we getting into an audiophile discussion? I thought we were on the topic of pretty lights.

Speaking of which, (while these are not from BP): behold the application of the filters to King's Gambit. You say that the beams are too big? I can't hear you over HOW AWESOME THESE LOOK. (actually, I should totally take some time out to see if the smaller beams actually look any good)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Hey, been a long time since colours didn't appear in that thread. **** IT DESATURATION LOVERS. trololololol
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
preeeetty
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline NFSRacer

• Professional aircraft crasher!
    • Steam
Oooooh!  Shiny!
"Said 'It was up to us.  Up to us, to decide.  You've become a virus that eating up it host.  We've been watching you with all our eye, and what you seem to value most.  'So much potential'.  Or so we used to say.  Your greed, self-importance, and your arrogance, you p*** it all away.'" - NIN from Year Zero

Offline -Sara-

So... why exactly are we getting into an audiophile discussion? I thought we were on the topic of pretty lights.

Speaking of which, (while these are not from BP): behold the application of the filters to King's Gambit. You say that the beams are too big? I can't hear you over HOW AWESOME THESE LOOK. (actually, I should totally take some time out to see if the smaller beams actually look any good)

Looks good! Too many colours for my personal preference (that's just a matter of taste) but it really works and improves over the original lighting.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
Oh. WHat is firing that?  :D I mean mjolnirs are not visible at all. And you need... um... 5 pulses to take down a Deimos? Width of the beam suggests me that it is more powerful. It looks cool, but to me it feels a little wrong.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline Kolgena

Looks good! Too many colours for my personal preference (that's just a matter of taste) but it really works and improves over the original lighting.

While I found your desaturated (reminds me of a film effect where you wash everything in a silver salt--I think) settings stylistically beautiful, they're a pain in the ass to play with. Readability of everything goes waaay down when colors aren't apparent.

Offline -Sara-

While I found your desaturated (reminds me of a film effect where you wash everything in a silver salt--I think) settings stylistically beautiful, they're a pain in the ass to play with. Readability of everything goes waaay down when colors aren't apparent.

My monitor is probably too bright on the settings. It doubles as television and has 'dynamic brightness' whatever that is. :) Stuff prints darker from my printer too than how it appears on the monitor. Going to fiddle a bit with the files at some point to make a somewhat brighter version.

edit: seems to have a 'MagicBright' feature enabled, going to see if I can turn it off.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 10:06:00 am by -Sara- »
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
YEAH! Eat real beams you PAX!
el hombre vicio...

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I just noticed that I completely forgot to give credits to where credits are due in the first post. :( Now I am ashamed of myself. Added credits to first post now.

Thank KeldorKatarn, The E and Zacam for these new shaders which will find their way to mediavps eventually. And thank taylor for rewriting post processing code.
Sorry about that.

Offline Firartix

• Random Noob
<The following post is useless>

Hey! I tried all this stuff with very strong sets. It's nice. (What else can I say anyway??! Everyone else already said about how cool it is!)

Though, somethings annoys me, idk what might be the cause, but it feels real strange...
The Uriel's cockpit. Whereas it was usually shows up quite clearly, you can only barely see it with the post processing stuff.... unless facing the sun. I don't think it has anything to do w/ launcher sets though... tried a couple and it remained same.

BTW, i tried with the lighting sets recommended on the first post and the whole lighting deal somehow feels odd to me.... as if you couldn't see stuff at all in certain places, whereas you see em really clearly in others (eg the cormorant in the opening cutscene, i never ever knew what it was like before applying those).

Other than that, all i can say is that it's so much shiny it's not even fair anymore !
This might be some weird impression but i seriously feel like the flak is way more dangerous than before. You see it coming much more clearly o_o

.......... now i know i kept talking about "weird" and "strange" stuff but i really can't express it any other way. I know that's weird.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
New Uriel cockpit lacks glowmaps, so maybe that's the case.
I'm someday going to make a cockpit pack which uses old models and cockpits with glow maps, or a "Show ship" flag and edited glowmaps.
The second solution would require SCP to fix the cockpit glass transparency problem though.

Offline NFSRacer

• Steam
The glass transparency isn't all that bad for me, but I really hate the Erinies cockpit!  That's feakin' bar just gets in the way all the time!  Still, that's for a different topic, not this.
"Said 'It was up to us.  Up to us, to decide.  You've become a virus that eating up it host.  We've been watching you with all our eye, and what you seem to value most.  'So much potential'.  Or so we used to say.  Your greed, self-importance, and your arrogance, you p*** it all away.'" - NIN from Year Zero

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Don't use visible cockpit. Problem solved.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline NFSRacer

• Steam
Well, I like to have them to enhance the feel of the game, but we digress.  We can talk about it in a different topic.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken