Bobboau's original remodeling.
5 (5.6%)
Galemp's bold remapping.
69 (76.7%)
I never liked the Orion anyway...
10 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Voting closed: October 10, 2005, 03:49:19 am

Author Topic: The Ultimate Orion  (Read 32336 times)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
It's not adding another texture, it's THAT texture.  It is just so wholly out of place on an Orion that every time I see it I just think "that doesn't belong on an Orion".  I've got an idea, let me toy with something for a few minutes...
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
I think it rules.

Best one yet.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Originally posted by MatthewPapa
someone put this in the SCP media VPs

Done. :)

:yes: :yes: :yes:
-C

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Wow. Galemp, you are a god.
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
I hate the Orion.

That said, great work, man. Your texturing really brings out the underlying geometry, resulting in a vastly improved final product.

And the chance to see Trashman complain about someone else's high polycounts was just too classic. :D
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
If someone would like to make a replacement for the freighter tile, do so by all means... however, please keep the [X] support beams. They're lined up with the geometry in many places.

Originally posted by Roanoke
"Rule of Four" ?

The Rule of Four is an old cartographic theory; namely, that any 2D map (as of countries) can be colored in with only four colors, with no two sectors of the same color touching. I tried to apply this to the Orion; since it is broken into chunks, I made sure no two touching chunks had the same texture.

One more thing. I have a UV map for the light blue tile. If anyone wants to try making a new full-body texture that fits the geometry I'll provide them with the map.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Well, its actually a topological generalization of a cartographic idea, Galemp, but why nitpick. ;)
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
[color=66ff00]This bloody rules! :yes:

Mighty work GE. :nod:
[/color]

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Originally posted by Galemp
Poop Deck, Before and After. Note the new radar dishes, using fewer polies than Bobboau's.
Homer: "Uh, is the Poop deck really what I think it is...?"
Skipper: "Ha! Son, I like the cut of your Jib"
Homer: "What's a Jib?"
Skipper: "Ha! ...Promote that man"
« Last Edit: September 10, 2005, 11:46:55 pm by 2686 »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Mefustae
"Uh, is the Poop deck really what I think it is...?"
It's the stern, naturally.  If they threw it off the bow it would blow right back in their faces. :D

Wow. Now all we need is for the Bastion version to incorporate the same textures...

Offline Raptor

You managed to improve Bob's Orion.  Nice work there GE!

Thing is, I don't particularly like Bob's orion mesh.  It's just too 'Busy' for me.  I kinda liked the orginal better in that regard.  It may have been a box, but it had 'something'...

...Hence why I started my own Orion model too:nervous:
...There ought to be something surreal about a Zoid offering romantic advice...and yet there is not. It seems perfectly normal that the Liger is giving Bit advice on relationships, and it shouldn't, but it does. Dangit man, you've confused me again.[/I]
NGTM-R review of one of the chapters in my fanfic story :D Story is here! -> 'Ancient Legacies'

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Gregster2k
Wow. Now all we need is for the Bastion version to incorporate the same textures...

Ah. But if we keep the bastion the way it is now it makes it bloody obvious why they're decommissioning it :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Hmmm....how about this one for the regular orions....

And Raptor's more basic one for the Bastion? :drevil:
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Originally posted by karajorma

Ah. But if we keep the bastion the way it is now it makes it bloody obvious why they're decommissioning it :D

"BAD TEXTURES - OFF WITH MESON BOMBS YOU GO!"

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Originally posted by Goober5000
It's the stern, naturally.  If they threw it off the bow it would blow right back in their faces. :D

(Somewhat OFFTOPIC)

Actually the poop place used to be on the bow of sailing ships.
The reason was two fold:
- It was downwind
- The splash of the waves kept it cleen

BTW Wiki is fanstastic, for us (non-native speakers) and the navy/ship wise not so initiated I recommend the following page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship

On a space-going ship though that place seems logical.
BTW, the following page is good for taking general ship design principles:

http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/index.html

It has a very good article on why spaceships would inherit some of the sea-traditions; as well as a detailed explanation of how the parts of a spaceship are named.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Gah! My mouse is drawing it's last breaths. I'm having trouble writing this as I have to hld the cord steady with the mouse hand or else it drops dead :(

Anyway, here's what I got so far:

Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by TrashMan
Anyway, here's what I got so far:
I like it.  Not as overdone as Bobboau's. :yes:

I always thought that simplicity was better in models, at least as far as the overall shape goes.  Hi-polying should be done via greebles and detailing, not adding new subobjects all over the place.  (This doesn't detract from the quality of Galemp's texturing, of course. ;))

Offline Roanoke

Originally posted by Goober5000
I like it.  Not as overdone as Bobboau's. :yes:

I always thought that simplicity was better in models, at least as far as the overall shape goes.  Hi-polying should be done via greebles and detailing, not adding new subobjects all over the place.  (This doesn't detract from the quality of Galemp's texturing, of course. ;))

Agreed. Some of the mapping is slightly strecthed though. Better than overtiled though.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Trashman, if you fixed the stretching and made the comm array more like Bobboau's, it'd be perfect.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock