Author Topic: No Campaign Using Steam FS2 with WXLauncher, 2014 Media VPs  (Read 2181 times)

No Campaign Using Steam FS2 with WXLauncher, 2014 Media VPs
Hello, trying to get my Steam copy of FS2 working with FSO. 

Finding that many with Windows 8 switch from the FSO Launcher to WX Launcher, I did so after having a number of errors.

I also installed the 2014 Media VPs, wanting the latest.

Unfortunately, when I start I get a screen saying that no campaigns are available for loading.  I have not been able to find anything on the forums with a similar error.

I did leave FS2 in its original Steam folder. 

Please help!

main_hall_init() was passed a blank main hall name; loading first available main hall.
ntdll.dll! NtWaitForSingleObject + 12 bytes
KERNELBASE.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2_RC3-DEBUG.exe! SCP_DumpStack + 354 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2_RC3-DEBUG.exe! Warning + 416 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2_RC3-DEBUG.exe! main_hall_init + 213 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2_RC3-DEBUG.exe! game_enter_state + 323 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2_RC3-DEBUG.exe! gameseq_set_state + 310 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2_RC3-DEBUG.exe! game_process_event + 134 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2_RC3-DEBUG.exe! gameseq_process_events + 152 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2_RC3-DEBUG.exe! game_main + 782 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2_RC3-DEBUG.exe! WinMain + 330 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2_RC3-DEBUG.exe! __tmainCRTStartup + 358 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2_RC3-DEBUG.exe! WinMainCRTStartup + 15 bytes
KERNEL32.DLL! BaseThreadInitThunk + 14 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 132 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 90 bytes

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: No Campaign Using Steam FS2 with WXLauncher, 2014 Media VPs
The message you've posted is only a warning generated by the debug build. You should be able to select "no" to continue past that point.

Having said that, that message probably isn't related to an error about no campaigns being available.  Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

The log, attached.

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Your pilot seems to have last played the campaign "Freespace" (from the mod FSPort aka. Freespace 1). The mediavps_2014 mod doesn't have this campaign which is why it's complaining.  When you get that error you should have an option to "Go to campaign room".  If you click on that you should be able to select the "Freespace 2" campaign and continue playing.

If that isn't what's happening, could you please take a screenshot of the error and post it?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Starting a new pilot worked just fine thanks!  I must have created that pilot when I trial-booted FS1. 

Now if I can only figure out why I can't get this to run full screen, I have 1600x900 selected for resolution.

Seems like everytime I reload this game I am back on the forums.  worth it though!

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Good news re: the new pilot :)

Regarding running in fullscreen, Freespace Open has recently changed the menus (not gameplay) to be pillarboxed by default on widescreen resolutions (instead of stretching).  Is this the issue you're having? Does it look correct when you play a mission?

If you don't like the menus pillarboxing and you'd prefer stretching, you can enable the launcher flag "Stretch Interface to fill screen".
----
----

Yup, menus and gameplay both are pillarboxed, despite having it set up for 1600x900 resolution in wxLauncher.

Any ideas?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
OK, your log said that the video resolution was 1024x768, so I think that the problem is probably missing registry entries. Therefore can you please:

1) find launcher.exe that came with Steam version of Freespace 2 and run it once as administrator then exit without running Freespace2 (this should create the missing registry entries)
2) back as a normal user, run wxlauncher again and see if resolution is correctly set to 1600x900.

If that doesn't work, could you please post another log?
----
----

Hello, I tried these methods as well as moving the whole install to C: games just in case (from steam default...that was its own set of troubles).

I have it working correctly again but with the same pillarbox issue.

Here is my log.  any ideas?

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Sorry that this is being such a hassle to get working correctly.  The log still says that its running at 1024x768.  I do have a few more ideas:

1) Try adding the following custom flag in the launcher: -res 1600x900 (Advanced Settings tab, in the Custom Flags box)

That is basically bypassing the issue.  To do some more troubleshooting:

2) could you post a screenshot of all the registry entries in one of these locations (whichever is valid for your computer)?
Default location is: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> Volition -> Freespace2
OR
On 64 bit Windows: HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Classes -> VirtualStore -> MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Wow6432Node -> Volition -> Freespace2

3) could you take a screenshot of Freespace Open when its running so I can see the pillarboxing?

----
----

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
3) could you take a screenshot of Freespace Open when its running so I can see the pillarboxing?
Just reiterating that the screenshot should be inside of a mission (after the briefing, when you're flying around in your ship), as the menus are expected to be 1024x768.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

the workaround worked fine!  thanks for your help