Author Topic: How to enable a 'high resolution' HUD?  (Read 4571 times)

How to enable a 'high resolution' HUD?
Hello everybody!

After many years i gave Freespace a look and totally got stuck with it again :) Its amazing how much work and love many members of this community put into that "old pearl" - this game is *still* a blast to play thanks to you.

I played through the main Campaign using mediavps_2014 and the FSO 3.7.0 / 3.7.1 build. One of the main difference i noticed was the 'crispier' looking high-resolution HUD - see Screenshot.
At the moment, iam playing the Derelict Campaign (Version: 3.7.0) using the media_vps 3.6.12 and FSO 3.7.0 (as recommended). Doing so i seem to get the "legacy" (=lower resolution) HUD - see 2nd Screenshot.

Now i wonder if there is a way to get this high-resolution HUD for the Derelict Mod (and any other Mod that will definitely follow..) -  so i came here in the hope that some of you experts can help me...

kind regards

PS: Just in case you wonder, iam using the german retail version of the game back from '99 :)

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 10:11:06 pm by Eaglesix »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: How to enable a 'high resolution' HUD?
I believe the difference lies in the fact that Derelict is invoking the 3.6.12 MediaVPs, which doesn't include an up-to-date hud gauge table.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
The difference is that recent nightlies incorporate Yarn's HUD patches, and 3.7.0 does not. Do you encounter problems if you run Derelict with a recent nightly instead of 3.7.0?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
You sure? We were running high-quality HUDs well before 3.7.0.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Oh, wait, I forgot that the 2014 MVPs -hdg.tbl had "$Scale Gauges: no". That's the main cause of the difference (of course, that won't do anything without a recent nightly).

EDIT: Also, does your 3.6.12 MVPs have a data/tables/mv_root-hdg.tbm file?

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Hello and thanks for you help!

Iam currently using 2 executables... that would be FSO 3.7.0 (the last 'official release'  (http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=85435.0) and a nightly build : FSO 3.7.1 Revision 10273 (1st January).
Unfortunately the mediavp_2014 won't work with Derelict 3.7.0 because at some point of the Campaign a waypoint won't appear at all where it should be and you can't complete the mission.
(using 3.7.1 FSO + mediavp_3612 made no difference)

I attached the content of my mediavp_3612 folder..

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The stock MVPs don't contain a high-resolution hud table, as far as I know, so you won't get a high-quality HUD in campaigns that use the 3.6.12 MVPs unless those campaigns shipped their own HUD (only BP as far as I know, though total conversions like Diaspora also have their own snappy HUDs).

Okay thank you! Sad, but anyway its good to know where which part is responsible for the 'crispy' HUDs.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I just saw a gorgeous HUD screenshot from BtA, if you are a fan of really gorgeous HUDs you should admire it!

I love how you can spot BtA screens just by the color palette. Artsy.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
(using 3.7.1 FSO + mediavp_3612 made no difference)
Hmm, I thought the default HUD got changed along with Yarn's patches. Still, if you want the 2014 MVPs HUD in Derelict, you can always take mv_root-hdg.tbm out of MV_Root.vp (alternatively, if you don't want to get a VP-viewing/extracting program, I have attached it to this post). Just stick it in either the Derelict or 3.6.12 MVPs data/tables folder (and remember that the "$Scale Gauges: no" line will make earlier builds, like 3.7.0, complain).

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

It worked, as you promised - crispy HUD :) So I guess using FSO 3.7.1 + and the "enhanced" mediavp_3612 setup should work for similar mods too... should it? Thanks a lot for your fast help!

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
It worked, as you promised - crispy HUD :) So I guess using FSO 3.7.1 + and the "enhanced" mediavp_3612 setup should work for similar mods too... should it? Thanks a lot for your fast help!
Anything that doesn't provide its own HUD, yes.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It might actually prevent you from playing Blue Planet but since BP comes with its own high-res HUD you can just remove it. And I'm not sure, there may be no issue.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Hmm, I thought the default HUD got changed along with Yarn's patches.

The default HUD was changed with Yarn's patches, except the default is to scale gauges to match the current resolution which can result in fuzzy looking gauges.  The mediavps_2014 disable the gauge scaling... which makes gauges look teeny-tiny on very large resolutions (in theory this could be worked around by creating higher res duplicates of the retail gauges and using a resolution filter in the hud table to use the bigger gauges on "large" screen resolutions... or we could get someone to add SVG support to FSO ;))
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If SVG support is ever added, I will personally remake all the HUD graphics myself.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

It might actually prevent you from playing Blue Planet but since BP comes with its own high-res HUD you can just remove it. And I'm not sure, there may be no issue.

Yup... so its "workaround from this thread" for legacy HUD mods and "no workaround" for mods that use their own HUD.

PS: Looking forward to Blue Planet! :)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Yup... so its "workaround from this thread" for legacy HUD mods and "no workaround" for mods that use their own HUD.
Well, if the HUD was designed for HD screens, you don't need a workaround; BP's built-in HUD will look just fine.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so