Author Topic: OpenAL info in fs2_open.log incorrect?  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Yarn

OpenAL info in fs2_open.log incorrect?
Specifically, I'm referring to this part of the log:

Code: [Select]
Initializing OpenAL...
  OpenAL Vendor     : Creative Labs Inc.
  OpenAL Renderer   : SB X-Fi Audio [0001]
  OpenAL Version    : OpenAL version 1.1

This example is the information for my Sound Blaster X-Fi card, which has a hardware OpenAL renderer, but it's written to the log even if I use Generic Software or OpenAL Soft.

The game seems to be logging the information for the default OpenAL device, not the one that is actually being used (which doesn't get logged at all). I had a look in the code and found that this is indeed the case--the code the writes these lines is located in the openal_init_device function in openal.cpp just before the code that closes the default device.

To ensure that the info for the selected renderer gets written to the log, the lines of code that writes this info should be copied to a point in ds_init after the "alcMakeContextCurrent(ds_sound_context);" line, with the original code in openal_init_device being either removed or changed to indicate that the info is for the default device (e.g., by adding "Default" to the beginning of each line).
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Re: OpenAL info in fs2_open.log incorrect?
I am at a convention this week but can look into this when I get back. Thanks for pointing it out.

Similarly, Yarn, I can reply to your question in my test builds thread when I get back,

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Re: OpenAL info in fs2_open.log incorrect?