Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 589129 times)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)
you could reasonably assume that the netcode wouldn't bottleneck graphical fps too ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
touché
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Luis Dias

Travel time is a ****ty cover for loading screens because it's pretty much fixed but loading is highly unpredictable
I dunno, I think I could reasonably assume any load time for a system would be <= 8 minutes

I'm synchronized with this level of cynicism as well.

Also, how does inter system travel works in SC? They can't possibly use the same drive. Do they have jump nodes or whatever? How much time do they need to load every grap... I mean for their drives to get there?

Offline Mikes

Travel time is a ****ty cover for loading screens because it's pretty much fixed but loading is highly unpredictable
I dunno, I think I could reasonably assume any load time for a system would be <= 8 minutes

I'm synchronized with this level of cynicism as well.

Also, how does inter system travel works in SC? They can't possibly use the same drive. Do they have jump nodes or whatever? How much time do they need to load every grap... I mean for their drives to get there?

Most importantly, is there a point in this equation where taking an actual - or theoretical - Starship at high sublight velocities to Alpha Centaury would beat the first SC Starship to reach Alpha Centaury at FTL speed + time until release?

Offline Aesaar

One of the nice things about Star Citizen at this point is that things have pretty much calcified into their existing properties. Nobody here is magically going to be impressed and decide that, indeed, Star Citizen is good and will impress the world. Similarly nobody on the other side is going to see that and magically go "wow, they didn't show any gameplay" and decide to get a refund. People will see what they want to see, especially given how good Chris is at providing just enough rope for people to hang themselves on their own dreams. What I saw was a lot of really impressive work for a game that nobody actually paid for. I see planets that would look fantastic as flyovers during a cutscene, art assets that would be really great in localized encounters, and plenty of generic (but still nice) content. If CIG had maintained the original concept of instances linked by cutscenes, or if it was for a single player Squadron 42, then I'd be pretty impressed. But since the content they revealed has minimal impact on the expected gameplay, they steadfastly failed to show any kind of multiplayer interaction (or any real gameplay to speak of), and since Star Citizen is supposed to be a MMO and not a single player game there isn't much to be excited about.

What I saw was basically yet another indication of the things that actually matter to Chris Roberts; grandeur, scale, and derivative content. Look at how many times he talked about things that sound impressive like all those NPCs, the size of various buildings, provided a reference to a superior work of fiction like Blade Runner or Star Wars. Look at how little he talked about gameplay loops, or introduced mechanics that players have been waiting years for, or addressed core issues like networking, performance, or the flight model. Look at how a game that was meant to be a space simulation barely even touched space; indeed the only relevant discussion regarding actual space travel was how Chris apparently thinks that waiting eight minutes to travel between planets is somehow good game design. Look at how he thinks that showing hundreds of "procedurally generated" city blocks will somehow enhance the player experience, or how having millions of square kilometers of empty territory will lead to a better experience than what you can already get with Elite.

Star Citizen is not a scam, it's an ego trip. It's hundreds of people working on something, and doing what looks to be some good work doing it, to stoke the narcissism of a failed developer who is more interested in maintaining the appearances of producing a AAA title than actually delivering it. What we saw today was absolutely an indication that they are burning millions and using up a lot of personnel, and they are delivering on things. The problem is that what they're delivering has no bearing on what people are paying for.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Nobody here is magically going to be impressed and decide that, indeed, Star Citizen is good and will impress the world.

Magically impressed, no. But all it would take to impress us would be to actually produce something impressive that looks like it might one day be released.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Luis Dias

Yeah that would require someone fire Crobertsinchief first.

I really got a strong "croberts just watched Blade Runner 2049" vibe from the whole presentation.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I would, quite genuinely, develop some interest in this game (despite its disastrous dev cycle and ridiculous features) if they just showed a single scripted, passably entertaining single player mission.

Offline Mikes

I would, quite genuinely, develop some interest in this game (despite its disastrous dev cycle and ridiculous features) if they just showed a single scripted, passably entertaining single player mission.

That would require a passably entertaining basic combat system first, so don't hold your breath anytime soon - or ever.   :rolleyes:

They've been at it for literally years and have nothing that even comes close to solid core gameplay.

Offline Aesaar

Gameplay isn't important when you're making a movie.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter

I have to admit that i actually like it  :rolleyes:
Even it is too much a submarine movie, of course.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Mikes

If that's the sign of things to come for SC, then ... https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wing_commander/

And yeah there's always some people who like it Novachem and that's not a fault. Except for SC it might be ... if people try so hard to convince themselves they like it for no other reason than having sunk cra*tons of money into it and being unable to admit to themselves that they were fools for doing so.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.

If that's the sign of things to come for SC, then ... https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wing_commander/

And yeah there's always some people who like it Novachem and that's not a fault. Except for SC it might be ... if people try so hard to convince themselves they like it for no other reason than having sunk cra*tons of money into it and being unable to admit to themselves that they were fools for doing so.
Videogame movies always tend to suck, the real sign of things to come was Privateer 2: The Darkening.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Mikes

Videogame movies always tend to suck, the real sign of things to come was Privateer 2: The Darkening.

That one was released at least.

your all so mean, satr ciitzen will be the best space game ever, when it comes out you will eat your words

My words are delicious and seasoned to perfection.

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel

As they say limitations are important, or something like that. We're all still here and Freespace barely had character models.
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I am FREE!

If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns