Author Topic: MCO: video card not recognized  (Read 2863 times)

Offline Imarion

MCO: video card not recognized
Hello,
I just installed MCO and I have an issue: the video card is not recognized
In the video option menu the Videocard field is empty and I can't select one.
I have a GTX 970.

At the start of the game, it tells me the games need "x bytes of video ram but I have 0".

I already searched the forum and found (and tried) the "/gosnojoystick" option.
I tried different compatibility modes etc ...
I have Windows 10 with the lates update and the latest nvidia drivers from 25 april 2017.

I got interest in MCO, but incidentally, I also have problems with Mech Commander gold. Everything worked up to few days ago, and today I wanted to continue the campaign and the scrolling does not work (music, display, other keyboard inputs work but scrolling with keyboard or mous do not any more). Anyway MCG is another matter.

Offline Imarion

Re: MCO: video card not recognized
Hello,
I found a solution: I re-installed a previous version of the Nvidia drivers (went back to 373.06 from october 2016).

Now I can scroll again in the original resolution of MCG and MCO recognizes the video card and works well.

You should be able to continue MCG without downsizing drivers by starting with win98 compatibility and 8bit/256 colors to run without graphic bugs and deactivate vertical synchronisation in nvidia settings in order to reduce lag while scrolling, worked fine here.

BTW: although your mouse settings may cause bugs like that. Be sure you have deactivated all mouse smooth speed settings or things like that. MCG likes a direct input.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 09:57:29 am by RizZen »
It has become appalingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.

Albert Einstein

Offline Imarion

Hello,
thanks for the advice.

I tried many things and going in windows 98 was probably one of them.

Before upgrading the drivers I played with the settings you (I guess ;)), explain in the video on "nogutsnogalaxy" - http://www.nogutsnogalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=4344.0 - and it worked very well.

All my modern games work as well with the older drivers (which are only 5 months old, it is not that much), so I will stick with them. This issue with MCG/MCO is an indication of a bug in the driver so I do not want that anyway.

Nope i didnt do the video there neither im the owner or any kind of admin there im just a user who started to to take this old forum as platform to use it to host game mod hehe - but i think SeanLang made video.

I made this tutorial for Win10:
RizZen´s Windows 10/8/7 Install Tutorial

& a copy on this site:

RizZen´s Windows 10/8/7 Install Tutorial on hardlight
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 01:00:50 pm by RizZen »

Albert Einstein

Offline Imarion

Ok :)

For the record I reported the issue to Nvidia (via the GeoForce experience tool).
I got no confirmation email, so I doubt they received the message and even then, that they will react, but lets hope they will solve this issue in the next driver.

Yeah I bet nvidia will setup a task force to solve problem  ;7

Albert Einstein

Offline Imarion

Ok,
Nvidia released new drivers 2 days ago (382.05) but MCO has the same issue (0 bytes reported video ram), as with the 381.89.
Yet, another game, Expedition Conquistador is working well with this driver.

Knowing that with 373.06, Mech Commander was running well, I tried an intermediary one: 375.95, and with this one both games work correctly.

My list:
373.06-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql: MCO OK, Expedition Conquistador NG
375.95-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql: MCO OK, Expedition Conquistador OK
381.89-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql: MCO NG, Expedition Conquistador NG
382.05-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql: MCO NG, Expedition Conquistador OK