Author Topic: Ingame UI for commandline settings discussion  (Read 22718 times)

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Re: Ingame UI for commandline settings discussion
And yet this whole thread started because we have too many command-line options and an in-game options menu is one way to cut back on them.

At one point I thought the discussion was going toward using a menu to supplement the command-line options, not supplant them.  From my player-only (non-coder) perspective, this could be very helpful for people like me, who have been using FSO for years but don't have the slightest clue about what flags are available and what they do.  It would probably be even more helpful for new players who have found their way here from Steam or GOG.  Don't put things on it that are dependent on engine startup, or that potentially break things or tend to generate a lot of support requests.  Just my two cents.   :D
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yeah, I mentioned in a previous comment that we would need to vet every option for whether it currently can be modified after game load without breaking things.  And certain options don't really make sense to be configurable in game either I think, so we'll probably always have some command line options around.  And I think we should maintain, if possible, command line options for pretty much anything.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline m!m

All these options would be saved to some stable location anyway so some options could only become effective after restarting the game. I don't like the idea of keeping commandline options that users need to change. We always will need the -mod option but that will be set by the launcher. Everything else should be as configurable as possible with the exception of a few troubleshooting flags that are only needed in exceptional cases.

Since you'll need to store the options in a file anyway you could always replace the relevant command line flag with some sort of in-launcher editor for that file. This would also help with getting rid of FSO's godawful system of reading command-line flags straight from a file as a way of keeping persistent options.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
I've been kind of holding my tongue on this because I don't like raining down anybody's parade but I'd be lying if I said that I wouldn't have any objections to having a full blown HTML/CSS/Javascript stack running in the engine.

HTML and CSS is probably now the golden standard for laying out UIs these days but do we honestly need all the features that HTML offers? Or CSS? How do we handle <a hrefs>? Or tables? Or weird tags that aren't pertinent to our engine like <h1> or <title>. Nor am I comfortable introducing yet another scripting language and introducing a whole slew of new bindings that interface with the engine that we have to maintain. Keeping the Lua interface up to date and bug free is a headache in of itself.

I feel if we are going to go in the direction of HTML and CSS, we should at least use an existing library that's been tailored for game UIs specifically that provides a subset of the HTML and CSS specification that we actually need. FSO doesn't need a full blown HTML5-compliant web renderer attached to it. Why don't we use something like libRocket and use our existing Lua system to interact with the markup? http://librocket.com/.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I feel if we are going to go in the direction of HTML and CSS, we should at least use an existing library that's been tailored for game UIs specifically that provides a subset of the HTML and CSS specification that we actually need. FSO doesn't need a full blown HTML5-compliant web renderer attached to it. Why don't we use something like libRocket and use our existing Lua system to interact with the markup? http://librocket.com/.

That's ... a really good question. I guess the answer might be "Because none of us heard of libRocket before" :P

I do like what I am seeing there, though. Especially the whole MIT License thing.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline m!m

I've been kind of holding my tongue on this because I don't like raining down anybody's parade but I'd be lying if I said that I wouldn't have any objections to having a full blown HTML/CSS/Javascript stack running in the engine.

HTML and CSS is probably now the golden standard for laying out UIs these days but do we honestly need all the features that HTML offers? Or CSS? How do we handle <a hrefs>? Or tables? Or weird tags that aren't pertinent to our engine like <h1> or <title>. Nor am I comfortable introducing yet another scripting language and introducing a whole slew of new bindings that interface with the engine that we have to maintain. Keeping the Lua interface up to date and bug free is a headache in of itself.
All rendering would be done according to the W3C standards as chromium handles that.
JavaScript will also not be running "inside" the engine as chromium uses a different process for rendering and executing JavaScript. Currently the JavaScript API will actually be exposed by Lua to keep the engine interface and to allow modders to implement their own API functions.

libRocket hasn't been updated in 4 years while chromium/CEF is actively developed. I don't want to introduce yet another library that the SCP will have to maintain.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
libRocket hasn't been updated in 4 years while chromium/CEF is actively developed. I don't want to introduce yet another library that the SCP will have to maintain.

Actually, libRocket's git repo shows activity as recently as April 26th, 2015.

Offline m!m

Oh, I missed the link at the end of the page...
The API seems to be quite nice, did anyone actually work with that library and can tell us what HTML features it supports?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
If you knew how FS2's menu system works, you'd know how hilariously infeasible this is.

Look, jr2, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but please try to remember that if a solution seems really simple and we haven't used or discussed it, chances are that it's not as simple as you might think it is.

Heh, maybe I like the HTML menu option because I can probably poke through that and semi-understand / modify HTML at this point, like I can sort of understand / modify table files.  And I'm sure there's others in my boat (that can at least Google / play with HTML until they get the result they want).

But whatever you guys end up going with will be great.  :yes:

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

Thank you.  I had raised similar concerns in the past but they were not well received, probably because I didn't have any alternatives to suggest.  But libRocket is worth deeper investigation. :yes:

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep

HTML and CSS is probably now the golden standard for laying out UIs these days but do we honestly need all the features that HTML offers? Or CSS? How do we handle <a hrefs>? Or tables? Or weird tags that aren't pertinent to our engine like <h1> or <title>.
I've been trying to say pretty much the same thing, but what I keep getting back seems to be along the lines of "unless you have something made of distilled awesome to suggest, we are just going to default to a full browser stack because it's comfortable and familiar rather than actually exploring other (potentially better) options"

(the examples I have been giving of the different types of things out there seem to keep getting taken as suggestions for what we should be using, when the main point I have been trying to make is a full browser stack is wholly unnecessary and FFS do some research and actually check to see what is the best solution rather than just settling, so here's a couple of ideas for where you might start looking)

A full browser stack isn't needed, because most of the functions provided by HTML aren't needed or useful for our purposes.
I can agree to a pared down library that uses HTML syntax but is pared down to only what is actually useful for our purposes.  I can't do any programming of the FSO engine, but I will at least look at that in some detail when I get the chance.

I obviously have no qualms raining on someone's parade if I think it might make things work better.
I'm kind of a dick like that.

Gmail.
Not exactly what I was looking for, thought you meant fully featured desktop programs.  I've seen tons of web apps for various different things, but they tend to be fairly lightweight applications whose primary purpose is interaction with web resources.

This is an antiquated notion of what a web browser, html, css and javascript are for. All of these things have made massive strides towards making it possible to build applications on them in recent years.
See above for examples of stuff that is useless for our purposes.  I know the W3C has expanded HTML CSS and javascript since their aim is to replace platform specific apps with web apps and depreciate browser pugins, so you can, for instance, open a browser rather than the app store to interact with things, and watch videos without flash.

Good goals, but, again, the language set contains WAY more than we would ever need to use, so you shouldn't be trying to use ALL of it.
Also note, FSO is not a web app, it's a rather intensive desktop application, and the suggestion is to use HTML rendering as a subsystem inside it rather than being the framework the program is actually built with.

There is no reason to invoke the HTML renderer unless it is specifically requested to run by a mod. Also, there are no real limitations on memory use; right now, the most complex FSO missions rarely use more than 2 GB of memory. We have some headroom to play with in that regard, I believe.
fair enough, just felt I had to bring it up since the early discussion was retail compatibility, and one reason to run retail is lack of computing power.

We may be over-thinking the entire thing, though.  The thing most familiar to FSO modders is going to be tables, and another possibility would be to distribute interface artwork in a similar manner to the assets already used, but replace the actions hardcoded into the engine with a table that says what space each button takes up, and what it does.
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline m!m

Thank you.  I had raised similar concerns in the past but they were not well received, probably because I didn't have any alternatives to suggest.  But libRocket is worth deeper investigation. :yes:
On thing to consider with libRocket is that all animation or user input handling would need to be done through Lua (as hardcoding such things is not an option) whereas most people familiar with HTML have at least a fundamental understanding of JavaScript which would be used to control the UI.

A full browser stack isn't needed, because most of the functions provided by HTML aren't needed or useful for our purposes.
I can agree to a pared down library that uses HTML syntax but is pared down to only what is actually useful for our purposes.  I can't do any programming of the FSO engine, but I will at least look at that in some detail when I get the chance.
As said before chromium has already been integrated into the engine, if someone would implement libRocket support we could evaluate the pros and cons of both solutions.
The only reason I see not to use chromium are potential issues with memory and computing power but every machine capable of running he MVPs will also be able to handle two more browser processes...

Gmail.
Not exactly what I was looking for, thought you meant fully featured desktop programs.  I've seen tons of web apps for various different things, but they tend to be fairly lightweight applications whose primary purpose is interaction with web resources.
Atom

We may be over-thinking the entire thing, though.  The thing most familiar to FSO modders is going to be tables, and another possibility would be to distribute interface artwork in a similar manner to the assets already used, but replace the actions hardcoded into the engine with a table that says what space each button takes up, and what it does.
That would require an insane amount of work as the system would need to be as flexible as possible so why should we invest that much effort if HTML is a much better solution?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
That would require an insane amount of work as the system would need to be as flexible as possible so why should we invest that much effort if HTML is a much better solution?

I completely agree. Sticking with syntax that modders are familiar with through exposure to the engine is good. But not when it requires reinventing the wheel; after all, in terms of expressiveness, such a table would be nothing but a subset of the functionality HTML gives us.

Offline BirdofPrey

On thing to consider with libRocket is that all animation or user input handling would need to be done through Lua (as hardcoding such things is not an option) whereas most people familiar with HTML have at least a fundamental understanding of JavaScript which would be used to control the UI.
  Well it does mention it can work with other languages, though haven't checked to see how difficult it would be.
That said, I wouldn't say knowing Lua is asking that much.  It seems to be fairly common in many modding circles.

My initial impression is that the majority of modifications modders would make to the UI would be graphical in nature anyways rather than actually reprogramming the interface  since most of the time it would be changing the look and feel of the interface rather than it's actual functionality.  Hopefully they shouldn't have to do much script programming, just invoke the right commands.  For modularity reasons, I'd also think most of the scripting would not be contained within the HTML code (my .js is a bit rusty, though, so maybe I'm mistaken)

On a side note, would a UI overhaul cover mainhalls as well?

I also saw a comment in the chromium thread about using it to drive .svg rendering, though I'm not sure that'd be preferable to just rendering the graphics in the game engine rather than calling a separate layout engine.  Not sure if librocket would be useful for rendering the HUD (Needs more research).

I completely agree. Sticking with syntax that modders are familiar with through exposure to the engine is good. But not when it requires reinventing the wheel; after all, in terms of expressiveness, such a table would be nothing but a subset of the functionality HTML gives us.
Ah, Ok then.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

Offline m!m

Well it does mention it can work with other languages, though haven't checked to see how difficult it would be.
That said, I wouldn't say knowing Lua is asking that much.  It seems to be fairly common in many modding circles.

My initial impression is that the majority of modifications modders would make to the UI would be graphical in nature anyways rather than actually reprogramming the interface  since most of the time it would be changing the look and feel of the interface rather than it's actual functionality.  Hopefully they shouldn't have to do much script programming, just invoke the right commands. 
Lua isn't as common here. Most modders don't know Lua and without prior programming knowledge it's a bit hard to learn. JavaScript is in a similar situation but there are a lot of solutions out there which require much less programming knowledge than anything we could create with Lua.

For modularity reasons, I'd also think most of the scripting would not be contained within the HTML code (my .js is a bit rusty, though, so maybe I'm mistaken)
Where the scripts are stored depends on the modder as HTML is capable of including scripts in the source code or just reference them. For libRocket the Lua source would always be separate.

On a side note, would a UI overhaul cover mainhalls as well?
Yes.

Offline BirdofPrey

I was under the impression Lua was supposed to be easy to learn (never learned it myself, mind you).  It's derived from C isn't it?
Still, how much knowledge would a modder need to just call a function that's already been written for the interface, and what sort of cases exist for a modder having to add additonal functions?

Regardless, as much of the script should as possible, should probably be kept out of the HTML file so modders can rewrite that without having to touch the majority of the scripting.

if someone would implement libRocket support we could evaluate the pros and cons of both solutions.
Dear god, NO!
Evaluate as many of the pros and cons as possible BEFORE actually doing the work, so you don't waste time.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
if someone would implement libRocket support we could evaluate the pros and cons of both solutions.
Dear god, NO!
Evaluate as many of the pros and cons as possible BEFORE actually doing the work, so you don't waste time.
The path of minimal time-wasting is to just use Chromium, seeing as how it's already been successfully integrated with the engine.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken