Author Topic: Debug error due to heap corruption  (Read 4532 times)

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Re: Debug error due to heap corruption
Just before. Even before it was created.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline m!m

That statement makes no sense. I need a log from an FSO run when the heap corruption occurred. A log from a run when it does not occur is useless.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    • Twitter
Woutersmits have said many times that his log doesn't seem to be created by a FSO run when the heap corruption occurred.

EDIT: Update: Woutersmits has said on Skype: "You litient m!m not ... He keeps spamming..."

EDIT #2: What should I do with him? Discipline him? Or I check with my VS2017 to reproduce this problem?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 08:41:36 am by Bryan See »

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Are you looking in the new location for the fs open log? The SCP moved it. It's in your user file, under \AppData\Roaming\HardLightProductions\FreeSpaceOpen\data.

Check there and you should have a log that is generated during the crash.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
This should not concern me. It should concern Woutersmits. But it helps.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

It would surely be easier if woutersmits would post his own bug reports.

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
It would surely be easier if woutersmits would post his own bug reports.
You are right.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

here's fs2open.log from the userthing

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

explain this bryan see

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
See this for further info.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I very nearly didn't post this because I'm becoming more and more convinced that you're trolling everyone Bryan See. If you are, bravo for sticking with it this long. But on the off chance you're not, I'm going to be as straightforward as I can here.

I'm not a coder, and I have very little idea how FSOpen works at that level. But I have been screwing around with this engine for the better part of two decades, and based on that, I can all but guarantee that you are barking up the wrong tree expecting the coders to fix this for you. You may think you are helping by posting five year old threads from another forum about fixing a vaguely similar problem in a totally different application, but you're not. At best, you're wasting your time, at worst you're antagonising the people who you claim you want to help you by suggesting what I'm sure are, to them, relatively obvious fixes for a problem that doesn't actually exist.

The problem appears when Woutersmits tries to play your mod as a standalone, and nowhere else. That means there are two possible causes: Either you have a corrupted or missing asset that is causing the issue, or Woutersmits has improperly loaded your mod. One of those is the cause. If  it works for you, then it's the second one. Simple as that.

Nobody else can fix this for you. You have to put in the work here if you want this solved. Talk to Woutersmits. Make sure that all the basics are done right. That you have the same versions, that he installed everything to the correct folders. Make sure that you didn't miss any files when you uploaded, and that he didn't miss any when he downloaded. Make sure he hasn't changed anything recently that might be causing the issue, like drivers or whatever. See if you can reproduce the issue on your end. If you can, great, you're narrowing it down. Then go through all your assets systematically. Revert to earlier versions until you find one that works. Go back to being FS2 dependent, see if that helps. Eventually, you will find the problem, but nobody will solve it for you if you can't find the source.

You have this huge, insanely ambitious project planned, and a frankly ridiculous concept that dozens of people are going to flock to help you realise it. That's not going to happen. If you want to put anything out, sometimes you have to be willing to put in the boring, time consuming work yourself. This is one such instance.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
I very nearly didn't post this because I'm becoming more and more convinced that you're trolling everyone Bryan See. If you are, bravo for sticking with it this long. But on the off chance you're not, I'm going to be as straightforward as I can here.

I'm not a coder, and I have very little idea how FSOpen works at that level. But I have been screwing around with this engine for the better part of two decades, and based on that, I can all but guarantee that you are barking up the wrong tree expecting the coders to fix this for you. You may think you are helping by posting five year old threads from another forum about fixing a vaguely similar problem in a totally different application, but you're not. At best, you're wasting your time, at worst you're antagonising the people who you claim you want to help you by suggesting what I'm sure are, to them, relatively obvious fixes for a problem that doesn't actually exist.

The problem appears when Woutersmits tries to play your mod as a standalone, and nowhere else. That means there are two possible causes: Either you have a corrupted or missing asset that is causing the issue, or Woutersmits has improperly loaded your mod. One of those is the cause. If  it works for you, then it's the second one. Simple as that.

Nobody else can fix this for you. You have to put in the work here if you want this solved. Talk to Woutersmits. Make sure that all the basics are done right. That you have the same versions, that he installed everything to the correct folders. Make sure that you didn't miss any files when you uploaded, and that he didn't miss any when he downloaded. Make sure he hasn't changed anything recently that might be causing the issue, like drivers or whatever. See if you can reproduce the issue on your end. If you can, great, you're narrowing it down. Then go through all your assets systematically. Revert to earlier versions until you find one that works. Go back to being FS2 dependent, see if that helps. Eventually, you will find the problem, but nobody will solve it for you if you can't find the source.

You have this huge, insanely ambitious project planned, and a frankly ridiculous concept that dozens of people are going to flock to help you realise it. That's not going to happen. If you want to put anything out, sometimes you have to be willing to put in the boring, time consuming work yourself. This is one such instance.
OK noted. We're not trolling. We're seeking help, but I have to admit nobody can help us. I'll look into these assets and try to go FS2 dependent and see if that helps. But Shattered Stars is a TC mod.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Not if it causes the engine to crash it isn't. Until you solve that, it's nothing at all.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Oh I see. That should be the number one priority for me, at least. FS2-independent TC conversions require that, I believe.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template