Author Topic: WARGAME: RED DRAGON  (Read 31451 times)

Offline Aesaar

Aesaar's list of units that you should always take if able.  Not just good units, units that I think should always have a place in your deck if they're available.

REDFOR

Ka-50 AKULA - 150 point USSR prototype attack helicopter.  Longest range ATGM in the game (2975m), and carries 12 of them.  Also carries 4 Iglas, which are very respectable AA missiles.  The gun is defensive only.  If it's firing, you're doing something wrong.  Biggest downside is that you only get 2.

Ka-52 - 150 point USSR prototype recon helicopter.  Only helo in the game to carry antiradar missiles.  These outrange most anti-helo AA.  Also carries 4 Iglas.  The two Kamovs are the only USSR helicopters to have AA missiles.

BMPT - 70 point USSR prototype tanky thing.  Do you have a problem with infantry?  Send a pair of these.  It has the kind of armor you'd expect from a 130 point tank.  It has a 30mm autocannon, a 100mm 2430m range HE cannon, and a 30mm grenade launcher.  It will slaughter even entrenched infantry squads in seconds.

Su-27PU - 190 point USSR air superiority fighter.  It's what you'd expect from a high-end air superiority fighter.  What sets it apart from its competition is that it carries 6 medium range (6300m) AMRAAM equivalents rather than 4.

2k22 Tunguska-M - 90 point USSR AA vehicle.  This is still probably the best AA unit in the game overall.  Radar-guided guns, long-range non-radar missiles.  Extremely dependable.

Mi-26 - 120 point USSR cargo helicopter.  It's huge.  Seriously, it's the size of a C-130.  6000L of supplies.  2 of these is almost as good as a FOB.  Keep everything supplied forever.  Holy crap vulnerable to AA, so don't use it for front-line resupply.  Take some trucks and use this as a mobile FOB.

BLUFOR

ADATS - Canadian prototype anti-everything-except-infantry vehicle.  The ADATS missile is one of two missiles in the game to be able to target air and ground units.  With an AP power of 25, it'll shred tanks from 2800m away, and it's got excellent range against helicopters as well (3125m).  Not radar-guided, so nothing to fear from SEAD.

Stormer HVM - British prototype missile tub.  The Stormer carries the game's other dual-purpose missile, the Starstreak.  Slightly shorter range than the ADATS, and nowhere near the AP power (12), the Stormer makes up for it with accuracy and a ridiculous rate of fire, both of which make it a helicopter shredder.  Carries twice the ADATS' ammo load.  Also not radar-guided.

Fallschirmjager '90 - West German elite infantry.  These guys got toned down a little from what they used to be, but they're still one of the best elite infantry you can get.  They're NATO's equivalent to Spetsnaz.  They don't have the napalm launcher, but their rifle is much, much better, and they have AT rockets.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 01:30:16 pm by Aesaar »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Currently the only infantry worth taking are reservists and elite/shock, the line infantry are all utter ****. Subject to patch though.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
If the BMPT works the same as in WALB then it actually cleans up against cheap tanks.  I had one sitting in a tree line once and it shredded a slew of Centurions.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Infantry's pretty weird right now. SMGs and antique bolt actions are the sweet spots in terms of DPS vs other infantry. Assault rifles are ****ty across the board. Very strange.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Well the campaign is kinda fun... I guess...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Wargame: The Phantom Pain

Offline crizza

So it already has singleplayercampain?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah, I've played the Korea campaign and found it oddly charming.

Offline crizza

Ah, great :)
Think I'll buy it tonight.
Wanna try the Slawa-Class^^

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Are you sure it's in the game?

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Even if it were in the game (it's not), naval combat is pretty underwhelming as is. The naval landing near Incheon in Korea II would've been really cool if the AI hadn't decided to spawn all of their units in plain sight on the coast next to my starting sector. But they did, and upon the start of the game they were instantly decimated by two Oliver Hazard Perry class frigates, gunboats, and several Cobras.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah, frankly naval's pretty boring. It's neat to have the option, but I'm only really interested in ships to the extent that they interact with the land fight.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I'd probably love the campaign much more if it would stop glitching out so that logistics units don't respond to orders or capture territory, and everybody could actually shoot.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Also, while the Phantom Pain is pretty nice...get off the F-86's lawn, you young whippersnappers.

"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
F-86s are definitely more fun than phantoms. They're so absurdly cheap and resupply so fast that you can pretty much constantly have three or four flying around. Air force is pretty strange in Korea II; You get four times as many planes than you'd expect in a normal deck and the KPA doesn't have any significant AA near the Pusan perimeter.

Offline crizza

Even if it were in the game (it's not), naval combat is pretty underwhelming as is. The naval landing near Incheon in Korea II would've been really cool if the AI hadn't decided to spawn all of their units in plain sight on the coast next to my starting sector. But they did, and upon the start of the game they were instantly decimated by two Oliver Hazard Perry class frigates, gunboats, and several Cobras.
Wait.
I just looked at the Steam reveal trailer and the pictures...there is a ship with a dual gun and big missile lauchers on each side of the ship struture with Helipads behind that.
From the look of it I thouht it was the Slawa...my bad then.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
yeah that was probably a Sovremenny. Unrelated, I kinda wish you could resupply helicopters on ships that have helipads. I'm also kind of surprised they have Udaloy II but no Arleigh Burke.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
yeah that was probably a Sovremenny. Unrelated, I kinda wish you could resupply helicopters on ships that have helipads. I'm also kind of surprised they have Udaloy II but no Arleigh Burke.

You could, its just what would you do with all the sonobouys?  :P
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Act of War High Treason had really fun as hell naval combat, I wish WALB's was as good.