Author Topic: HUD Question  (Read 3280 times)

Quick question.

Most of the screenshots I've seen of the HUD show a top-down ship icon (like http://i5.minus.com/iFDIGbz6r9jxt.jpg) where the missile hard points are, but my installation just shows the missile hard points themselves without any ship overlay.

I have version 1.1.1; is this correct behavior, something I'm missing, or something I can toggle?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I *think* that's a bug in the code for that particular HUD gauge, introduced somewhere between 1.0.4 and 1.1.1. 
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Does it have anything to do with this Mantis issue (seems unlikely since I think r11087 was after the 1.1.1 patch)?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I don't think so since the issue still occurs on the latest trunk (afaik).
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
I don't think so since the issue still occurs on the latest trunk (afaik).
Which wouldn't be surprising, since Diaspora's hud_gauges.tbl probably hasn't been changed to account for it.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

I was curious if anyone knows of a fix for losing the ship overlay.  I know it's a minor detail, but its a VERY cool detail.  I was using 1.04 with the 3.6.9 exe and it's present there.  When I went to 1.1 or 1.1.1 with the 3.7.1 exe it's gone. 

I'm playing in 5760x1200 so having the interface centered in 4:3 format in the new exe ROCKS.  Thanks to whomever did this. :)  I just really miss my viper/raptor overlays.

Is there another exe file even a beta one that has this corrected?  In my own experimentation if I drop in the older exe I get the overlays back but lose the centered interface.  It's certainly been introduced in the new exe build.

Thanks!

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Is there another exe file even a beta one that has this corrected?
Here you go.

I *think* that's a bug in the code for that particular HUD gauge
This turned out to be correct; r9453 broke it, just like with ship selection wireframes (fixed in r10797). I've committed this fix to trunk; you can either wait for the next Nightly build or use the build I linked above (just a plain build of trunk after committing the fix; r11247).

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

That is awesome thank you!  It's nice to have the feature back and be able to read everything in the main interface :)

I'll check out the next nightly build too.

Thanks again.

Any chance this can be reuploaded? Or has it been fixed another way by now? (Extra credit: any way to fix on the Mac version?)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This fix is in the 3.7.2 final build, which you can get here: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=89597.0

There are also cutting-edge builds available here: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?board=173.0
These are considerably more up-to-date than the 3.7.2 release.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns