Author Topic: Eagerly anticipating BtA!  (Read 6878 times)

Offline Vrets

Eagerly anticipating BtA!
BtA is my most anticipated project on HLP. I want to see what happens after the era covered by ST:R. I hope and expect to see the GTA plausibly disintegrate into colorful, bickering Terran blocs with all the fun political intrigue that this entails. The fragmentation of the Terrans gives a ton of space to tell interesting stories; the Fs1-Fs2 interwar era has so much untapped possibility, with a multitude of independent Terran governments interacting with each other and with the Vasudans.

Please release soon so I can give you pages of dry, hate-filled debug spews because I left sgwp2.vp in my root directory.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Oh, don't worry; you'll get just what you want out of our first release. ;)
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Eagerly anticipating BtA!
Yeah this looks dope.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'm glad you're looking forward to it. The biggest hurdle for us right now is finishing the last 4 missions which are in varrying stages of development. (Some just started, some nearly complete.) After that it's just cleaning up the details and making sure everything's ready to go!
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
For whatever it's worth to the 3 people who check this board.. I'm finishing the last mission. Then we'll proceed into testing while I finish some of the cosmetics (anims and the like).

We have rescheduled the release from 'Soon (tm)' to 'Sooner (tm)'.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

As one of the people who keep an eye on this board: that's great news! :)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Awesome!

Yes! :D

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
Yeah. ill be getting some free time soon, so ill be helping :) (I do not even want to think about all that configuration i have to do to restore my own works)
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
woohoo!
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Whoop! :yes:

And I'm definitely counting more than 3 fans here...   :p
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Add 5000 to the fan tally. :yes:

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Great news, I'll definitely make time to play it when it comes out.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Bumping this in anticipation for tomorrow. I dunno about everyone else but for me THE HYPE IS REEAAALLLL. Also the first project on HLP that actually has my voice in it, however small a role I may have played, so, yeah, HYYYYYYPE!

Offline Vrets

Arrggghhhhhh.

After seven yeeeears I am back, and this is actually released.  Playing it now.

My CO says that there is to be no further talk of phantom snails

Offline Vrets

Inevitable played-everything-now-review-it post

Rating is 10/10 EMPs, roughly equivalent to 5/5 on the Admiral Po scale of clever-torpedo-related-plans, or 10/10 novel HUD gauges. The music, the gameplay, the characters, The Clever Plans - it all works together to produce a compelling experience. Thanks for making it. Make another one.  :nervous:

Have shared story thoughts, nitpicks, and occasionally successful jokes on Discord #bta.

Rando spoiler-less playthrough stats and oversharing:
  • Difficulty level: Medium
  • Most failed: How The West Was Lost, Going Out With A Bang
  • Top 3 favorite missions: How The West Was Lost, Going Out With A Bang, Bringing Down The Gavel
  • Runner up: Shell Game, for capturing the essential essence of BtA in one mission
  • Promotions earned across all four campaigns: 0 :_(
  • Confirmed UFO Sightings: 1 (nearly 2, but lost-via-death-and-replay-and-forgetfulness)

Slightly spoiler-ish playthrough stats and oversharing:
Spoiler:
  • Favorite minigame: Torpedo decoy + lure in Going Out With A Bang
  • Runner-up: physics puzzle in How The West Was Lost. It wasn't too exciting but was novel to use the flail for something like this, and arguably constitutes the first real physics puzzle in FS to my knowledge (short of moving sentry guns away, which I'm told has been done a couple time before).
  • Least favorite minigame: rebooting my fighter by CLI. Gorramit
  • Most Neutral-ish minigame: placing static defenses in Camp Angel. Cool idea, controls seemed frustrating, maybe like it more next time through
  • Most disliked mission: rescuing Khonsu II...this mission served a story purpose but could guess the outcome immediately, and being bounced around by all those transport turrets was quite wretched
« Last Edit: May 13, 2023, 12:58:23 pm by Vrets »