Author Topic: BtA: Slaves of Chaos Discussion Thread  (Read 46385 times)

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
BtA: Slaves of Chaos Discussion Thread
Now all you modders can start early picking through the mod for things to steal borrow! Then on October 26, you'll have no distractions from playing the campaign, right? :p

Great! I'll search furiously though the modpack for hidden secrets :p
[GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
[Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
My models page:
http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim

Re: BtA: Slaves of Chaos Discussion Thread
The updated Mefistofele campaign was a beaut to run through again; even better than I remember and left me with a serious whaaaa.....? at the end. Looking forward to seeing what you have in store for the main campaign release on October 26th.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 01:05:57 pm by starwolf1991 »
Previous Projects: Ancient-Shivan War | GTF Durandal

Current Projects: Exile: Into The Dark Waters (Proof-editing/misc)

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I'll set it to download tomorrow when back home :D
el hombre vicio...

Offline Makhpella

• Kharak is burning!
Fairly certain there's an extra A in the Mustang Alpha description.

I love the main menu theme, which is the only thing I heard. Will play the demo soon.
'I'm from the marksman school of conversation.' -Kovacs

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Wow. I think I can use that releasing model (e.g. releasing a modpack then campaigns, and others) for my Shattered Stars mod, and future FSOpen mod projects on HLP.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Wooooooooooooooooolloooooloooooooooo

Congratulations on release!

Should this thread be used as a feedback thread or should we have a specific thread for it? I'm already excited at the new features I've seen that BtA has included.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline starlord

Great work mjn.mixael.

Now someone please make a video playthrough of this.😄

Now someone please make a video playthrough of this.😄

Seconded. Calling FrikgFeek or QuantumDelta, please work your magic!

Offline Luis Dias

WOOOOOOOOO

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Thank you!!

You've saved me from trying again to play a stellaris game that's now broken past hope.
I'll give it a spin tonight!
el hombre vicio...

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Will join everyone else in saying thanks for you and your team's work. Only part-way through and already blown away by not only the gameplay but the quality of the little touches like the briefings and the background canon info (naturally I B-lined to the map room the moment I noticed it in the main hall); it's not only brilliant it's the sort of standard (if not above) you'd expect from professional work. I vote you can all be proud of what you've made here :).

I especially like how...
Spoiler:
it has a good mix of traditional FS missions and mechanic-based missions that it switches between. It brings interesting (and well implemented/thought out) mechanics without becoming 'every mission is a mini-game'. Feel you've balanced the two kinds of mission quite well.

Spoiler:
And confession; I was chuckling darkly when I read the CB for 'Bringing Down the Gavel', then grinning like a kid throughout... does that make me a bad person? :lol:
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Spoiler:
And confession; I was chuckling darkly when I read the CB for 'Bringing Down the Gavel', then grinning like a kid throughout... does that make me a bad person? :lol:

Wait till the next mission... :)
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Congratulations to the release! - (I will have to stay from playing it because I am trying to finish a release myself)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
So this is what mind orgasm is like !!!! Immediately on my download list
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Congratulations on the release!  :pimp:

Will try this out when I can!

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
Thanks for all the hard work over the years
downloading now!
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Calling FrikgFeek or QuantumDelta, please work your magic!

I was considering it. I already finished the campaign, might record a playthrough once it's compatible with 3.7.5. HDR is very pretty so I'd prefer recording with it. Though I might get away by using a pre-SDL nightly(mid July) that still has HDR but some of those are pretty buggy.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Lorric

That's quite something. Years of work to create, a day, if that, to play.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I’m up to the first (only?) Loki stealth mission, I think about a third of the way through the campaign, give or take. I’ll do a full review when I complete the campaign, but for now, spoiler free initial impressions:

The most impressive thing that I’ve noticed so far is the level of detail in the release – it is remarkable. By far the most impressive, immersive Freespace campaign I have ever played, including things like BP and ST:R. In my mind, this comes from two things. First, the absolute attention to creating a universe for the player to inhabit in mission – the mods chosen, the mission designs, the priorities given to the player, even the visual palette changes – these all feel like a campaign focusses on a world we hadn’t previously seen in FS1 or 2 – the civilian world where most people would be living their lives. It still feels like Freespace, but it puts serious meat on the bones of the universe established in the first two games.

This is also helped in a big way by the newsroom and system viewer. Antares feels big and complicated and real – almost a character in its own right, in a way that, location wise, FS2 only ever managed with the nebula.

The voice acting is generally pretty great (if there are a few jarring mispronunciations here and there, but that’s unavoidable), and the missions are tightly FREDded (I’ve had one where it stalled on me – obviously a ship got destroyed unexpectedly or something, but it went fine on my second run through) and diverse enough to keep me interested, both in terms of challenge level and what you’re doing in the mission.

The story so far has been good – I’m enjoying the evolving smuggling/corruption storyline and the Hammer storyline and wondering if/how they’re going to come together. But I felt elements were a tad... rushed isn’t the right word, maybe undersold? I’m thinking mainly about the detour out of Antares; I got the impression that we were being ordered out of Antares permanently, but then we were back within a mission, apparently against order. It didn’t quite feel like the motivations (or the repercussions) for this were explained much at all. Perhaps later in the campaign?

If I were picking things to gripe about, I’d say that I’m not really loving the battlesnails. I get that they’re supposed to be a fun achievement type thing, but I feel like they’d be better suited to a feature you only get when you’ve beaten the campaign and are playing through again, but I recognise that that’s a personal stylistic choice each campaign creator will make differently.

The one thing that I do have a bit more of an issue with (and don’t get me wrong, I’m still loving the campaign) is the tech room. I really enjoy scrolling through the tech room as a way to get a feel for the worldbuilding, but that doesn’t quite work in BtA. Several of the ships have blank (or near blank, “Blah Blah”) tech descriptions, or descriptions that are obviously anachronistic (the one that jumped out to me was the Endymion, which still has the description I originally wrote for it, which is only appropriate for the very early TV War). Slaves of Chaos and the demo both did such a fantastic job of worldbuilding in other ways, to have it be neglected here was a little disappointing. And, utterly, utterly minor though it is, I also kind of wish the ships were in a logical order, as opposed to new ones being tacked on the end.

To be 100% clear though, the issues I’ve come across have been extremely small, and haven’t prevented me from enjoying what is an extremely polished, high quality Freespace experience. Based on what I’ve seen so far, BtA has earned its place in the rarefied company of the very best examples of what the FS engine and the people behind it can do, along with ST:R, VD, BP and the like. Congrats to Mjn and the rest of the team - I’m really looking forward to the rest of the campaign.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp