Author Topic: Update 18/2 Frigate Class Daedalus  (Read 2851 times)

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Update 18/2 Frigate Class Daedalus
Just thought i would show of, what i am working on when not working on my Everest Battleship. The Daedalus class  assault frigate. Thanks for the name suggestion Betrayal :).

Pretty much finished the modelling and have been uv'ing the sucker as i model it, save me trying to do the whole thing when i have finished modelling.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 04:31:48 pm by starbug »
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Re: Frigate Class Daedalus
Lovelyyyy :yes: <3

Is she supposed to have fighterbay?
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Nah, i will probably do a variant of the hull that has one :)

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

:eek: Thats a really, really nice ship you've got there.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
The ship looks nice, but I really think you should use new Steve-O's turrets instead of BP ones. The BP ones just don't fit with the rest of your textures and have much less detail to boot. The only thing that doesn't have a direct replacement among the Vexor's turrets are the forward guns and the long-barreled one, but the former have the perfect match in new Hyperion's forward plasma cannons and the latter could be replaced with a regular two-barrel mass driver, also from the new Hyperion.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
...and Steve-O new turrets uses one unified texture. Less textures = better performance.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Are his new turrets on the vexor release?

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Yup.

And some good, matching ones you can take from Hyperion [aka Karuna Mk.2] from BP modpack.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 05:56:52 am by Betrayal »

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Yes, everything is on the Vexor except for green plasma cannon and two-barrel mass drivers, which are only on Hyperion (Karuna Mk2). Those from Hyperion don't actually use the same map as the Vexor ones, so keep that in mind.

Daedalus looks like it could be rigged with just the Vexor turrets, aside from the 4 forward guns, where the green plasmas would be perfect.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Do you happen to have a link to the latest version of the Vexor, the only ones i can find on the wiki is one released in 2012 and the other i think is the same but with lighting issues fixed. I know a more recent version of the ship was released but i can't find it on the forums, when i search i keep getting the 2012 version.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=81513.msg1706377#msg1706377
This is probably the one. If it has an off bit of lighting on the top bay doors, it's the latest version (this particular bug was never fixed). The big plasma turrets on that version are the same as forward guns on Everest.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Small update on this one, i have begun texturing this baby, i have to say i am really pleased on how the textures have turned out so far. As for turrets i am happy with the ones i have used. I have remapped them and they all use the same texture now :)

Re: Update 18/2 Frigate Class Daedalus
good job Cant wait to see this in game :)

All the best,
Jadehawk
Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Try to make your lines more bumpy. There is a cool filter in Gimp called "bump mapping" or something like this in Gimp. PS have some equivalent of this.

Uber cool work :yes:. I can't wait to see this ingame!

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Honestly, I really don't like the old turrets. Especially the missile launcher and plasmas (the ones in the front). The rest looks great, though.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Your panel gaps/lines are pretty wide, IMO.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Hmm i use the line tool in photoshop and i have it set to the smallest size and thats the result i get.

When I make textures, I ALWAYS work in a large format then scale it down. that does several things. One, it creates a finer panel line.  for better definition. Two, it helps the colors blend in better. Three, details are defined better.
When I do my aviation profiles, I sometimes have well over 200 layers of detail, colors, panel lines, shading, highlighting etc. Each layer is adjusted for the correct opacity that I am looking for. When I am done, I create a png file from that large multi layered  drawing that is reduced down to my target size. The textures for the GTF Ezechiel, the GVF Shu and others that I did have been done in this fashion.

Hope this helps!

All the best,
Jadehawk
Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.