Author Topic: RELEASE: Relive the Glory Days with New Autopilot Feature  (Read 41911 times)

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Re: RELEASE: Relive the Glory Days with New Autopilot Feature
Can you reproduce the problem? Because I can't. I would like to send you a modified mission file to test, if the problem persists. The problem is that we are using parts of the old autopilot code to display nav points. If we could disable old autopilot somehow...
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
If we could disable old autopilot somehow...

... but still display navpoints somehow on the HUD....
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
the problem here is the old nav carry. I would like to try to limit it to the player only, then the problem should vanish completely. I can't remove nav-carry completely, but if it is the player's ship only.

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Maybe it works, never tried that.
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
hi,
i would only say that i have replayed the first mission and the same thing on the end.
but its look that you guys have find it?

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.
attention: this english is dangerours and terrible, runaway so fast you can!

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
could you pm me your mail? I would like to try out a fix, but I can't test it myself :)

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Yes, Keldor is right, we have two ways of doing this. Though, I might say, if we could get 2 - 3 additional sexps, the whole thing would be much, much easier :)
Much easier would be good...the number of events you need to make this work are a bit nightmareish for me :)

Well, we have also a version that takes a few less SEXPs to activate, but more to work. So that one's harder to write but easier to use for the FREDer.

But yeah.. some SEXPs who deactivate physics or some for easier camera control would be nice.
Just in looking at the code...it looks...I could be wrong...that there's a half dozen relatively complex events that you need to setup to make this work.  It LOOKs fantastic...but I tried to set it up on my own and failed miserably (granted I haven't spent good time in FRED for a couple of years now and there are so many new things).  Is there hope in the future to better integrate this so its just really easy to set up? :)
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
could you pm me your mail? I would like to try out a fix, but I can't test it myself :)

hi,
sure, but i dont hide my address: its [email protected]

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.
attention: this english is dangerours and terrible, runaway so fast you can!

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Just in looking at the code...it looks...I could be wrong...that there's a half dozen relatively complex events that you need to setup to make this work.  It LOOKs fantastic...but I tried to set it up on my own and failed miserably (granted I haven't spent good time in FRED for a couple of years now and there are so many new things).  Is there hope in the future to better integrate this so its just really easy to set up? :)

Agreed, on the first view it's very complicated. We have two different versions (this one here is featuring version 1). While this one takes a few simpler SEXP per Navpoint the other has the SEXP only once in the mission, but is much more complicated (longest SEXP EVAR :D )

But technically, it's more a copy and paste issue in both versions :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Ugh, and I still can't figure out how you used those variables. :D
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Shall I post a short explanation as to what these SEXPs do? I meant to write a tutorial on this issue anyway.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I'm sure Prologue fans and mission writers will just LOVE that. ;)
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Okay, this is just a short explanation as to how setup your mission with the autopilot code. The SEXPs shown in this pictures might not be up-to-date as I made them a couple of weeks ago.

First of all, you need to copy two variables into your mission file:

"AutoNavTime" and "FlyByActive"

In the "Init Mission" event (comes true on start up) you need to setup your proxies used for autopilot flyby

Image 01|Image 02

In the SEXP, which unhides Nav X, you need to do following

What follows is copy&paste for each navpoint, all you need to do is to modify FlyBy variable accordingly.

I hope this makes understanding the SEXP chain a bit easier. I wish I could post a template for you guys to use, but I am building missions with "Codename: Hermes" dataset and it is not compatible with the prologue.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Clark

Thanks! Excellent demo, I immensely enjoyed playing through the missions. I almost wish you would recreate the whole of WC3 this way :)

I hope a lot of this simple, but fun, missions will also be included in the complete game, and not only the longer, scripted missions of the prologue. Those patrol missions are the heart of WC i believe, and with the new autopilot system it isn't frustrating at all navigating these points anymore.

Great work!

/C

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Don't worry - there will be quite a few missions like in good old Wing Commander. For instance, I am currently working on a simple seach & destroy mission. But that is another story...

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Hobbes

• Watch youre six
excellent work mates i implement the autopilot demo and saw my old skills as pilot Hobbes lol
iHope i get back my feeling to flight :D

Offline Vash

very nice, but nobody metioned the cutscenes between the missions with the actors (although it's probably from the original game) that was cool too, it gives things like this just that little extra. exelent work

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
You got highlighted... Though 'campaign release'?

Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
You got highlighted... Though 'campaign release'?

I was thinking the same thing! [/Kerrigan]
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
You got highlighted...

That's sweat. Two highlights at once for WCS, we are honored :) Thanks Goober  ;)   and also the rest of the community for support and
interest
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH