Author Topic: Need help of course!  (Read 1551 times)

Offline NickM

Need help of course!
Gang:

Back after a long absence; I have 're-bought' FS2 from GoG & unzipped in it the required folder: (C:/Games:/Freespace or something like that); I got myself the FS2 Open no SSE property & downloaded the mods I desired. When I cranked up both the YAL Launcher & the 'regular' launcher' --but the 'regular launcher' doesn't have any mods to choose & the YAL Launcher has the mods but the game won't start when I hit 'run'.

What's up?

Thanks ahead of time.

NM

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
YAL is not maintained anymore, using the standard launcher or wxLauncher would be better. Having said that, if you don't want to try wxLauncher could you post a screenshot of your normal launcher config window? Also, which version of Windows are you running? You might need to run the launcher as admin (once at least) on newer ones... actually probably Vista onwards so that's not exactly "new" anymore :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline NickM

I wish I knew what the hell any of that meant!  Tech just ain't my thing.

Anyway, I got Win7 but that's about all I can say.

OK Look...clearly the 'manual installation' ain't working for me; does Freespace Installer work or some other 'totally automated' installer work anymore?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
:D

The installer works, you just need Java installed.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline NickM

Well my system already seems to have Java installed, but if I need to get something 'special' for the game, just let me know. Anyway, I will uninstall everything & reinstall the GOG Freespace 2; Then I will start from scratch using that installer.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
OK, so just grab the .jar file from this link and run it.  It should be self explanatory, just post if you have any questions.
----
----

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Do you need to run the FS Open with no SSE?  Unless you're playing on an Athlon XP or a PIII, you should get the standard FS Open, which has SSE 2 support.  If you are using something that old, try SSE, then if not, try no SSE (That'd probably be really old; SSE came out in 1999; SSE 2 was 2001).

Offline NickM

Well my rig is a refurbished office model & it has Win 7; so I guess, I will use standard 'FS Open';