Author Topic: GOG.com version file structure  (Read 877 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
GOG.com version file structure
Figured it was about time to get FSO up and running on my new machine, and instead of digging out my old retail CDs I just grabbed a GOG download.  My plan was to just copy the retail VPs to the traditional Games folder and then delete the GOG installation, but poking around its folder structure I'm finding...an absolute mess.  I mean I kind of understand splitting the cutscene files between the data2 and data3 folders, since I'm assuming that's emulating those being on disks 2 and 3 of the original retail version.  But then there's warble_fs2 duplicated in both the data2 and data3 folders, in addition to its usual spot in the main directory, and the three tangos split between the two in the same way.  And then there's the mysterious tangoA and tangoB, which according to a forum search are completely extraneous and have no known function that anyone's been able to ascertain.  I wonder if there's any method to this madness, or if GOG just tossed files all over the place until they found something that worked.

Offline Yarn

Re: GOG.com version file structure
It looks like they just used all the loose MVE and VP files from the root of the CDs. And if I recall correctly, the VP files don't really need to be there.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: GOG.com version file structure
Yeah, I think for the CDs that was so files needed across all CDs were still available.  Obviously, plating from the hard disk, you wouldn't need those files in every "CD"..