Author Topic: Colossus  (Read 167721 times)

Sorry, the PSU of the PC where everything is stored blew out 2 weeks ago. can't work on it until i get my new one. :sigh:

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Do you have another PC where you could plug in the HDD?
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Unfortunately not, none of my other PCs supports sata. I know i could buy an adapter, but i think i will simply wait for my PSU.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
No rush.  It wasn't going to make it into the new VPs anyway.  Just glad to have it at all.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
:bump:Ultrabump!!!:bump:

For those of you who remember, I got a hold of RagingLoli's Colossus before it went down. Here it is.

I've been working on cleaning it up for in-game use and the base geometry is about done. The original engines were a horrid mess, though, so VasudanAdmiral made some new ones.

Recently I've been fitting it out for turrets; here's what I have so far. It's a little conservative, I know, but I think it suits the feel of the model.

Radar Dish:

Flak Gun:

Anti-fighter beam:
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

This is incredibly cool.

Offline Krelus

Very nice, holy cow.

It's amazing how big of a difference some extra detail can make. I can guarantee that once this is done, the first thing I'll do is replay the FS2 Main Campaign.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Gonna keep the sweet off-center turning?

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Beautiful... :jaw: ...Next up, HTL Arcadia?  :nervous:

:eek: Simply awesome. Only thing I'm (personally) not entirely sure about is the head, it looks "different"from the original one. Probably the upper cap there; I remember the original Collie's head as being more flat on the top.

Still though, great job. On the turrets and (especially) the radar dishes as well :yes:

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
things I think could improve it:

it is missing the V of lights on the sides, this was a fairly distinctive feature on an otherwise featureless ship. it'dd be nice if it was on this ship.

all the girder greeble should not be filled in, there should be a bunch of additional greebly stuff under a freestanding girder structure.

the lower pylon structure needs some more detail, maybe just a simple extrusion about halfway down.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Good to see that it's still alive, as it is without doubt the most epic ship we have to work with. I love the equipment being made for, it's simple, but it works!
Must Crush Shivanism!

Hubba-hubba! Can't wait to get my texturing paws on this one  ;7
Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Jadehawk: You want to texture it? Here's what the UV map looks like right now.

With a model this complex... I am really unsure that any post-UV texturing can be done. If you want to get an idea of what the final UV might look like, grab the high-poly Iceni and look at that.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
O_o
That doesn't look fun to retexture.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Almost reeks of auto-unwrap :nervous:

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Yes, that's the point. :p

After looking at that, I think this model should be done with a combo of Tiles and UV Map Texture. Tiles for the major portions and UV Map texture for details. I say this because it will be difficult to keep the major surfaces rendered the same scale when it's stretched over a flat surface such as a single UV map unless the mapping is done at the same scale and with no stretching what so ever. Given that, I see about three or four 2048X2048 textures to completely render this large ship in a satisfactory manner in my opinion. Others may have a better idea?
Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.