Author Topic: MediaVPs 2014 Discussion thread  (Read 55760 times)

Re: MediaVPs 2014 Discussion thread
Well that is sorta why I suggested a list. So if someone happens to test one and it works then others will know they can use it. I see Incursion was just released as a MediaVPs 2014 upgrade. There is a list on the site that lists what campaigns are polished and such. Maybe add to that list the ones that have been verified.

Any chance we could get a list started as to what campaigns are compatible with MediaVPs 2014? Or is is it likely most will be broken?

Unfortunately, the only way to know is to test them, which is why most campaigns are only guaranteed to be compatible with whatever mediavp release was out when they were released.

Of course, nothing's stopping you from trying any campaign with the new mediavps.  Don't be surprised when you encounter weird errors though :P .  But with a little bit of modding experience most of them are easily fixable.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Feel free to start and manage such a list.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
Well that is sorta why I suggested a list. So if someone happens to test one and it works then others will know they can use it. I see Incursion was just released as a MediaVPs 2014 upgrade. There is a list on the site that lists what campaigns are polished and such. Maybe add to that list the ones that have been verified.

I'd rather you started a new thread rather than adding to list.  The current list is only the campaigns that have been worked on by the FSCRP. 
I'm not really sure the FSCRP is the place for the list as you would need to create one for every MediaVP release.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline Macfie

Please excuse the double post but I came up with a table that will allow use of the FSPort-mediaVPs with the MediaVPs 2014.
See this thread for details: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=86514.0
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Actually maybe we could an asteric or something places in front of campaigns in this list that have been found to work with MediaVPs 2014

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=58358.msg1177882#msg1177882

I'd rather you started a new thread rather than adding to list.  The current list is only the campaigns that have been worked on by the FSCRP. 
I'm not really sure the FSCRP is the place for the list as you would need to create one for every MediaVP release.

Offline Macfie

I would talk to Scotty and have the asterisk added to the Released campaign list: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=70582.0
or added to the campaign list on the FreeSpace WiKi since these have most of the campaigns, where as the FSCRP only has a list of revised campaigns.

For the most part any campaign that works with the 3.6.12 mediaVPs will probably work with the  2014 mediavps. 
Any campaign that doesn't have special tables or models should work with any of the mediavps. 
With the upgrade  I previously mentioned for the FSPort, all of the campaigns that currently work with the latest FSPort and FSPort-mediavps should work.

With any campaign you want to use with the 2014 mediaVPs you will have to revise the mod.ini to Mediavps_2014 and use a recent nightly build.

Just as an aside I played through Blue Planet AOA using the latest BP AVX build without any major problems.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, that's not entirely true. Any campaign that used Arcadia extensions , for example, may have issues. I tried to make sure they would work, bit I can't guarantee it.

Let me ask then.... would the campaign error on loading/launch or maybe in the middle of a mission if it used say for example Arcadia extensions?

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
It shouldn't, but since they require a model alteration anyway (additional dockports) that Arcadia would still be using a retail model, unless campaign was patched (in which case the patch should ensure there are no problems).

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Not necessarily. If they required model alteration, but didn't create a new ship class, then it's possible that the MediaVPs 2014's tbm files will override and force the mod to use the new Arcadia model.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Well, if it's a really old mod (still using .tbl files instead of .tbm) then yes, this could happen. Otherwise, the Arcadia would be reverted to an old model because of the mod loading order.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Code: [Select]
mv_effects-sdf.tbm(line 31):
Error: Required token = [#END] or [$Species_Name:], found [$Countermeasure Type: Vasudan CM] .

ntdll.dll! KiFastSystemCallRet
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 67 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fred2_open_3_7_0_NO-SSE.exe! <no symbol>

What's wrong here? I'm kinda lost, I haven't installed MVPs or played FreeSpace in ages, so I don't know what to do. Happens with both FSO and FRED2 Open.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 12:57:09 pm by Mobius »
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You're running 3.7.0. Follow the install instructions.

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
First of all: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=86475.msg1727290#msg1727290

MediaVPs 2014 require an FSO build dated from 1st of January or later!

Current Required Latest is: fs2_open 3.7.1 Any dated 1st of January or later!
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

I have noticed that in the release thread, it says launcher 5.5g is incompatible with Windows 8. Why then have I been able to easily use it on Windows 8.1? I am running the Pro edition. It's a 90 day Enterprise trial, mind you, but I have been running the launcher on it. I did have what seemed to be an issue with it earlier, but I believe that was actually a sound card driver issue. I AM running an Audigy 2 Platinum sound card in this rig, so it's a little dated. Still, I have not been having launcher issues. So why is it stated that the launcher is not compatible?

--
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Luis Dias

y u use 5.5g??

u most update to use wxlauncher so better!

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=67950.0

also,

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
u most update to use wxlauncher so better!
Until wxLauncher is made portable, 5.5g is still objectively better.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grĂ¢ce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

is this some bizarro universe where the launcher that only runs on windows is 'portable'
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Sarkoth

• Ser Campaign-listador
Until wxLauncher is made portable, 5.5g is still objectively better.

Since I switched from 5.5g to the wx launcher a week ago, I am haunted by not being able to make a final decision on my preferred light settings. How in the world is that supposed to be objectively better? The only thing I haven't done yet is fiddling with the values myself. Any suggestions for gritty but not too dark? So far the only results I am getting are either too bright or too dark. Not to speak of ships either looking like plastic or like way too polished chunks of metal. It's almost driving me insane.
Only the one passed trough darkness obtains the right to ask for light

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
is this some bizarro universe where the launcher that only runs on windows is 'portable'
Portable != cross-platform
Portable as in no install required, just drop the single exe file into FSO dir and use. Copy FSO dir to network dir or external drive and have the launcher follow with all settings intact.

wxLauncher fails in this because it requires an install, contains multiple files and does not (even optionally) save settings to FSO dir.

Edit: Additional bother is when FSO dir contains DLL-files such as OpenAL32.dll but doesn't exist anywhere else in the system, wxLauncher barfs over until you either copy the same file over to where wxLauncher is installed or to some dir in system path (read: system32 or syswow64 if on 64-bit Windows).
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 12:15:13 pm by Fury »