Author Topic: W-H-I-Y-L - boom shake-shake shake the-room.  (Read 3009755 times)

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
Re: W-H-I-Y-L - boom shake-shake shake the-room.
Woo-hoo birthday present, $200 worth of 4x4s and 6x6s for my shop.

Personally part of my youth ended with my first job when I began paying for the car, insurance and gas. The other part ended on the way back from our honeymoon when we knew that everything was on us.

Many people has used the phrase about wait until you have to pay your own way to see how you like being an adult. For me atleast, paying my own way is very satisfying.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 05:17:17 pm by WeatherOp »
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Personally part of my youth ended with my first job when I began paying for the car, insurance and gas. The other part ended on the way back from our honeymoon when we knew that everything was on us.

Many people has used the phrase about wait until you have to pay your own way to see how you like being an adult. For me atleast, paying my own way is very satisfying.

What's your shop do?

Also 14 dollars a month for Netflix!? Holy crap.

Offline WeatherOp

What's your shop do?

Also 14 dollars a month for Netflix!? Holy crap.

It will be a 20'x20' blacksmith shop.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
One of our local skimboarding community was just issued a ticket for "surfing in a no surfing zone".  We have one TINY area of a ~6 mile beach around the pier where historically we can skim unmolested due to the restriction on swimming and surfing around the pier.  That gives us a small window if the lifeguards are actually keeping people out of the water (50/50 at best).  And we still have to work around joggers, walkers, old people with metal detectors, screaming unsupervised toddlers, and pier instagram models crossing through the surf.  Which we do without complaint.  We've been run off from pretty much everywhere else on the beach, including designated surfing zones.  Apparently we have to use a surfing zone, but we can't use a surfing zone.

Important to note that there is absolutely NO statute or signage prohibiting skimboarding ANYWHERE in Virginia Beach.  And it's not as if this is unknown.  It's a common beach activity.  They sell crappy boards in all the tourist trap shops down the strip.  Plenty of kids and even some adults do it casually on their week vacation all up and down the beach.  There's been days where we've had 50 skimmers out at the pier.  A month ago VB hosted its first ever skim competition with more than 100 competitors from Florida to New Jersey.  A fully organized, permitted, real deal pro tour stop.

:mad: :hopping: :banghead: :nono:
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Just got back from a week's Vay Cay up in NH, I don't know why I came back.  Great food and as much sailing as I could squeeze in!

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
VB cops are apparently doubling down on the stupid.  More reports coming in now of cops patrolling the beach specifically to run skimboarders off, saying THEY get to decide what 'surfing' means, and trying to end a 30 year tradition overnight.  Made sweeps to give 'warnings' to every skimboarder they could find, and reportedly took pictures to track who has been warned. 

Never mind those shootings and robberies, or the hobo city we are standing next to while we talk about this, THOSE BEACH GOERS ENJOYING A BEACH ACTIVITY MUST BE STOPPED!
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I made the mistake of looking up pictures of that new LEGO Saturn V set.

...****, if that thing ever winds up back in stock I'm out over $100, because I need it so bad.

I've seen it fully assembled in the flesh, and the amount of awesome was very high.  It was very hard to walk away.  "We're here for the kids, not for me.  We're here for the kids, not for me..."

The year so far:

An old friend that I'd become somewhat estranged from passed away after a long battle with cancer.

A friend of mine and my family lost her husband to cancer.

Two older men I very much looked up to passed away to cancer within almost a month of each other.  Both of them were excellent men, leaders in the congregation, with a huge amount of common sense.  Neither had shown any signs of a problem until a month and a half from their deaths.  Both were old enough to be said to have lived "full lives," but it still sucks and it all happened so fast.  One day they were fine, the next something's not quite right, next week they've got stage 4 pancreatic cancer.

My middle cat (we had three)...  She was not doing well.  She's had chronic inflammation of her intestines and her pancreas for years.  At least a year or so ago, it was verified NOT to be cancer, so we think she had an autoimmune disorder of some kind.  She was the sweetest thing.  She'd never hurt anyone unless except out of fear.  She was completely deferential to her big sister (not really her sister, but they acted like it).  Always let her eat her fill first whenever I fed them.  I took to giving her food in a separate room since I had to put some of her medicine in it, and the other cats wanted first dibs!

Anyway, she wasn't doing well.  She was regularly going #2 outside the litter box, and it was getting less and less formed.  (Sorry if this grosses you out.  I've been living with it for so long it's just facts.)  There's no cure for that sort of problem, but there are ways to mitigate it.  Those methods were losing their effectiveness, though.  So I took her back to the vet so they could take a look at her.  She was scared to death, like always, but the doctor knew her and was very gentle and understanding.  We were going to try changing her diet a bit in case she'd developed an allergy to her food.  I took her home, loved on her and the other girls a bit, and then went to work.  She appeared to be relieved to be home, and darted under the bed.

After work, I picked up the kids and took them home.  Their mama was working a bit late that day, so it was just me and the kids.  There was nothing outside the litter box, which was a bit unusual.  After checking on the kids homework I told them they could play for a bit.  I went looking for the cats.  Two of them had already come by to say hello.  T... she was still under the bed.  She wasn't moving.  Her mouth was open, her eyes were open.  They looked-  Well, if you've seen dead eyes before, you know what they looked like.

That was a couple months ago.  The whole family took it hard.  Her big sister (cat) has been very clingy ever since.  Just got back from the vet and now she's testing positive for pancreatitis.

And in other news, I just turned 40.

Grief.  Last year, so many people far away were dying.  People I didn't know but wished I had.  This year the tragedies are hitting a lot closer to home.  I'm not fishing for sympathy, and I don't have any great life lesson I've got to share from all this.  Just felt like I needed to write it down.  I guess what I keep thinking about is that, if I'm lucky and don't get struck down by some fluke accident or disease, if I live long enough, then it'll be my turn.  And that's true for all of us.

So if anyone has any life affirming events going on in their lives right now they'd feel like sharing, that'd be good.
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

I can't do much from here, but:

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I made the mistake of looking up pictures of that new LEGO Saturn V set.

...****, if that thing ever winds up back in stock I'm out over $100, because I need it so bad.

I just finished building mine. I think it's the best model they have released in years, huge yet intricately detailed, with all sorts of unusual techniques to create the cylindrical shape. All the parts are printed and the instructions even look like a technical document from the 60s. It's also pretty cheap for its piece count (exactly 1969, the year of the first moon landing). It's usually sold out online but is easy to find in Lego stores.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I actually haven't built a LEGO set in at least a decade, outside of one random birthday gift several years ago.  It'd be a lot of fun to try one again.

Offline WeatherOp

Just FYI in simple terms. The states have a service called "Call before you dig" or dialing  811 on your fancy smartphone. When you are planning on "digging" a hole  whether for a mailbox or grave for your mother in law, you call the number. You talk to a nice lady who directs local utilities to come out and mark the utility lines so you know where they are at when you use that shovel or backhoe that you do not know how to use. This same service works for contractors who use boring equipment.

A warning, if this service is too complicated for you;

One: get back in the house and sit on your butt.

Two: get someone who knows how to dial 811 to do the digging.

Three: be prepared to talk to some ticked off utility workers who had to come in a a Saturday to fix the mess you made. The neighbors who where enjoying the fine local utility on the weekend. And expect to hear your bank account cry when the utility bills you for being a dimwit.

This is your standard, friendly service announcement.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Just FYI in simple terms. The states have a service called "Call before you dig" or dialing  811 on your fancy smartphone. When you are planning on "digging" a hole  whether for a mailbox or grave for your mother in law, you call the number. You talk to a nice lady who directs local utilities to come out and mark the utility lines so you know where they are at when you use that shovel or backhoe that you do not know how to use. This same service works for contractors who use boring equipment.

Three: be prepared to talk to some ticked off utility workers who had to come in a a Saturday to fix the mess you made. The neighbors who where enjoying the fine local utility on the weekend. And expect to hear your bank account cry when the utility bills you for being a dimwit.

So, did they put the backhoe through the wastewater line, or the drinking water line?
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline WeatherOp

So, did they put the backhoe through the wastewater line, or the drinking water line?

Drinking Water line. I don't work wastewater anymore thank goodness.

Offline WeatherOp

With three kids, you need a vacation from the vacation....

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Stumbled across this article talking about part of the Columbia disaster report that dealt with a hypothetical plan to rescue the crew if the damage to the thermal protection tiles had been quickly acknowledged and confirmed via satellite observation and/or EVA.  In short, it involved the shuttle being put into a low-power mode (not surprisingly, CO2 build-up would be the primary limiting factor) while Atlantis was sent on a super-expedited launch and rendezvous.  The rescue itself would have been an extremely lengthy and complex series of crew transfers and manual station-keeping between the two shuttles.  An alternative on-board repair strategy would have seen a crazy jury-rigging of bags of water with a thermal blanket and ice coating in an attempt to hold the shuttle together until a feasible bailing altitude.  It's both a fascinating and chilling read.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Stumbled across this article talking about part of the Columbia disaster report that dealt with a hypothetical plan to rescue the crew if the damage to the thermal protection tiles had been quickly acknowledged and confirmed via satellite observation and/or EVA.  In short, it involved the shuttle being put into a low-power mode (not surprisingly, CO2 build-up would be the primary limiting factor) while Atlantis was sent on a super-expedited launch and rendezvous.  The rescue itself would have been an extremely lengthy and complex series of crew transfers and manual station-keeping between the two shuttles.  An alternative on-board repair strategy would have seen a crazy jury-rigging of bags of water with a thermal blanket and ice coating in an attempt to hold the shuttle together until a feasible bailing altitude.  It's both a fascinating and chilling read.

Thanks for that, it was a great read.  That said, from the article itself and the two top comments, it makes it pretty clear that the Columbia's crew were dead basically from the moment that foam hit the orbiter's wing.  As the article illustrates, the fact that it hit a critical non-redundant piece of the orbiter can only really be accounted for by putting the orbiter back on top of the launch vehicle, not strapped to the side.  In that context, and the advances in more traditional rockets re-useability, the ultimate demise of the shuttle program really does seem to make sense.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Well, say hello Harvey!

Because 2017 has not yet sucked enough, we now are under voluntary evacuation from the first hurricane to strike Corpus Christi in over 20 years. Aforementioned sick geriatric cat is complicating this process, as is the fact that we adopted a 2-year old boy kitty who we have named "George" (because duh) who the other two cats are convinced is the spawn of Satan.

On the plus side, some good friends came over and helped me get boards up on all the windows. No matter what else happens, it means a lot to me that they were not only willing but eager to help. I hope when I get the chance to pass on the favor, I recognize it and jump on it. I'm a fairly selfish blighter, but I'm working on it.

Anyway, going to catch a quick hour of sleep and then hit the road in the dead of night to try and avoid the worst traffic.

Say a prayer for the Coastal Bend. This looks like it'll be one for the record books.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, this thing exploded out of almost nothing in a big hurry.  Stay safe.

We got out safe. Leaving at 1:40 in the morning meant almost no traffic. The outer storm bands had already come ashore, but it didn't take long to outpace them.

Teh kittehs are mad, but when we woke up from our naps, they were curled up against our legs.

So, not forgiven, but still loved.

A lot of people I know decided to hunker down. I hope they make it.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan