Author Topic: skipping missions  (Read 2831 times)

Is there a bug in FSO about skipping a mission after 5 tries, I looked everywhere and cannot find an answer.
I tried  multiple possibilities , and find myself having to skip campaign ,I am running out of campaigns
 fast.
In blue planet "forced entry" is just above me but in another mission where  you have to scan a dead ship I scanned in vain until the system crashed.
So is there some control keys to move on.
 Also could somebody, please, explain the scanning procedure, I thought I knew it, apparently not.
I am ,obviously, another pesky nooby
Thank you.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
1. Yea, you should have an option to skip a mission after dying 5 times in a row in it. I wouldn't suggest doing that in some more complex campaigns, though, as some gameplay vital variables could need to be set during the mission in order to have a bug-free playthrough later in the campaign.

2. There are a lot of campaigns around here, but sometimes it's hard to find them. The HLP Wiki campaign list is really outdated, but there was a topic somewhere around with a more recent one.

3. I think I can help you with Forced Entry and that second mission. In Forced Entry a good way to play is to grab a Hercules II, Maxim + something for dogfighting as your primaries, fill the bigger secondary bank with Trebuchets and the other one with whatever you want. The approach is to kill the initial two cruisers as soon as possible (just order everyone to hit them and spam Maxim from far away), and then just try to kill beam cannons of enemy vessels with your long range missiles and Maxim and helping kill off some bombers if you've got time to spare.
The second mission... I have no idea which one is it, any details?
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Thank you for the reply.I will try  again forced entry. The other mission is called "for the wrong reasons".
The lower left window changed from giving the subsystem name to a close up view of the ship and the reticule changed from red lines to blue
, both with the locking triangle for rockets targeting.Meanwhile I will search the wiki some more.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Take a look at this: http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/For_the_Wrong_Reasons. Blue Planet's missions are really well documented on the Wiki, and you can really use the walkthroughs there, since they're pretty well written.

Though I suggest that you should finish Age of Aquarius first, and start War in Heaven only after that. It's a single, chronogical story.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

One thing I had not realized is how far more complex from the original "freespace 2", which is what I used to play 10Y ago, FSO is. Reading the walkthrought is practically a must for the beginner.
Still the 5 tries rule should be there if only to keep  the frustration level down, and going back to a skipped mission later with more experience.
Thank you again for your help NitoPL.
Back to the fray.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Just remember that you need to die five times in a row in a single play session; if you die four times and then quit FSO, you'll need to die five times again next time.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Reading the walkthrought is practically a must for the beginner.

I fail to see the fun in that.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
It's probably better to use cheats than to just skip missions.

"I fail to see the fun in that."
Cobra
Completely agree with that, but sometime you are  simply not up to the mission, yet.
"Just remember that you need to die five times in a row in a single play session"
Admiralralwood
I was not aware of the "die" clause of proper conduct and found myself floating around after everybody went home.
Seppuku here we come.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter

"I fail to see the fun in that."
Cobra
Completely agree with that, but sometime you are  simply not up to the mission, yet.

That's why you try different loadouts and use your wingmen differently when you try again. If your first approach doesn't work, approach the mission in a different way, or turn the difficulty down.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta