Author Topic: Quick question about turrets FOV  (Read 2198 times)

Quick question about turrets FOV
If I got a turret FOV set to say 160 in the pof file of a model and in the tbl/tbm of the ship I set the parameter    "$Turret Base FOV:   120" for the turret subsystem will it limit its FOV to the value set in the tbl or am I missing something? Do the turret needs a rotating base to limit the FOV with this parameter?

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Re: Quick question about turrets FOV
The FOV in the pof file is a cone. So, for a multi-part turret that means how low the barrel can drop. If it's 180 then that means the normal hemisphere arc of fire.

The $Turret Base FOV determines how much the turret base can rotate in either direction. If it's, say, 90 but the pof FOV is 180 then the firing arc is a hemisphere cut in half.

EDIT: I'd believe $Turret Base FOV has no effect on single-part turrets.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 05:40:44 am by zookeeper »

Ok thanks for the answer, so if I want to limit a single-part turret firing arc I must change the value in the pof model file right?

Offline zookeeper

So it seems. At least I don't see or recall any table-side overrides for that.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
What about topside turrets that are supposed to be facing to the port or starboard? (think secondaries on battelships)

I know you can set starting facing any way you want, but the base FOW wil still be forward. Setting it to 90°limits it to forward arc.
How to set left turrets to face left, right turrets to face right?
fvec and uvec?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline zookeeper

What about topside turrets that are supposed to be facing to the port or starboard? (think secondaries on battelships)

I know you can set starting facing any way you want, but the base FOW wil still be forward. Setting it to 90°limits it to forward arc.
How to set left turrets to face left, right turrets to face right?
fvec and uvec?

Yes. With fvec/uvec you define what is forward and what is up for the turret. The model data itself can't hold any rotational data for submodels, so when you have a turret that is physically facing in some other direction, you need to use the fvec/uvec properties to let the game know what way the turret should be considered to be pointing in.

You ought to be figure it out by looking at pretty much any model which does have weirdly angled turrets. Just copy an fvec/uvec value to a thruster/gunpoint/whatever normal box and see where it's pointing (after inverting the X axis, anyway).

Also, a convenient detail: you don't actually need to set the turret gunpoint normals if you have the fvec/uvec set.

I have a small problem with a multipart turret:
I rotated the model 180° around Y axis so that it faces backwards but still stands up and set $fvec:0,0,-1.

The turret is working but the barrel rotate as if it was set to face forward (ie $fvec:0,0,1).

What am I doing wrong?
Do I need to also set $uvec although it has not changed?

Offline zookeeper

I have a small problem with a multipart turret:
I rotated the model 180° around Y axis so that it faces backwards but still stands up and set $fvec:0,0,-1.

The turret is working but the barrel rotate as if it was set to face forward (ie $fvec:0,0,1).

What am I doing wrong?
Do I need to also set $uvec although it has not changed?

What do you mean, set? If you already have it then that means it's set. You can't set something that hasn't changed.

Anyway, $fvec:0,0,-1 with $uvec: 0,1,0 should work. Did you rotate the turret in PCS2 or in your modelling app? I don't know if it would make any difference, I've just personally always been jittery about doing transformations in PCS2 out of fear that something invisible ends up being wrong.

Also, if you don't find another solution and if it's a turret that's able to rotate 360 degrees, then you could just let it face forward but set the initial angles in the ship table.

I used pcs2.
Thanks for the table tip I didn't notice that by reading the tables entries! I'll give it a try.

Problem solved!

It was because only $fvec was set in the pof file!

By adding $uvec:0,1,0 the turret was moving right.

Thanks for the tips.