Author Topic: Metirian's book. Ships of the line  (Read 9602 times)

Re: Metirian's book. Ships of the line
only major problems are that the big loop on the bottom looks pointless and the hangar at the front is a boring rectangle that could do with being broken up or having interesting stuff built around it
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

i could get rid of the loop to see how it looks. i put the hanger in front cause a rear line/support ship. and the command structure of earth would never have it out alone or in front. and i thought it would look more human. since before metting the terrans they never met a race that required them to put there hanger entrance in a more secure area.

Offline Lorric

I'm really surprised it's been that long since you last posted here. It really doesn't feel like it. I like the ship. :)

i could get rid of the loop to see how it looks. i put the hanger in front cause a rear line/support ship. and the command structure of earth would never have it out alone or in front. and i thought it would look more human. since before metting the terrans they never met a race that required them to put there hanger entrance in a more secure area.

You don't have to compromise that stuff though, you could e.g. put a hangar deck in the middle and chamfer off the forward corners, a bit like the flight pods on the Theseus in Diaspora. Anything to make it look less like the top of a cereal box, basically.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

hmm. i wanted the loop to be a form of protective armor so only the sides were vulnerable. only reason why the loop is there in the first place. also what does the thesus pod area look like?

and the ship without the loop could be a speedier variant.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 11:52:48 am by metirian »

I love big armour plates held away from the hull but the problem with the loop is that it doesn't give enough coverage to look defensive. It needs to be a bit wider and it needs to curve or angle around the main hull. Blue Planet has a few ships with plates like this, e.g. the Sanctus as modelled by Hades:

The Theseus' pods look like this. You don't have to go for that particular look but note how it's not a big boring cuboid with a hole at the end.

OK now I got you on the hanger part yeah the bays do look better and harder to hit cause of the narrow space and isn't a big box. as for the loop i was thinking of replacing it for maybe a spinal cord like armor going from a little behind the nose down toward the bridge and then up to the engine. it would look pretty cool and protect the bottom of the ship were the bridge and sensors are. and the engine would be giving more protection. ;7

maybe or just do a spinal cord on the sides of the ship.

while i do that stuff i want to post some new pics on the mejerian race. all female race. this one was radically different from the human ships since those are boxy i wanted ships that were more beautiful but deadly as well. they might not look like beauty but what i draw there diamonds in the sea for me lol. :)