Author Topic: No Man's Sky  (Read 29184 times)

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Thirty hours later and I've lost all desire to bother trying to find all the creatures on the planet. I'm always stuck with one elusive prick despite my best efforts to check caves, water, land, air and all those white dots on the scanner
"No"

Offline Luis Dias

Kotaku's take on the game is a fairly interesting read.  Basically the reviewer initially sank a few dozen hours into it and wound up feeling immensely disappointed...and then they went back to it with an entirely different gameplay approach and wound up really enjoying it.  It sounds for all the world like the sort of game that only really clicks for certain people, or for people playing it a certain way, neither of which meshed with what the game was initially billed as.  I think those saying that it would had been widely praised if it had been born as a $20 indie title instead of a super-hyped $60 AAA affair are exactly right.  I didn't even follow most of the hype myself, and it's not really my style of game, so I don't think I'd bother with it even with a substantial discount.

That was my whole pitch from back to 2013. I *always* saw this game as exactly that kind of cool new indie title that did something new that was missing in the scene. I was hoping the crew would stick to it for they never descended into the Star Citizen trap, but Sean Murray is indeed to be blamed for letting everyone's hopes start to go to ridiculous zones. And when I saw that 60 bucks I thought, "these guys are in for a ride indeed, one that was paved by Sony, no doubts about it". They should have never got into a deal with Sony, I think that kind of stuff was their downfall (even down to their QA support, which was absolutelly appalling on the PC end, go figure).

Turns out NMS's flight model allows for perfectly functioning low-altitude flight which can be modded back in:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-08-23-a-new-pc-mod-fixes-one-of-no-mans-skys-most-frustrating-traits
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Lorric

Angry Joe review:
Are these types of games just too much for people to build? Did he blatantly lie repeatedly to us to scam us for money? This is a bug filled hollow cheap knockoff of what it was supposed to be, and he should be ashamed of himself for releasing it in this condition and charging full price for it and not letting us know the state it's in. You all know about Star Citizen, perhaps Elite Dangerous might reach their goal, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were still working on the game and towards that final goal ten years from now. Horizons is moving significantly slower than I expected.

Come on game industry. Let's get back to basics. A game just set in our solar system with colonised planets and moons would still be absolutely massive. Hell, just set on a 1:1 scale colonised moon would be enormous and one of the biggest game Worlds in all of gaming. Quality over quantity. Not this wide as the ocean deep as a puddle stuff.

Or can we just get back to something like "You're The Hero, flying The Ship, for The Resistance / Earth against The Empire / The Aliens in The War to save The Planet / The Galaxy."

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Hype culture is worse culture
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
Turns out NMS's flight model allows for perfectly functioning low-altitude flight which can be modded back in:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-08-23-a-new-pc-mod-fixes-one-of-no-mans-skys-most-frustrating-traits

THANK BLOODY GOD
Though their flight model still sucks
"No"

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
+1 for PC Master Race and the ability to MOD. Amirite?  :nod:
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
yeah, mods are quickly making the PC version way cooler...

Here's my last play session with mods Big Fauna, Big Flora, and Low Flight enabled.

https://www.twitch.tv/mjnmixael/v/85799087

Offline Luis Dias

Has the game been bugging you too much?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I've had only one or two crashes. No other bugs to speak of.. and I've been playing since day 1.

Offline Luis Dias

Aw. That's actually nice to know!

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
yeah, mods are quickly making the PC version way cooler...

Here's my last play session with mods Big Fauna, Big Flora, and Low Flight enabled.

https://www.twitch.tv/mjnmixael/v/85799087

Seems the low flight mod still has some hiccups where the original settings fight against it
Otherwise not bad at all

Aw. That's actually nice to know!

My experience has been similar, I've only had a CTD twice and some wonky texture stretching but that's about it so far
"No"

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The Low Flight Mod just lets you fly below the arbitrary flight floor in the unmodded game. The weird slowness you saw also occurs without the mod, so it's something in the design of the flight model that's kinda funky.

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
The Low Flight Mod just lets you fly below the arbitrary flight floor in the unmodded game. The weird slowness you saw also occurs without the mod, so it's something in the design of the flight model that's kinda funky.

And here I thought that weird sluggishness was due to the flight floor which kept fighting against me
Woo, screw this game...
"No"

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Just watched the Angry Joe review. Basically he solidified my opinion. I'd love to try it one day and see what it's like but there's no way in hell I'm buying the game unless they put back in things that were promised and drop the price to something far more reasonable.

He does a good job of pointing out the lies they told about stuff that would be in the game though. Also I've never been so happy to be spoiled about a game's ending as I was by that video. If I'd got to the centre of the galaxy and gotten that ending I would have had to kill someone.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mikes

Just watched the ending on youtube as well.

Guess Mass Effect 3 wasn't so bad after all ... :P

Wow, that video is pretty damning. Definitely staying away for several years as usual until the mods flesh it out and the price goes to bargain bin levels.

The ending is pretty well-written!
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Come on game industry. Let's get back to basics. A game just set in our solar system with colonised planets and moons would still be absolutely massive.
Kerbal Space Program. :) OK, it's not real scale (mainly for gameplay reasons), but can be made so with mods. What's interesting, it didn't start with a huge idea. It started as a very rudimentary physics sim that simply kept growing. Sure, it has its flaws and the graphics are medicore at best, but compared to how things look for other projects operating on such a scale, well...

Another thing to note that it has never involved any sort of multiplayer. Sure, the idea has been floating about, but it's always been a sideshow at most. So yeah. Start small, work your way up and stay away from grand multiplayer schemes (at least until the point you really don't have anything better to work on). To think of it, FSO (and many other open-source projects) also worked out that way. On the other hand, when ArmA3's devs tried focusing on multiplayer in the latest expansion, it was a complete disaster. Make of that what you will.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I got a message from a friend who I'd asked about No Man's Sky. He said this.

There are a lot of people commenting on whether or not they deliberately lied to us about what was in the game. And it's possible that they didn't do it deliberately, but here's why I think they did. One of the main reasons people don't lie is cause they respect the people they are talking to. You only need to play No Man's Sky for an hour or two to realise that the developers have absolutely no respect for their audience. I've never played a game that gave less of a **** about wasting your time. From making it take 2-3 seconds to click on any button on the interface, to making it take a good 5 minutes to dig up a single deposit of gold, to making it take over a minute of just sitting about doing nothing to travel between planets. The game is determined to draw out the amount of time it takes to do anything for no good reason whatsoever. Is there any good reason why it should take 20 seconds to initiate dialogue with an alien? Or why any dialogue should appear on screen at slower than reading speed when it's not going to scroll?

There is a good game here but it's been buried under layer upon layer of bull****, with luck modders will be able to dig it back out.

From watching a few gameplay videos, I kinda see what he means. 
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]