Author Topic: Forum avatars and titles  (Read 32124 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Forum avatars and titles
Every attempt to make a high level decision on HLP becomes another attempt to reckon past grudges.

I'm gonna put out a patch to FreeSpace Blue soon and you guys should all play it to remember how awesome FreeSpace 2 is!

I really wanted to integrate the demo missions into the campaign but they use a different and less good voice cast. Seems like the multi missions have no dialogue worth plundering either. :(

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Every attempt to make a high level decision on HLP becomes another attempt to reckon past grudges.
Goober is super good at this, it distracts from having to discuss the issue at hand. Instead he can make personal remarks at me again. Spin an amazing narrative in which I am a nefarious villian.

Quote from: Goober
I explicitly told you to discuss the subject without snark or condescension.  Have a warning.
Oh nooo! A warning! You got me Goober, you won the argument.
Do you feel in charge now? Have you smitten down the mere user with your divine admin power? What a joke. You are objectively a hypocrite, you accuse me of bad tone while you have done nothing but try to make things personal. And then you abuse your admin position to try and get the last word.

You can't look at this, this, this, this, this, this, this, and this and tell me those aren't inflammatory.
Hey that's cool, two can play your dumb game:

Demanding that forum tradition be changed to suit your personal preferences, ****posting about it, ignoring a global moderator's moderation action, and then taunting that global moderator are all extremely childish ways of making inquiries of the forum staff.  Do you want us to treat you like a child?  After all, according to your profile, you are a female 13-year-old located in a state of confusion.
Being condenscending as ****, calling me childish then proceeds to:
Now then, Spoon, I can see that your custom title ranting is not without merit.  Accordingly, I have assigned you a suitable title.
*Gives me a backhanded title* Yeah, that was real mature of you.

And for goodness' sake, the absolute worst reason to change long-established tradition is because one user ****posted about it.
Accusing me of ****posting #1

I don't know if you're being dishonest or just oblivious.  For the sake of a good faith discussion I'll assume the latter.
Says Karajorma is a either dishonest or oblivious

As for your impression that I hold any spite or ill will against Spoon, you are quite mistaken.  I am concerned about the long-term effect on HLP if a single forum member can overturn literally years of HLP precedent based on nothing more than throwing a tantrum.  And this is a mild tantrum compared to what we have experienced in the past.
Condescendingly says I am 'throwing a tantrum'

You are not the unilateral arbiter of what is and is not good policy.
Have to make mention of how ironic this is, considering you are treating HLP like, as NGTM-1R so nicely put it, your personal fiefdom.

Whether you feel it or not, Luis, that is precisely what Spoon is doing.  His entire argument, starting from his first ****post in the previous thread, has been pure rhetoric.
Accusing me of ****posting #2

He's not participating in a good faith discussion.
Is that so?

It was a backhanded title because Spoon made a ****post.
Again, #3 ****post mention. Admits to the title being backhanded again. Yup, continues being mature and being on point of the argument.

****posting is a terrible way to kick off a discussion, and it's led to mudslinging and rhetoric-slinging in most of the posts that followed.
#4 and the mudslinging has been done entirely by you at this point. The discussion was going fine until you came in: "Complaining that personal attacks are rampant when your first and second posts on the subject singled out other users and accused them of ****posting and making arguments in bad faith is merely darkly amusing." incidentally I am not the only one that sees it that way
Your first post in this thread was certainly a ****post because a) it was posted in defiance of The E, and b) you taunted The E about it.  Neither of which you have apologized for, by the way.
#5 and proof that you cannot read tone and context and are merely out to spin my posts in such a way that you can read them as personal attacks, Because:
Since the previous topic got locked by The_E for no reason given and since he is asleep now and can't read my pm, I'll just make a new thread. Seems like I win, checkmate The_E

Your first post in this thread was certainly a ****post because a) it was posted in defiance of The E, and b) you taunted The E about it.  Neither of which you have apologized for, by the way.

I gotta say that this is open to interpretation. I read this completely as a joke, certainly not defiance or taunting  (pure words are 7% of communication?)
I certainly read it that way.

3rd.
Everyone understood that it was joke. Several people are correcting you that your perspective is skewed.

The E then tells you exactly how it is:
Quote from: The E
This whole sideshow of Goob trying to defend my authority as a GlobMod is laughable. I am perfectly capable of reading context and intent, and I believe I know spoon well enough to tell when he's joking and not. A bit of lèse–majesté is perfectly alright in my book; the alternative, to treat every little tweak of the nose as a grave insult to THE AUTHORITAY, just doesn't lead to good places. The only reason I closed the first thread was because it did not go good places; Instead of discussing whether or not avatars should be allowed or not, it was all "HLP IS THE DEAD".
Which you then, again, blatantly ignore and spins in such a way that it fits your own narrative rather than doing a bit of self reflection and realizing you were wrong.

As for whether or not admins and mods give a damn about how this topic was brought up, turning a blind eye to ****posting (Spoon even acknowledged that he was ****posting) is only going to lead to more ****posts in the future.  That is certainly something that admins and mods should be considering.
#6, you are really obsessed with '****posting' and feel the need to keep bringing it up and up despite several people telling you how bringing it up again and again isn't relevant to anything. You seem to put so much weight and value on it, it's perfect for dismissing that pesky Spoon and trying to make the conversation at hand seem like its not worth discussing.
"it was just a prank bro"

When something looks like a ****post and you acknowledge it as a ****post, then claim that it's not, when you say you're not going to engage anymore and then engage, you shouldn't be surprised when people don't believe you.
1. Dismissing my explaination on how I used the term, because **** Spoon, that filthy liar.
2. Personally attacking me by calling me a liar.
3. 'People' is just you. But you wouldn't believe me if I told you the earth was round.
4. Spinning my post again in such a way that you can personally brush me off. Keep being classy and mature!

And yet, neither Spoon's first nor second resort was to bring it up calmly.  I wonder why he skipped over those steps.  (Oh no, I don't wonder: being "grr mad" is his thing.)
Nobody wonders about this but you, because everyone else can see the first two posts in the first thread were in jest. You may not consider it funny, that is fine. But you cannot be serious that you actually thought my previous thread was a serious temper tantrum in which I actually demanded a title like a small child. Everyone with some reading comprehension who knows me and my normal posting style (and my recent few silly posts in the starcitizen thread), can tell the locked topic was a jesting way to bring up a subject.
I already explained to you what I meant with ****post. You deliberately disregarded my explaination and called me a liar for it. Again, you personally attack me and try to dimmish my opinion's worth with backhandely taking my "grrr mad" jest and assigning it as a personality trait.

As for "excellent posts", when people have discussed the facts of the matter I respond in kind.  You're not arguing the merits of the case as many of the people in this thread have actually tried to do.  Your style seems to rely mostly on hand-waving beneath your special sense of humor combined with issuing ad hominems.
Holy **** the irony.
1. I'd love to see you try and discuss NGTM-1R excellent long post he made earlier. Without resorting to "it's tradition therefore nothing should change, ever"
2. I brought up the case to begin with, I have argued the merits, I have echo'd the merits I agree with and have nothing else to add to of  posts from other members. But it's so nice of you to dismiss everything I have posted, again.
3. My 'Special sense of humor'? Really? Another personal attack? My sense of humor is not 'special' in any way. Bloody hell you keep being so disgustingly backhanded.
4. "combined with issuing ad hominems." I have not made any personal attacks worth a damn, and if I have gotten personal it was in counter to someone ad-homined'ing me first. And that's Black wolf and You.

Get off your high horse, Goober. Your opinions don't come with some kind of special gilding of truth (NGTM-1R is like a well of good quotes), in fact you have been repeately proven wrong by several people. It'd nice to see you have some self reflection here.

I can't wait for you to twist everything I say again. Or hell why stop there? Give me another warning so you can have the final word in the mudslinging that you started.

See why I didn't wanted to engage with you?
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Present some example screenshots. Discuss what formats you desire.

Then make a poll, a referendum if you will.

For my part, I won't resent anything that may come off of it, even if its merely dictated from high above. How dare me if I would. *

* I must add, because this is the internet after all, that I'm being exactly 0% sarcastic here.
I'll go do a bit of photoshopping tonight, come up with a possible format.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Regardless of anyone's opinion of how the thread started, surely by this point the consensus is clear, and there's no argument against it except 'we shouldn't do it because Spoon didn't ask nicely.'

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
For the future Goober, if you are unsure if I am mean something in jest or am actually serious, you should check with someone else (not with Black wolf) to double check if you actually understand correctly. Your whole tirrade against me in this forum is purely based on you assuming that everything I said is literal and serious and said in ill will.
Because you have a history of not understanding my sense of humor and interpreting everything as a personal attack of sorts.
Proven twenty times over in this thread again.
Urutorahappī!!

Regardless of anyone's opinion of how the thread started, surely by this point the consensus is clear, and there's no argument against it except 'we shouldn't do it because Spoon didn't ask nicely.'

I argued against it a fair bit but i guess from the start the only aim here was to rant at goober
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I'll go do a bit of photoshopping tonight, come up with a possible format.
Because I am important I will quote myself.
Prepare for a lot of smug anime face.

Axem's idea from a few pages back:

I think this is a fine proposal, I like the badge before the staff position.

Here's like two possible layouts with a post that is only like 1 sentence thick. (I don't know what font the forum uses exactly so have some good old bankgothic for the mockup)

The my releases (which may sound really wrong depending on how you choose to read it  :p) would be the link to the proposed idea of a profile page with links to what the person has made public over time. I was thinking this could alternatively be a button like the irq buttons or whatever. But just from personal experience I have never ended up using those buttons myself, and I think a small button like that could potentially be overlooked way too easily.

And this is a version with the suggested thinner avatars. 2 badge rows of 5 large basically. Which I like more than sample 1 personally.

And just to show what it would like for those few people who hoard a lot of badges :p

Anyway, critique, hate, comment, suggest something different, away
Urutorahappī!!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

I argued against it a fair bit but i guess from the start the only aim here was to rant at goober

But weren't all your objections answered by 'you can turn avatars off'?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
[snip]
Anyway, critique, hate, comment, suggest something different, away
I like Sample 2, but I also like the badge-before-position from Axem's mockup. I also think the badges below the avatar looks slightly cleaner for some reason? Not really sure why.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I like Sample 2, but I also like the badge-before-position from Axem's mockup. I also think the badges below the avatar looks slightly cleaner for some reason? Not really sure why.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
[snip]
I really, really like that layout.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

But weren't all your objections answered by 'you can turn avatars off'?

Not really; I think defaults matter a lot in design and "we'll add an option" is an unacceptable copout. I browse HLP a lot as a guest, as well.

You mentioned the SA forums a while back and the SA forums look like ****. That's their style, I'm not knocking it. HLP doesn't look like ****, and I appreciate that.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Luis Dias

I know Freespace uses and abuses BankGothic... but please.... please I beg you.... pleeeease don't use it.

So, would the forums defaulting to not showing avatars and an option to turn them on be better? Everyone in this thread asking for them would easily be able to turn them on.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
So, would the forums defaulting to not showing avatars and an option to turn them on be better? Everyone in this thread asking for them would easily be able to turn them on.
But then how would you make new users aware that avatars are even a thing?
How about: Off for guests, then on by default for logged in users which can then choose to turn them off? I've seen this scheme used on other forums before.

I know Freespace uses and abuses BankGothic... but please.... please I beg you.... pleeeease don't use it.
Oh come on, it's not like I'm using ComicSans  :p
Using BankGothic for a mock up for a Freespace 2 forum seemed appropriate!

I really, really like that layout.
Excellent
Urutorahappī!!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

Yep. that's easily do-able. As I mentioned before, we can make avatars off the default setting. I can even push that change to all existing users meaning that if in fact if I had turned avatars on for everyone this morning I don't think anyone would have noticed until someone noticed that all the admins had lost theirs and started wondering why.

So if we do decide to turn avatars on that means I can even choose if

a) All existing HLP members will see them by default.
b) All existing HLP won't see avatars until they go to their control panel and switch them on.

In fact, with a little abuse of the membergroups and badges system it is even possible to allow Admins to continue to show their avatars even when avatars are turned off by simply making them the members of a group with a badge the same shape and size as their avatar.

So when it comes to avatars the issue isn't HLP has traditionally always looked this way to x and x doesn't want the way it looks to change. The issue is HLP has always traditionally looked this way to everyone and x doesn't want anyone to be able to look at it differently even if they want a change.

TL;DR   It is not only completely possible to turn on avatars without affecting people who don't like them but it is completely possible for me to have already done it without anyone noticing. This is why I find is so incomprehensible that anyone is still arguing this issue.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
TL;DR   It is not only completely possible to turn on avatars without affecting people who don't like them but it is completely possible for me to have already done it without anyone noticing. This is why I find is so incomprehensible that anyone is still arguing this issue.

*Deathspeed runs to settings to see if karajorma already did this
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I didn't actually do it. :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I admit, like Deathspeed, I actually checked to see if you did too  :p

(p.s. Your post quotes me as saying something FrikgFeek posted)
Urutorahappī!!

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Sample 2 is slick. 3 is OK, but for some reason I much much prefer the look of badges on top. It's like the larger avatar is supporting them or something.

Though I would miss my custom text... but that would be remedied with the previously mentioned "my works" page or whatever.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.