Author Topic: Half Life 3 (Sort of? ...)  (Read 3519 times)

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Half Life 3 (Sort of? ...)
It's as good as it might ever get: https://github.com/Jackathan/MarcLaidlaw-Epistle3/blob/master/Epistle3_Corrected.md

And here is the original link by Marc, with the names shifted so he wouldn't get tackled by Val: http://www.marclaidlaw.com/epistle-3/

Thought some of you might want some sense of closure if you played the franchise.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Half Life 3 (Sort of? ...)
That was decent! Not much movement on the Gman metastory but hey

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
This isn't Half-Life 3. This is Half-Life 2: Episode 3.

So what are the chances Crowbar Collective or Tripmine Studios decides to make a fanmade HL2:E3 after finishing Black Mesa/Operation: Black Mesa+Guard Duty?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Someday someone will hopefully sit down and explain to me how one of the most beloved franchises in gaming history petered out like a stale fart.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Someday someone will hopefully sit down and explain to me how one of the most beloved franchises in gaming history petered out like a stale fart.

Valve tends to work like an anarchist commune, which means that at a certain point the right people got bored and started working on something else abandoning the project.
They also seem to have lost interest with single player narrative games in general, probably because most people there are game designers and multiplayer games don't have all that pesky story and dialogues that force to consider how game mechanics relate to them.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

I thought that was to do with Interplay being bad at marketing?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Damn son

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something

I am wishing so hard we had a post upvote function right now.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I see what you did there.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Some of the fanart to come out of this is kinda neat:

https://i.redd.it/3gb9z32w0diz.png

It also made me wonder, if an engine like FSO could handle putting a Dyson Sphere on a map (Obviously it would have to be faked with some clever SEXP and Models if even doable)

Well you could easily just put it in the skybox.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Given that objects that large are impossible to interact with meaningfully (you can only ever interact with tiny bits and pieces of them), doing them as a skybox is the only reasonable way to do them.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter

Worth a read:  http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2017/01/11/searching-for-half-life-3.aspx

Basically, Valve's structure is such that they do some really unique and interesting things.  It is also such that a momentous, beloved and aspiration project like HL3 will almost definitely not be released without a change leading to major top-down direction.

It's incredibly unfortunate.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Basically, Valve's structure is such that they do some really unique and interesting things.

You're missing a 'was' there.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.