Author Topic: Star Wars: Battlefront II beta kinda supports joysticks  (Read 2418 times)

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Star Wars: Battlefront II beta kinda supports joysticks
I've been playing the free beta recently and it seems you can use a joystick this time!
Of course at first it decided my throttle was the stick but I managed to make the stick work by using the generic “merged” profile otherwise the game decides that the throttle is the main joystick regardless of how the priority is set in the control panel, considering that the throttle ministick “click” function seems to be the trigger it would be a rather uncomfortable way to play the game.
Of course no throttle sliders are supported which means that both the separate throttle and the wheel at the base of the stick are useless.
There is also no way to configure the stick which is very annoying, you cannot even see which button does what because the config screen still assumes a goddamn xbox controller.
Also sometimes it bugs out and starts acting like a mouse for some reason which means you spin around like a maniac until they kill you.
It seems the problem with the joystick was due to me accidentally moving the mouse, for some reason the game can’t quite separate the two devices and if you dare touch the rodent peripheral its peculiar system of interface gets transferred to the joystick.
But still when it worked while not exceptional it was still much better than the controls in the first battlefront.
Hell, I was actually able to shoot down other fighters in this one!
And even a couple of corellian corvettes!
I mean, it actually aims where I'm pointing at while flying a ship!
I just wish there was a proper configuration screen for the joystick and slider axis support, I could probably create a dual stick profile using the ministick on the throttle but it would feel more out of place than just keeping the left hand on the keyboard.
Other than that I managed to do well enough though the scenario in the beta seems to be a bit skewed to the empire side, in the last match I had the rebels were repelled at the first stage of their attack and I remember losing only once while playing for the empire, and I’m not sure I can recall winning even one match for the rebels.
The hero ships are supremely irritating however, whenever they get involved you have to hope you aren’t in their visual range or you are screwed, though I think I managed to shoot down Han Solo once, I think.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor