Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 908112 times)

Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
The "jammed" AI is used by the ECM pod in Eyes in the Storm.

Her Finest Hour implements beam jamming by locking the beams and periodically fire-beaming them at either an artillery ship or some other point.

Offline Homura

I am curious, will the next update be act 4 or act 3 with voice over?
An when are they to expect? There was no update since 2014 right?

The next update will just be a general asset update with no new missions. Since no work is being done on act 3 VA AFAIK the next "release" will be act 4.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Homura

To bad... I had many problems with going through mission and also get all the dialog done reading. That was a pain in the ass. And i realy wanted to hear the Fedayeen people talking.
Well, you cant have everything, they say^^
Any idea when the next release will happen?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Years if ever, the problem is that we're all adults now and Darius is a doctor and I'm a writer. BP tended to get done in full-crunch sprints when one of us would work on it full time, no job no distractions, and the rest of the team would rally in support: but that's not really practical now.

But the story will be wrapped up somehow. Also we started sneaking in some planned BP3 mechanics in AoA.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
So... I recently attempted to play TBI - new BP patch, a recent 3.7.5 nightly...

Is anyone else experiencing each Maxim hit sounding like a shockwave wash at OVER 9000 volume?
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Darius

Is that near the beginning of the mission? I assumed it was the shockwaves from the station exploding - i don't hear them again later in the mission

Offline Makhpella

• Kharak is burning!
So... I recently attempted to play TBI - new BP patch, a recent 3.7.5 nightly...

Is anyone else experiencing each Maxim hit sounding like a shockwave wash at OVER 9000 volume?

Wait, that's what that was? ****ing Maxim? I could never figure out where it was coming from. I assumed it was my missiles hitting the corvettes. Silly me.
'I'm from the marksman school of conversation.' -Kovacs

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Wait a sec. Maybe something's using Morningstars?

Just played through BP for the first time. This is absolutely amazing. Please, please finish it.

Offline Mito [PL]

No, it isn't the station exploding - these sounds are way, WAY louder (like ignoring all of my ingame sound settings, possibly Windows volume setting too)... Everything is right until Maxim starts impacting my hull (might be somehow related to going to 1st person camera mode to line up a good gauss cannon overcharge salvo), then it's hell. Yeah, I'm playing on a headphones...
It would seem that Tev bombers' primaries have a shockwave. And so much of these sounds at once break something with the volume.

But since I played TBI for about several dozen times, I just thought "Meh. Gonna try again later" and didn't really try to test it with another FSO combination. Gotta do it... but later. (Or not - who needs sleep anyway?  :rolleyes: )

I patched BPC with the patch from 23rd of July, downloaded the patch on August 8th. It's possible I missed something that came out later though...?
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Really think it's probably Morningstar.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
But I'm really grateful people are interested!

So the Morningstar has gone from a weapon you can't give to the AI because getting bounced around is unfun and only good to annoy the player compared to weapons that actually deal damage to a weapon you can't give to the AI because for some reason the shockwaves stack up while firing in bursts then release the loudest sound you'll ever hear once you stop firing.

Or at least I think that's what happening. I don't remember the MS being quite THIS loud back when it was first changed.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Mito [PL]

Tried it out on 3.7.5 3e0fbbb x64 build. Whatever primaries Borealis and Cancer bombers have in their loadout, they cause visible shockwaves on impact, and the sound... I endured it for long enough to actually be able to break their formation and let my PD turrets get rid of them. And it would seem that nothing else in the mission causes any problems like that.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yes, as above, it's the Morningstar. Needs some kind of solution to the overlapping shockwave sounds.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Is this with or without OpenAL Soft (which switches to a new audio code)? If you don't know for sure, the debug log should say.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Mito [PL]

Code: [Select]
You are not using OpenAL Soft. Disabling enhanced sound.Awwww, so not only OpenAL, but also OpenAL soft? Okay, gotta install that one too. :blah:
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Creative's OpenAL has been unmaintained garbage for years, you should have switched to OpenAL Soft already.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Mito [PL]

So, I have installed the OAL Soft... I think. Dropping .dlls into system32 is not a standard installation procedure.
Code: [Select]
Initializing OpenAL...
  OpenAL Vendor     : OpenAL Community
  OpenAL Renderer   : OpenAL Soft
  OpenAL Version    : 1.1 ALSOFT 1.17.2

Found extension "AL_EXT_float32".
  Found extension "ALC_EXT_EFX".
Enhanced sound is enabled.

Well, the shockwave sounds are still there, but this time they decided to obey the mighty volume bar.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.