Author Topic: (Release) - Lightning Marshal restored  (Read 12085 times)

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
(Release) - Lightning Marshal restored
The Lightning Marshal Restored
The campaign has been restored to work with the MediaVPs-2014 and the most recent nightly build (r10900).  The flight mechanics are the original freespace mechanics and the campaign has been kept as close to the original release as possible.

Original Author  Stunaep
There is also a prequel to Lightning Marshal, named The Regulus Campaign included in the upgrade.
The missions and campaigns are focused on one ship: The GTCv Actium, and occasionally its sistership, the GTCv Lysander.

Part 1 by Spicious
The Actium goes against an NTF heavy warship - the NTD Liberty in this 3-mission campaign.
Part 2 by Spicious
The pilots of the 87th Space Cowboys are sent to guard a civilian convoy en route to the NTF-controlled system of Sirius. Little do they know that the NTF doesn't intend to sit by idly...
Part 3 by Stunaep
The Space Cowboys join the SOC while the Actium infiltrates the NTF on a top secret assignment. 13 action-packed missions, new music, cutscenes, and voice acting.
Part 4 by Stunaep
The NTF has gone one step too far. After the contestation of Alpha Centauri by rebel forces, Allied Command has pulled all ships from Vega and Aldebaran to conduct a massive strike at the NTF strongholds in Alpha Centauri. This will be the biggest strike since 2335. Meanwhile, another assignment is given for the Actium, one that will require going deep behind enemy lines.

Original staff of Lightning Marshal
Stunaep - Project Leader, Story Writer, FREDder, Animator
Ulundel - Co-Leader, FREDder, Renderer, Modeler
Knight Templar - FREDder
Stealth - Web Designer, FREDder
Black Wolf - Voice Actor, Story editor
vyper - Voice Actor, renderer
deep_eyes - Spell checker, Story editor, texturer
Delta_7890 - Story Editor
Wildfire - Renderer, FREDder
Thorn - Animator, Renderer
Zeronet - Beta Tester
Skippy - Beta Tester
Silver_Scythe - Modeller
Odyssey - Modeller
TrashMan - Modeller
Analazon - Modeller
Dylan Nagel (from SAVAGE) - Voice Actor
Jennifer Alyx (from SAVAGE) - Voice Actor
Meredith Purk (from SAVAGE) - Voice Actor
Philip J. Mather (from SAVAGE) - Voice Actor

Restoration Crew
Special thanks to fightermedic, Darkblade and biofaust, for the voice acting.
Also thanks to Rodo for the ship name textures.
There have been a number of people that worked on the restoration at various times, unfortunately I don't have a record of all of them.  This has been very much an FSCRP effort and has spanned several years.

Downloads
Moddb
http://www.moddb.com/groups/freespace-campaign-restoration-project-team/downloads/fscrp-the-lightning-marshal
Gamefront
http://www.gamefront.com/files/24344512/FSCRP_The_Lightning_Marshal.7z

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 06:50:51 pm by Macfie »
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline est1895

Re: (Release) - Lightning Marshal restored
Thanks to all the wonderful guys that reworked this classic campaign. :yes: :nod: :yes:

Well Done!!

Offline CT27

Looks great!  Thank you for all your hard work.

In the original 'complete' download for LM, there were two 'prequel' campaigns:  Regulus (which you say you have) and Operation:  Savior.  Is  "Savior" in there too?

Offline Macfie

No, operation savior was not a part of the original Lightning marshal.

The original restored Operation Savior campaign is located here, just modify the mod.ini to play with the 2014 media VPs

http://www.freespacemods.net/download.php?view.822
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline CT27

I think I see what you are saying, but just fyi:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=84092.msg1679684

In the download link in this thread's OP, they were all (Savior+ LM0-4) bundled together.

Offline Macfie

The original Lightning Marshal was released many years before Operation Savior and they were developed by different people.  There was no connection other than they were set in the beginning of the NTF rebellion.  fightermedic decided to add the campaign to his remake. 
The link I posted was the official FSCRP restoration which fightermedic modified as part of his remake.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 09:13:44 pm by Macfie »

Offline CT27

I'm playing Macfie's new version so far and I'm really liking the "normal" flight physics rather than the "special" kind LM had before.

Offline CT27

I ran into a minor problem with one of the final missions ("Cat and Mice"  LM3_12B.FS2)

In that mission I believe Sagitarius 1 from the previous mission is supposed to be there with you and you follow him through waypoints to find MacDerby and take out NTF wings along the way.  However, when I played it through the campaign, I was the only Allied ship in that mission.  Technically I was able to beat it by just going to each flickering red dot to try and find MacDerby but I don't think that's how the mission is supposed to go.

Any suggestions?  (FYI, for some reason the mission was fine when I looked at it through the techroom)

Offline Macfie

Isn't that a red alert mission?  If som did something happen to Sagitarius 1 in the previous mission?

Offline CT27

Yes, it was a "Red Alert" mission. 

To answer your other question, no, nothing happened to Sagitarius 1 in the previous mission (he did what he was supposed to:  jumped out and said you could follow him to track MacDerby or go Vega to save the Aquitane).  It's just that in the final mission I'm talking about, he wasn't there in the campaign playthrough and there was no dialogue therefore.  However, he was there when I played the mission in the techroom.

One more thing:  am I supposed to see both ending cinematics (MacDerby dying and Aquitane being rescued) or just the one based on the final mission I chose to take part in?  I saw both.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Is Sagitarius 1 supposed to be present at the start of the second mission, or does it jump in later? If the latter, could you try it again with the most recent Nightly Build?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline CT27

IIRC from the previous (fightermedic's) release of Lightning Marshall, Sagitarius 1 was supposed to be there in the beginning.  As soon as that mission starts (after the Red Alert Screen) he tells you to basically form up on him and follow him through the waypoints to try and find MacDerby.

Offline Macfie

Sagittarius 1 is not supposed to jump out.  I'm wondering if that is what is causing the problem.  I can't remember whether the red alert carry has to see the ship depart or whether it has to be there when the player departs. 

Offline CT27

I'm trying the campaign again with the latest nightly build AdmiralRalwood provided.  I'll let you guys know how things go when I get to this point again.

I just started it up and... what's up with simulated speech in the briefings? I'm pretty sure I've turned it off but for some reason it's still there. I'm not trying to be a whiny *****, but I really would prefer just reading over random Microsoft Mary.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Sagittarius 1 is not supposed to jump out.  I'm wondering if that is what is causing the problem.  I can't remember whether the red alert carry has to see the ship depart or whether it has to be there when the player departs.

IIRC ships that have departed are supposed to carry through to the next red-alert mission. The issue is that once they've departed they don't have their weapon loadout & subsystem damage recorded anymore meaning they'd (probably) revert to full health and default mission loadout in the 2nd mission.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Macfie

I just started it up and... what's up with simulated speech in the briefings? I'm pretty sure I've turned it off but for some reason it's still there. I'm not trying to be a whiny *****, but I really would prefer just reading over random Microsoft Mary.

That's the voice acting not simulated speech from the build, so you can't turn it off.

Offline CT27

A question about the final missions:

The end of mission 11 in LM3 gives you the choice on whether to go to 12A (save Aquitane) or 12B (Hunt MacDerby).   

After I go into one of the final mission choices, could I then quit the mission and use the Red Alert screen to try the other fork in the road?  Usually the Red Alert screen has a "Replay previous mission" button doesn't it?

Offline Macfie

Yes, you should be able to use the replay previous mission button and then when you replay mission 11 you can choose the other path.

Offline CT27

I played again on a recent nightly build. 

After I got the "follow Sagitarius 1 or jump to Vega" in the directives list I waited for a while and Sagitarius 1 didn't jump out, he just kept flying around so I jumped away from the node and went to mission 12B to try and hunt MacDerby.  Same thing this time:  no Sagitarius 1 or any dialogue in that mission.

12A seemed to play okay when I went back and played that course.

In both cases I got both ending cutscenes and then I got a blank Red Alert screen.  When I clicked next mission I was alone in space for a while then all of a sudden I got the "debriefing" screen that says thanks for completing LM3.