Author Topic: FS RTS Mod  (Read 57704 times)

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
WoooW! I played the few first releases of this mod, and it was already awesome at that time. Only getting it better? Keep up man!
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

So when are we going to see a public release of something? ;7

Actually a round of bughunting should be enough to get it into a releasable state that can be at least called alpha version, maybe even beta...

But the release would still be an underwhelming experience: I suck at making missions and there is nothing to release along with it that shows what it can do and what kind of fun gameplay is possible with it. Currently it is just a complicated script with a long pdf manual on how to use it. Dropping a bunch of caps into a mission is not exactly more fun even if you can control them RTS style...
Here goes scripting and copy paste coding
Freespace RTS Mod
Checkpoint/Shipsaveload script

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
But the release would still be an underwhelming experience: I suck at making missions and there is nothing to release along with it that shows what it can do and what kind of fun gameplay is possible with it. Currently it is just a complicated script with a long pdf manual on how to use it. Dropping a bunch of caps into a mission is not exactly more fun even if you can control them RTS style...
If you released with no missions at all, I can virtually guarantee you that it would still not be an underwhelming experience.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You should get the script out in public so people can design with it!

Another 6 months but this time with some slightly different news:
1. A proper scripted capship ai is just too complicated. For now I won't add anything beyond what is already there and working (simple approach target, rotate to bring most firepower to bear, prevent friendly fire)
2. I'm not motivated to figure out a way to separate the capship ai from the remaining stuff
3. The camera system got another rework
4. I'm currently fixing whatever bugs I can find
5. Expect a release of the mod/scripts within the next few days!

There won't be any sample mission but a short manual covering (hopefully) all of the functionality so anyone can FRED missions for it. I plan to fix whatever bugs are found and if needed add smaller features (mostly for controlling stuff like the interface).
Freespace RTS Mod

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Expect a release of the mod/scripts within the next few days!
:O

I am really looking forward to taking a look at this.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Expect a release of the mod/scripts within the next few days!
:O

I am really looking forward to taking a look at this.
Ditto.

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
    • Steam
If that will be easy enough to pick up and use ill might even get fired up to make some missions ! :o

I got this idea for a simple defense mission that uses the most important functions. So anyone who wants to use the RTS scripts has at least some examples of how to do it. I'm trying to get it done till the weekend and if not release without the mission. Testing this mission will also help me to figure out if there are any more obvious bugs that I can't find with my current test mission.
Freespace RTS Mod

Well, I said something about this weekend so here it is:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/0gafg0ohlvyh9a5/RTS_mod_beta.zip
No mission included yet cause I'm really bad and slow at doing things in fred. I tested it a lot but I'm sure there are bugs left for someone else to find :P
To use it drop the mod folder in your FS directory, create a new mission with some ships in it and add an event in fred with this sexp: script-eval "RTS_set('on')". Start the mission and click the middle mouse button to enable the mod. Anything should be covered in the readme (I hope).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 05:47:16 pm by Admiral MS »
Freespace RTS Mod

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
    • Steam
Ok, downloaded, and will dig into this later <3

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
    • Steam
I've FREDED a mission using the RTS mod.

Just paste it in the missions folder and have some fun (Admiral, you can use it and pack it inside your upload if you want)

Not much of a wow on it, just a simple scenario to show it working.

EDIT: seems that rotating the camera with Shift key, is way over sensitive.

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 12:11:40 pm by TheHound »

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Well, I said something about this weekend so here it is:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/lf5zncva3vhv27k/RTS_mod_beta.zip
No mission included yet cause I'm really bad and slow at doing things in fred. I tested it a lot but I'm sure there are bugs left for someone else to find :P
To use it drop the mod folder in your FS directory, create a new mission with some ships in it and add an event in fred with this sexp: script-eval "RTS_set('on')". Start the mission and click the middle mouse button to enable the mod. Anything should be covered in the readme (I hope).

Awesome! So glad to see this officially released. Downloading now!

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
    • Steam
https://gyazo.com/4f89a8ae23a4772765952d8a12a9624f

Im not quite sure why im getting this error, could you check this script please ? Its during my test mission (no idea whats causing it.)

and after testing, i cannot issue "special commands (ALT+Right mouse)", since it also causes a crash.

https://gyazo.com/333d7cdb485d546bd50cf589b5ba42bf

tried using special commands fighter to capship, both friendly and enemy. group of fighters and single one. it simply doesn't work any way.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 01:41:42 pm by TheHound »

First: Thanks for creating the mission, I will check it tomorrow.

https://gyazo.com/4f89a8ae23a4772765952d8a12a9624f

Im not quite sure why im getting this error, could you check this script please ? Its during my test mission (no idea whats causing it.)

and after testing, i cannot issue "special commands (ALT+Right mouse)", since it also causes a crash.

https://gyazo.com/333d7cdb485d546bd50cf589b5ba42bf

tried using special commands fighter to capship, both friendly and enemy. group of fighters and single one. it simply doesn't work any way.
Not sure about the first one. It somehow fails while trying to process a capship vs capship attack order. This can be an order given by the player or given as a sexp in FRED.

The second error: I don't know how this one slipped in since I should have seen it during testing  :sigh:

Anyway, I uploaded a new version that hopefully fixes the MiscImg bug and adds two lines in the config file to change the camera rotation and zoom speed.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 08:54:35 am by Admiral MS »
Freespace RTS Mod

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
    • Steam
MS, thank you for the update. LMB+ALT now works almost flawlessly.

Now then, a question - how does the subsystem list works? I doesn't list all the subsystems and turrets, but seems to take random 4 turrets and shows them.

If possible, that would be awesome if you could order your fighters to order disable specific turrets, which i believe was intended mechanic?

The other bug. looks like this: Shivan ships have Waypoints set up in their orders, and once waypoint is completed they are to warp out.

Allied ships have no orders. Fighters are ordered t guard capships.

When error happens, ALL capships are ordered by me to attack shivan warships. One ship is already dead due to effective beam fire.
Would it be possibl that the attack-move script tries to apply its functions on a dead warship, and therefore, creating a bug ? That would be fitting since 2 crusiers attack a shivan ship, one is killed. Error says excepted 2, found 1.

It selects the 4 turrets that are closest to your mouse position. So in case you see a big beam firing you can LMB+ALT at where it comes from and the turret should appear in the list. Clicking on the entry creates a destroy (= disable) subsystem (or turret) order for the selected ships.

The other error is a vector-math function only getting one input vector instead of the required two. There is a new version that fixes a typo which may be causin the error.
In general I'm pretty sure I got checks everywhere to prevent dead ships from being used in functions. Also the only capship relevant stuff that happens without orders is a friendly fire prevention.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 05:46:55 pm by Admiral MS »
Freespace RTS Mod

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
    • Steam
Alright Admiral MS, thank you for your new update, ill test it later.

That functionality makes sense, too.
That wraps up all the errors I have encountered for now. I'll keep you updated on the situation, as I intend to make a campaign using the RTS system. It is sure to have some extensive testing under many conditions :)

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
    • Steam
MS, when I order a capship to attack another capship:

https://gyazo.com/ae56879925ff81babac7f860b6dcb791

I can still control Bastion, even if used the uaff command.

https://gyazo.com/b212eec093d007827058a15d144baafa

So here is another version that should really fix the error: http://www.mediafire.com/download/0gafg0ohlvyh9a5/RTS_mod_beta.zip

The uaff function works fine for me unless used at the moment of RTS mode activation. The script actually needs 1 or 2 frames to initialize itself. Anything besides on/off and plm may not work properly during this phase as the required arrays (which are different for each mission) haven't been created.
Freespace RTS Mod