Author Topic: What Exactly Did a Few of You Chaps Do For BSG: Online?  (Read 7513 times)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
What Exactly Did a Few of You Chaps Do For BSG: Online?
Pretty much what the title says. I noted that a few of you mentioned a while back that you did work for BSG: Online. Certainly, that work can't be released for any FS project (or any other project for that matter), but I'm quite curious what ships you produced for the game in question. If possible, pictures would be appreciated.

:)
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline newman

Re: What Exactly Did a Few of You Chaps Do For BSG: Online?
LtCannonfodder did the Colonial One, Gemenon Traveler and the Flattop.
DaBrain did the Gemenon Freighter, Cylon freighter (also designed it) and the Cloud 9.
I did the Prometheus, Celestra, Botanical Cruiser, Astral Queen, Colonial refinery ship (Daru Mozu type), Ringship and also the Cylon refinery ship (you're unlikely to encounter that one unless you're playing the Cylon side). I'm particularly happy about the Cylon refinery ship because I also designed her and she got official approval - so she's sort of semi-canon now.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Is there any chance that you might throw up a gallery here, or would that be a violation of contract?
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline newman

Is there any chance that you might throw up a gallery here, or would that be a violation of contract?

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure - but since the game is out I'm going to assume that a few renders of the ships in it won't present a problem. The people at Bigpoint we had direct contact with were a reasonable bunch so I doubt they'd mind. Don't have any pics on me atm since I'm at work. I might whip some up later.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I can't see it being anything but good advertising for the Bigpoint game. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline newman

Ok, I promised pics - here are wip shots of all the ships I've done for BGO. Haven't had time for new fancy renders so I just uploaded old wip shots. I'd like to point out that being a browser based mmo, BGO has a lot stricter art standards than Diaspora can afford - these models and textures are all lower on polycount/texture res than you're used to seeing on our boards. Frankly for me that doesn't mean that the work was bad in any way - personally I'm proud of the amount of detail we were able to squeeze into those art specs. Another thing to consider is that the textures you see here were further downsampled for the game itself. Like I said, a browser based mmo that wants a very large audience needs to be careful with the hardware requirements :)

Prometheus:

Celestra:

Ringship / Zephyr:

Colonial Refinery Ship / Daru Mozu:

Astral Queen:

And finally, the Cylon Refinery Ship which I also designed. I nicknamed her the Narwhal. The pylons are supposed to be able to bend/retract/expand to allow latching on to tylium rocks and even use them as refueling probes. She has a small hangar situated at the back of the front section which can house a few raiders/heavy raiders. I imagined the ship as able to operate independently (like a raider) or the controls can be manually overridden as needed. I'd like to do the ultimate high poly version at some point, and also bring it into Diaspora.

Hope you folks like her. Also, before anyone asks, we can't use any of these models directly in Diaspora. That doesn't mean we won't do Diaspora versions eventually but we will have to build those separately - these ships belong to BGO. There, I showed mine, now it's up to LtCannonfodder and DaBrain to decide if they want to show off theirs :)

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
Awesome work on the Cylon stuff, in fact it reminds me of Icecrown citadel from WoW.
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Many thanks, Newman, for answering a bit of my curiosity. Cheers, good Sir.

:)

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline newman

No problem. Seems I forgot the botanical cruiser, but you get the idea. Don't have any renders of that on me at the moment :)

Awesome work on the Cylon stuff, in fact it reminds me of Icecrown citadel from WoW.

Glad you like it. I can honestly say that is not where the inspiration came from, though - as I never played WoW and never saw the citadel you mention. But it's pretty much impossible to design anything that won't remind someone of something so as long as people generally like it I'm happy :)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 03:36:07 am by newman »

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
Quote from: newman
Glad you like it. I can honestly say that is not where the inspiration came from, though - as I never played WoW and never saw the citadel you mention. But it's pretty much impossible to design anything that won't remind someone of something so as long as people generally like it I'm happy :)

Wowpedia to the Rescue: http://www.wowpedia.org/File:ICC_Panorama_%28exterior%29.jpg

It's got spikes, lots of 'em.
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Gorgeous work gents =)