Author Topic: Vasuda Prime Cutscene: That wasn't there before.  (Read 5129 times)

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Vasuda Prime Cutscene: That wasn't there before.
I originally played through FreeSpace 1 on a basic retail install straight from GOG.

Recently I had a chance to compare the FSPort version of FreeSpace 1 to the retail version. There's a certain major change.

In FSPort, "Exodus" starts with a cutscene that wasn't there before, showing the Lucifer attacking Vasuda Prime. Don't get me wrong, it's a cool cutscene that fits well with the story, but why is HLP modifying Volition's canon campaign? On what authority can we insert that cutscene, in the process making assumptions about the structure of Vasudan cities and the functionality of certain types of freighters?

My main questions are:

1. Who made the cutscene?
2. Was it based on a Volition script? Did :v: originally plan to include a cutscene there, only to scrap it do to time constraints?
3. What was the rationale behind adding it to FS1?
4. Lastly, where in the files IS the cutscene? I can't find it in Odeon.VP

Again, it's a very well-made cutscene, it fits the plot well, and if I hadn't played retail FS1 before I wouldn't have known the difference. I'm simply curious about the story behind it. Adding cutscenes to the retail campaigns seems a little unusual for both FSPort and HLP as a whole.
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Re: Vasuda Prime Cutscene: That wasn't there before.
Regarding that, It was a scene Volition planned but ran out of funds/time to make. Same with the Shivan attack on the Arcadia where the Taranis was taken after its capture. Thought that one didn't make it to FSPort. (Shame, it was like the second time we would get to see "actual" Shivans up close (cutting into the hull.)

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Regarding that, It was a scene Volition planned but ran out of funds/time to make. Same with the Shivan attack on the Arcadia where the Taranis was taken after its capture. Thought that one didn't make it to FSPort. (Shame, it was like the second time we would get to see "actual" Shivans up close (cutting into the hull.)

Ok, so it WAS based on a Volition script. Interesting.

I recall reading about the Taranis scene in the story bible (lots of errors in that thing). I think it would have been harder to fan-make than the Vasuda Prime one because it involves close-ups of humans and human voices; the Vasuda Prime one was just ships.
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline An4ximandros

Oh god of Ohio State, I just got the ref. bible. :D

Quote from: Vasudan Dignitary
Yes perhaps one day in the future your people will be willing to accept the Vasudan culture with a mind of understanding instead of hatred.
Then perhaps you may be able to learn from us.  We will do our best tolerate our differences until you can grow to accept our people.
:headz: :headz: :headz:

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It was made by IcyJones (no longer active?) and the FSPort team decided at the time that it was best tacked onto the Ancients 4 cutscene. So, in odeon.vp, open ancients4.ogg and the scene will be at the end.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Ok, So...

1. IceyJones made the cutscene
2. It IS based on a scrapped Volition script (I feel better about it now)
3. It was included by the FSPort team because it was based on Volition material.
4. It's not its own cutscene; it's at the end of Ancients 4.

Thanks guys!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
To address another point, a few of the major visual elements in the cutscene, specifically the Scorpions pouring out of the Lucifer's hangar and the Vasudan city getting beamed, were taken from a retail command briefing animation (or animations).

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
To address another point, a few of the major visual elements in the cutscene, specifically the Scorpions pouring out of the Lucifer's hangar and the Vasudan city getting beamed, were taken from a retail command briefing animation (or animations).

...Good point- I can see the resemblance now.

Offline HVD

I didn't seem to get any new cutscene after Ancients 4 when I played through the most recent version just now. I got the standard Ancients 4 monologue followed by the command briefing. I checked the new high-res version of Ancients 4 in the thread linked from the release post above, and that doesn't have anything new tacked on. Nothing's added in odeon_fs1.vp either.

The command briefing did have a new snazzier animation covering the destruction and evacuation of Vasuda, is that what you guys are referring to? I assume that's included in the high-res CB pack

EDIT: strange. This Lets Play has it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysrEzKPLe1U and this one doesn't http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeYNrEboBHk

The one that includes it seems to be using the original resolution cutscenes much like I am, and yet I don't seem to have the added Vasuda segment
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 03:02:22 pm by HVD »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Were you using the FSPort MVPs?

Offline An4ximandros

I just realized the whole animation is... very wrong.
Quote from: FS Reference Bible
The planet is nearly completely covered by wind-blown deserts and barren, rocky terrain.  As a result, Vasudans live mostly in domed, sheltered, or underground cities.
Well that stinks.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I think the animation's fine. We see a bunch of desolate terrain and a compact city which certainly seems to qualify as 'sheltered'.

Offline HVD

Were you using the FSPort MVPs?

Yeah. It's highlighted in wxLauncher and my command line params are -mod fsport-mediavps,fsport,mediavps_3612 -nomotiondebris
-missile_lighting -3dshockwave -post_process -soft_particles -fxaa -dualscanlines -targetinfo -rearm_timer
-ballistic_gauge -3dwarp -warp_flash -snd_preload -ambient_factor 5 -spec_exp 15 -spec_point 1.2 -spec_static 1.7
-spec_tube 1.5 -ogl_spec 50

my odeon_fs1.vp has the original cutscene, my mv_fsport.vp doesn't contain any new movies.  I'm not using the remastered cutscenes, but the Ancients 4 I downloaded form this thread (http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=68161.0) doesn't have the new segment on the end anyway

Offline HVD

I did some searching around the forum. If I go to this thread (http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=70941.0) for the FSPort 3.2 release and follow the link labelled "movies package" I get an odeon_fs1.vp with what looks like the upgraded cutscenes, and the ancients4.ogg in that vp does indeed have the added scenes.

If I download the link labelled "Odeon" from the 3.4 release thread (http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=84358.0) I get an odeon_fs1.vp with all the original cutscenes in it.

The 3.4 thread has a note saying that the file at that link has the original movies and anyone wanting to get the remastered movies should go to this thread: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=68161.0 but that thread doesn't seem to have any link to a vp file, just the individual movie files, and the ancients4.ogg linked from there doesn't have the Vasuda Prime scene

Is the odeon_fs1 with the upgraded cutscenes from the 3.2 thread OK to use with 3.4?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
It'd probably be safe if you extracted ancients4.ogg from the 3.2 odeon_fs1.vp and put it in fsport-mediavps/data/movies.  That should just replace that one cutscene without affecting anything else.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...