Author Topic: 3.6.9 Release Candidate 5  (Read 42668 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
3.6.9 Release Candidate 5
http://fs2source.warpcore.org/exes/3.6.9-RC5.rar

Blah, blah, blah.  Plus voice synthesis and recognition.

mv_alphapatch.rar
mv_advalphapatch.rar

EDIT(taylor): Build updated with both Goober's and my changes.  Should have all of my fixes plus speech and voice recognition.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 12:18:05 am by taylor »

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Re: 3.6.9 Release Candidate 5
BASTARD!!  I just hit the server to upload mine, and what do I find, IT'S ALREADY THERE!!.  :p
I knew I should have waited to go to the bathroom.  ;)

Oh well, I'll just put it in the second post, and you can move/replace it if you want. :D  It's current CVS, and has speech, but not voice.  But it has code which isn't in CVS yet, and a new Launcher, so I don't want to start a new topic for it.

New changes to build and Launcher, it requires OpenAL 1.1 now, and will tell you if you don't have it.  Also, some changes to application window creation, modification (ie, going fullscreen/mimized), and destruction, mainly for OpenGL.  Plus some movie fixes that will hopefully get AVI movies working in OpenGL, even fullscreen, without it going bonkers.  Oh, and it has the animated glowmap endless-loop/div-by-0 fix too, which isn't in CVS for another few minutes.  Plus the optimizations are a bit better so hopefully the release builds will be faster/smaller, but still not have the Y-bug.

(EDIT: Original RC5 build in first-post updated with same changes from both builds)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 12:16:20 am by taylor »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:lol:

Well, people have been clamoring for voice recognition for a while. :D Can you rebuild with all voice stuff activated (FS2_SPEECH, FS2_VOICER) and call it 5.2?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Rebuilding now.  I'll just replace your original RC5 file (renaming it to RC5.0 so that it's saved) and remove my RC5.1, since it won't really be needed anymore.

EDIT: Done!  :D
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 12:19:29 am by taylor »

Offline neoterran

this looks like a build worth moving to....  :nod:
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Hey, about missions in simulator:

+ There are no "holes" in played mission list anymore.

+ Ctrl+Shif+S does work in mission list (no need for -allslev anymore).

GREAT WORK  :yes:
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Some ships are FUBARed.

Most animated glowmaps are going much too fast, generating a "flickering" effect that is not likely a feature. The ships in which this is most apparent are:

-Anuket
-Nephilim
-Nahema
-Seraphim
-Azrael
-Mephisto
-Asmodeus
-Lilith/Cain
-Rakshasa
-Demon
-Ravana
-Trident
-Moloch
-Sathanas
-SpaceHunk
-CommNode

For some reason, Shivan Fighters seem to have more normal speed animated glows. Which leads me to believe that in this build, any glowmap is repeated inside a certain, invariable timeframe. This probably leads "shorter" glows, those with less frames, to appear as super-fast.

Does this has something to do with some added code that makes the Cloaking/Decloaking Pegasus glowmaps work? Which, I'm not sure that they work either, but I haven't seen them before so I don't know what they are supposed to be like... But the Shivan glows go through WAY too fast in this build.

RC4 plays them properly.

Additionally, there WAS a glitch that for some reason made more than half of the Setekh and Hatshepsut disappear (specifically, the parts where there were glowmaps), but that disappeared when I restarted the game... and now they show themselves properly. :confused:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Some ships are FUBARed.

Most animated glowmaps are going much too fast, generating a "flickering" effect that is not likely a feature.

I think your answer is here (FYI thread)

It seems all media vp animations must be fixed as they were tuned with a buggy playing code.
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
So... until the animations are redone, what point is it putting this new fix into builds?  :wtf:

I'll not be able to use that build anyway because the animations are too fast. And I bet quite a few others will also keep to RC4/other build in which the animations work... And while this RC5 build can't be used, all its other advantages are also unavailable to users.

So, are you going to hold the official 3.6.9 release build until official, fixed 3.6.9 mediavp's? Or is there going to be another effects patch for 3.6.8zeta VP's?
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Got the following on TSM-104.fs2. Crashed _r but allowed continuation on _d

Code: [Select]
Warning: Couldn't fix up turret indices in spline path

Model: cruiser01x.pof
Path: $path02
Vertex: 1
Turret model id:13

This probably means that the turret was not specified in the ship table(s).
File:C:\temp\fs2_open_3_6_9.rc5\code\ship\Ship.cpp
Line: 8473
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
    parse_create_object_sub()    parse_create_object()    mission_did_ship_arrive()    mission_maybe_make_ship_arrive()    mission_eval_arrivals()    mission_parse_eval_stuff()    game_simulation_frame()    game_frame()    game_do_frame()    game_do_state()    gameseq_process_events()    game_main()    WinMain()    WinMainCRTStartup()    kernel32.dll 7c816f97()

Vertex: 2

[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
    parse_create_object_sub()    parse_create_object()    mission_did_ship_arrive()    mission_maybe_make_ship_arrive()    mission_eval_arrivals()    mission_parse_eval_stuff()    game_simulation_frame()    game_frame()    game_do_frame()    game_do_state()    gameseq_process_events()    game_main()    WinMain()    WinMainCRTStartup()    kernel32.dll 7c816f97()

Vertex: 3

Call stack:

While it allowed continuation on the debug build, graphical corruption akin to the opengl -env corruption occcured (yes, I have one of _those_ ATI cards, and yes I'm running -disable_fbo) save that it's a reflective corruption (as in, the corrupted spots react to explosions/etc just like an -env mapped ship) as well as random flashes into white occuring across bizare segments of the screen. Further corruption carries on into the next TSM (TSM-105.fs2).

Constant attempts to reload TSM-104 in _r met with failure, even after successfully passing it under _d, but I can load _r at TSM-105.fs2 and so far is playing just fine. (now up to The Great Hunt with no other issues.)

However, I did notice this in FS.LOG and normally would think nothing of it, except I made sure I had the latest OpenAL installed.
Code: [Select]
Initializing OpenAL...
  Using 'SB Audigy 2 Audio [B000]' as OpenAL sound device...
  OpenAL Vendor     : Creative Labs Inc.
  OpenAL Renderer   : SB Audigy 2 Audio [B000]
  OpenAL Version    : OpenAL version 1.0
----------and then further into the file:----------
SOUND: C:\temp\fs2_open_3_6_9.rc5\code\sound\audiostr-openal.cpp:1323 - OpenAL error = 'Invalid operation attempted.'
SOUND: C:\temp\fs2_open_3_6_9.rc5\code\Sound\ds.cpp:3631 - OpenAL error = 'Invalid operation attempted.' (this one exists 3 times)
SOUND: C:\temp\fs2_open_3_6_9.rc5\code\sound\audiostr-openal.cpp:1137 - OpenAL error = 'Invalid operation attempted.'
I even uninstalled my slipstreamed drivers for a fresh install of the regular Creative drivers and OpenAL 1.9.1 package (which is 1.1). Theoretically, that should be no different from my slipstreamed drivers as I updated the OpenAL32.dll and wrap_oal.dll in the driver package with the ones from the OpenAL package. (The fs.log is from loading TSM-104)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 07:17:18 am by Zacam »
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
So... until the animations are redone, what point is it putting this new fix into builds?  :wtf:

Because if we don't put it in the builds no bugger ever bothers to change things.

Look at all the complaints we're getting about graphics files with bad alpha channels even though Taylor had spent months telling people to use the alpha correctly.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Valid point. I stand corrected.  ;)

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
With this and the two previous RCs, the briefing music will run normally for a random amount of time, and then sort of stutter, lag the game up for a few seconds, and then dissappear. The game is unaffected, and ingame music doesn't seem to be affected thus far, it's more of an annoyance than a serious glitch, but any chance anybody'd have a solution?

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
When I use this build my shields will not recharge at all, the only way to restore shields is to call in a support ship. This doesn't happen with RC4.

Same here. Increasing the shield energy had no effect at all although the energy allocation system itself still works.

Apparently it's broken in CVS "fs2_open_r-P420060708" too.

I've just MANTISed it as bug 0000980.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 09:26:30 am by Chris B. Yond »

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
hi,
and the bug, that the desktop use the gama setting of FS2 after ending, is back too.

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.
attention: this english is dangerours and terrible, runaway so fast you can!

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Is it just me, or does a Corvette - or vessel of comparable size - appear when not fully through its subspace portal, as in the back-end will appear when it isn't actually out of the portal yet?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
and the bug, that the desktop use the gama setting of FS2 after ending, is back too.
Really?  I didn't remove that, but I did change the order it's reset in when you exit the game.  I'll try to tweak that up and get it working properly again for the next build.

Is it just me, or does a Corvette - or vessel of comparable size - appear when not fully through its subspace portal, as in the back-end will appear when it isn't actually out of the portal yet?
I noticed that too yesterday.  Not sure why it's doing that, or when it started.  I don't remember it being that obvious for a while though.

With this and the two previous RCs, the briefing music will run normally for a random amount of time, and then sort of stutter, lag the game up for a few seconds, and then dissappear. The game is unaffected, and ingame music doesn't seem to be affected thus far, it's more of an annoyance than a serious glitch, but any chance anybody'd have a solution?
There is already a Mantis bug about this.  The problem is that I can't recreate it and I can't find a reason why it happens.

Regarding the OpenAL error messages, just know that I have an absolutely insane amount of error checking in there.  To say I went overboard with that is a vast understatement.  There are going to be warning/error messages for just about everybody but 90% of them will be completely harmless.  The audiostr-openal.cpp errors that you saw were related to some strange sound context issue (what may be causing the briefing voice thing) but I haven't been able to fix it yet for some reason.

As far as the too-fast glowmaps go, like karajorma said, if we don't do it now then they will be broken indeffinitely.  Remember that we are about ready to release 3.6.9 officially so if we don't go ahead and fix this now in code then the data can't change or it's still wrong.  I am working on all fixed/tweaked glowmaps and will post them when I'm done (probably tomorrow).

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
I noticed that too yesterday.  Not sure why it's doing that, or when it started.  I don't remember it being that obvious for a while though.

Well I do remember it being so obvious for ages (I think for ever). I have just tested 20060323 and it's the same. I've also tried a build from january and other from february but it crashes I suppose because of initial stuff in turrets.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
I haven't noticed the tail end of ships being visable while warping in until RC5. Granted, I started with 3.6.7 and kept it until RC1 was released and I haven't tested any of the CVS builds.

And yes, you can target nodes in this build since RC4.

I am also having the no shields regenerate problem as well.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 04:18:20 pm by Zacam »
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys