Author Topic: Test Build (Windows): 14 Dec 2009 - Based on Revision 5712 (Actually 5716)  (Read 3072 times)

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Test Build (Windows): 14 Dec 2009 - Based on Revision 5712 (Actually 5716)
Windows Test Build based on Trunk 5712 for Dec 13, 2009

This now equals 5716 Trunk with the exception of the addition of Warnings Resolution, PNG Support and Expanded Brief Colors.

z-WIN-20091213_r5712-INF-SSE.7z]
MD5Sum: C67DC4191B749DB0CE9DB55B4214B370

z-WIN-20091213_r5712-INF-SSE2.7z
MD5Sum: 9F67D078B59B76E703B801C27DC7A997

The following patches were applied to this Test Build. They were applied and are dependent on being applied in the following order:
(Right-Click and select "Save As")

#1 5712-Warnings.patch
      Resolves under MSVC 2008 compiler Warnings for the /code/ directory. This requires the most testing under other platforms to make sure this introduces no breaks in compiling.

#2 5712-PostProcessing.patch
      As found in Antipodes Build 4, provided for testing with other platforms prior to it's inclusion into Trunk or to resolve issues under other platforms.

#3 5712-PNG-Full.patch
      Adds .PNG file support. Now modified for generating no warnings under MSVC 2008. Also needs serious testing in other platforms, specifically operational testing for EFF support.

#4 5712-Brief_Text_Crayola.patch
      This one is entirely optional and is related to this post: Re: Briefing text coloring bug fix
      It does not contain pedros changes, it just merely adds more color string cases to the Briefing texts, and removes the Int3() crash for an unknown value. It will give a warning pop-up as well as an entry in the debug log for any undeclared or unused '$c' value being used.

Q&A:
Q: Why are there only INF builds?
A: To involve more testing of the stability for the INF code and to address any potential problems prior to it become the default. The only way that this becomes possible is if it's the only type available. However, if you are a Mod Founder or Person of Intrest for a mod and _must_ have a non-INF build, PM me.

Q: Why only SSE/SSE2, why no standard builds?
A: See above for the INF explanation. More testing is required to determine the viability of making atleast SSE the new "Default" Standard build and as such, all the testing as possible is necessary. Again, PM me if you absolutely must have an non-SSE build.

Q: Why are project files for other solutions sporadically in these patches?
A: While I can extrapolate what and how to add the information (for example: PNG Support), it would only be guess work. I need people who are proficient in those other platforms that know best how to translate the MSVC 2008 additions to the other solutions to provide what works best, rather than introduce the frustration of introducing flaws to the compiling process. As there will be frustrations in either case, I opted for the lesser evil. I am available for absolutely any questions or assistance for adding the necessary information to other platform compilers to the best of my ability, either via PM or IRC.

Q: I'd love to test the INF builds, but I heard something about Pilot files, and I don't want to loose my progress/start over! -or-
Q: I already have pilots, but I don't see them when I launch an Inferno build!
A: Okay, not exactly phrased as a question, but you get the idea. And there is a theoretical work around for this. If you have never used an INF build before, then do the following:
      1: Navigate/browse to your Freespace2\Data\Players folder. Mine is at: C:\Games\FreeSpace2\data\players
      2: Choose either the Single or Multi folder/dir and open it. I'm going to start with single.
      3: If it does not already exist, create a new folder/dir called "inferno" (without the quotes)
      4: Copy and past from the "players\single\" folder/dir to the "players\single\inferno" folder/dir the pilot .pl2 and .cs2 files. Mine are "Zacam.FreeSpace2.cs2" and "Zacam.pl2"
      5: Repeat 3 & 4 for the "players\multi" folder.

When you launch the game, those player files should now present themselves. BUT. _DO_ _NOT_ reverse the process if you decide to switch back to a non-INF build, it _WILL NOT WORK_. Any progress made or changes done to an INF pilot are not portable to a non-INF build.

I'll post other QAs as they occur.

Also: For testing with this build or in case folks don't already have them:
MediaVP SVN Unified Shaders with Hery's Post Processing shaders and default TBL.

All *.sdr files go in to either Freespace2\Data\Effects or Freespace2\Mediavps\Data\Effects
TBL goes in either Freespace2\Data\Tables or Freespace2\MediaVPs\Data\Tables
(or whatever your path setup is, you could even multi-mod if you want)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 01:21:21 am by Zacam »
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Re: Test Build (Windows): 14 Dec 2009 - Based on Revision 5712 (Actually 5716)
These shaders do not work on my Radeon 4870. I'm getting invisble ships were only glows are seen. It's a freakshow. :p

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Re: Test Build (Windows): 14 Dec 2009 - Based on Revision 5712 (Actually 5716)
These shaders do not work on my Radeon 4870. I'm getting invisble ships were only glows are seen. It's a freakshow. :p

Interesting. That's the second time I've heard this. Thank you, and you've just become my #1 guinea pig tester.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys