Author Topic: Deferred Lighting Open Beta 6 (17/11/12)  (Read 45045 times)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Re: Deferred Lighting Open Beta 5 (30/07/12)
Nah, all-table is good, forget the pof edits. We don't want to have to maintain two ways of doing the exact same thing now do we.

Also, I don't think you understood Vala's idea. He isn't going to make us list all the ships in glowpoint.tbl, but select the glowpoint type with a table entry in ships.tbl, then define that type in glowpoint.tbl.

Vala, we should probably discuss it on IRC further before you lay down the final implementation, to make sure all parties involved are cool with it.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 05:23:10 am by MatthTheGeek »
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I don't like the all table idea. I also don't like having yet another field in Ships.tbl, while we have everything already in place for managing glowpoint types from the POF. All table is more trouble than it's worth, though it might be fine as an override, should anyone need this. Also, if you've got a lot of types and a lot of glowpoint banks, this would clutter up ships.tbl way too much.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Speak for yourself. Personally, I think that doing as many things as possible in a table is preferable to model edits, since model format changes are more of a nightmare than table changes.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
The thing is, we're not changing model format this time. Glowpoint type is already in, and can be set to whatever value you wish. Only 0 and 1 actually do something now, but with glowpoints.tbl, this could change. Since the value is there, FSO could simply read it and make the glowpoint bank behave accordingly. This should be simpler than messing around with ships.tbl.
BTW, one more thing. What's the deal with type 1 glowpoints? I could never quite figure out how exactly they work.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Could you just, please, listen to the advice from the very people who are actually familiar with the code ? I do not think you are more qualified than they are for this kind of matters.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
The thing is, we're not changing model format this time. Glowpoint type is already in, and can be set to whatever value you wish. Only 0 and 1 actually do something now, but with glowpoints.tbl, this could change. Since the value is there, FSO could simply read it and make the glowpoint bank behave accordingly. This should be simpler than messing around with ships.tbl.
BTW, one more thing. What's the deal with type 1 glowpoints? I could never quite figure out how exactly they work.

What is the advantage of specifying the glowpoint type on the model itself vs. in a .tbl?
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The way I see it, specifying it in a table is preferable since it allows different light configurations for different ships using the same base model (Actually, I would prefer glowpoint banks to be completely specifiable in the ships.tbl, since editing GP settings in PCS2 is a royal pain in the arse for complex setups).

It's just a general preference, really. I would prefer for model files to be _only_ model geometry definitions, and using the tbl to specify all the other things; the way FSO splits ship definitions between data in the model and data in the tbl is a bit awkward, really.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
POFs are not modular, Tables are. Bam. Done.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I've done a lot of glowpoints and I can tell you that putting them into the table would be really, really annoying. You wouldn't be able to manually fine-tune it's position and radius, you'd have to make do with a subsystem dummy to get it right. And even then, you'd have to guess the normal. I already have this problem with maneuvering thrusters and trails (especially the former). If glowpoints were tabled, I couldn't drag them around, adjust radius with the mousewheel and roughly imagine how the ship's going to look with them (if you didn't know that's possible, try it. Just hold ctrl in PCS2 and have fun with pinpoint positioning). Unless Spicious links TBL editing to PCS2, I'm against moving anything to the table. I most likely wouldn't have had patience to do things like intrasystem gate from WiH or any kind of "running" runway lights if it weren't for PCS2 making it easy to copy glowpoints and move them around.

And as I mentioned, the entire functionality required for this is already sitting there in the model format, almost completely unused. I don't believe it's harder to read a single number from a POF file than to write an entirely new Ships.tbl setting. And who would want multiple glowpoint setups with a single model? These are usually made to precisely fit with a model geometry and textures. I don't see any reason to change lights between mods.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I've done a lot of glowpoints and I can tell you that putting them into the table would be really, really annoying. You wouldn't be able to manually fine-tune it's position and radius, you'd have to make do with a subsystem dummy to get it right. And even then, you'd have to guess the normal.

What do you mean "Guess the normal?" 3D Max has the ability to tell you what the angle of the centerpoint of the object/dummy or whatever. I'm very certain Blender is capable of this, too.

Also, PCS2 allows you to type in the XYZ coordinates of glowpoints and thrusters, am I right? What's wrong with writing down the coordinates of your dummy object in 3DS Max/Blender/whatever and then typing them in PCS2?
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
So Dragon is saying he prefers WYSIWYG and everyone else wants to edit their HTML in Notepad?  Why not link PCS2 and table editing, then?

What do you mean "Guess the normal?" 3D Max has the ability to tell you what the angle of the centerpoint of the object/dummy or whatever. I'm very certain Blender is capable of this, too.

Also, PCS2 allows you to type in the XYZ coordinates of glowpoints and thrusters, am I right? What's wrong with writing down the coordinates of your dummy object in 3DS Max/Blender/whatever and then typing them in PCS2?

From an outsider's perspective, that just sounds like 300% extra effort and so much more of a PITA than click and drag.

Dragon, can you give a detailed step-by-step walkthrough of what you would have to do to glowpoint / change the glowpoints on a model with the way you want things done, and then the way they want it done?  Maybe then a solution will be brought forward that everyone will find livable.

Offline Valathil

• ...And I would have had a custom title if it wasn't for you meddling kids!
  • Custom Title? Wizards need no Custom Title!
you dont do the glowpoints in the table you still do them in the model the only thing you do in the table is THE LIGHTSOURCE the glowpoint creates i think theres a misunderstanding on that part by some readers here.
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃
┃┃┏┫┃┏┳━━┓┏━━┓┃┗━┳━━┳━━┳━━┓
┃┃┣┫┗┛┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┏┓┃┏┓┃━━┫━━┫
┃┗┫┃┏┓┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┗┛┃┗┛┣━━┣━━┃
┗━┻┻┛┗┻━━┛┗┛┗┛┗━━┻━━┻━━┻━━┛

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
So Dragon is saying he prefers WYSIWYG and everyone else wants to edit their HTML in Notepad?  Why not link PCS2 and table editing, then?
Not a bad idea, by the way, it could be rather useful, but PCS2 would have to be updated a lot more often. A few more improvements, like being able to display thruster and glowpoint bitmaps, trails and maneuvering thrusters could make more than a few lives much easier. But I doubt that's gonna happen.

From an outsider's perspective, that just sounds like 300% extra effort and so much more of a PITA than click and drag.
Precisely. Intrasystem Gate from WiH, one of my personal best, has 27 banks, 18 of them with two glowpoints, the rest with many more. Tabling this would literally take all day. Not to mention I'm not spending 1200$ for a 3DS max, nor learning Blender and it's arcane interface and shortcuts to do what I do in PCS2 with mouse.
Dragon, can you give a detailed step-by-step walkthrough of what you would have to do to glowpoint / change the glowpoints on a model with the way you want things done, and then the way they want it done?  Maybe then a solution will be brought forward that everyone will find livable.
Let's assume we have a new glowpoint config under index "2".
My way:
Open up a model.
Go to "glowpoints" tab, change the "type" field to 2 for each bank.
Save the model.

Practical note: With practice, this is the sort of thing you can do extremely fast. You don't move your keyboard finger, only mouse and you do it in a single pattern. This is menial, but not annoying, and there's no room for error, you always get it right first time. Even if you've got multiple types to assign, it's not much slower, even if you get into double digits.

Now, the table way (as mentioned here: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=81376.msg1632792#msg1632792):
Open up the model for reference (well, not necessary in this example, but in more complicated operations you need it).
Open up ships.tbl .
Write the ships.tbl field name.
Write "2", then a string of numbers equal to the number of glowpoint banks on a ship (in case of the intrasystem gate, you'll be typing all numbers from 1 to 27).
Save the table.

(im)Practical note: This means manually typing a lot of numbers. The more types you have, the more of this you have to write, with eventual parentheses, commas and whatever. Not to mention it doesn't quit have the "dynamic" (you look at the bank in PCS2, think "I want a type 4 here" and change immediately that without switching from PCS2 to table), and you have to count the banks manually in order to make out which is which, as PCS2 doesn't display the numbers next to them.

Comparison: Let's take the gate, and let's say you have 27 lighting presets (this is an exaggerated example, but gets the point across).
In my way, you type 27 numbers directly in the model, nothing more.
In tabled way, you type something like "(1-1, 1-2,... ...27-27)", along with all the syntax stuff. And if you skip a separator, a comma or whatever you have to look at this unwieldy string and search for a typo. Twice as many numbers, a lot more work.

Now, this might not seem like a big deal, and I might seem like I'm making much ado about nothing, and exaggerating too much to get the point across. But keep in mind that I'm going to be implementing this for two entire fleets in WiH, many of them have enormous glowpoint counts (I know, I did them). And not only that, I'll have to make sure this looks good, and will most likely add some more points. It suddenly accumulates a great deal of work.

you dont do the glowpoints in the table you still do them in the model the only thing you do in the table is THE LIGHTSOURCE the glowpoint creates i think theres a misunderstanding on that part by some readers here.
I know you don't intend to change glowpoints themselves, I was just pointing out how impractical table-based points are. However, assigning the lightsource should also be done in model, via "type" field.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
ASFGHJKL; NO.
No more POF-side things, goddammit.

Just copy coordinates from PCS2 into the tables (and flip their x-values because whoever designed the coordinate system of one of them is retarded I won't point fingers).

Typing Numbers >>>>>>>>>>>>> Clicking several times with a mouse. Seriously, if your goal is to get things done and not to get carpal tunnel, type >>> click.

PCS2's, while powerful and convenient, has (frankly), a **** interface in terms of click registration/drop down menu stuff, and is really finnick and keeps forgetting **** and is rather buggy. This is coming from the guy that advocates you doing all your non-hierarchy rigging in PCS2 instead of setting up fire points etc. in max (even if I have it). IF I could do all those things tableside I would so ****ing do it. Notepad best modding program hands down.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 01:10:20 pm by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Just copy coordinates from PCS2 into the tables (and flip their x-values because whoever designed the coordinate system of one of them is retarded I won't point fingers).
This is one of the most annoying things about maneuvering thrusters. Tell me how you'd do this 80 times without going crazy. Regardless, this won't be done in tables anyway.
I don't know what mouse you're using, but I prefer clicking to typing a row of numbers you can't even copypaste.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
So, we've talked about this on IRC, and we came to the conclusion that what we want to do is this:

1. Implement a glowpoint.tbl. This would be used to define glowpoint types, which hold data such as texture, blink rate, size, plus all the parameters the new lighting engine would allow.
2. In ships.tbl, settings will be added to allow the tabler to assign a glowpoint type to each bank. If a glowpoint type is set, the data from the GP type will override the settings in the model (this will preserve backwards compatibility)

Offline Valathil

• ...And I would have had a custom title if it wasn't for you meddling kids!
  • Custom Title? Wizards need no Custom Title!
reason being that only this setup can support multiple ships with the same model but different glowpoint configurations without duplicating models. And we think that having different configurations for the same model is a feature we would like to have.
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃
┃┃┏┫┃┏┳━━┓┏━━┓┃┗━┳━━┳━━┳━━┓
┃┃┣┫┗┛┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┏┓┃┏┓┃━━┫━━┫
┃┗┫┃┏┓┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┗┛┃┗┛┣━━┣━━┃
┗━┻┻┛┗┻━━┛┗┛┗┛┗━━┻━━┻━━┻━━┛

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
So in the end, we basically arrived at my initial suggestion of having the table as an override to types defined in the model. I guess that's an optimal solution.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Happy Bilbo is happy the wizards at the wizard table are happy.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
:wtf:

Looks to me like the glowpoint stuff in the POF stays the same. If you want new glowpoint features, you'll need to use the table in addition.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.