Author Topic: Effects for the MV_(adv)effect VP- The vote  (Read 53549 times)

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Re: Effects for the MV_(adv)effect VP- The vote
Right, I think I've finished with the terran glows now:

Not a terribly good pic, but it gives you the basic idea.

I've redone the afterburner trail, and all 6 actual glows, including getting rid of the apparently unpopular teal burner.
All glows for normal and burner glows seem to mesh together quite well, and look reasonably good from all angles now.

So, have a look at them for yourself in-game:

http://sectorgame.com/ti-file-dump/VasudanAdmiral/TerranThrusterGlows.zip

(they've all been left as TGAs to fit into a small zip, but if people like them enough to go into the media VPs, I *think* they should be changed to dds? Some of them could probably be halved in size with little quality loss)

Hope you like them. :)
Shivan glows or the HTL Zeus are next. Haven't decided. ;)

Edit: Made the glows 20% smaller so they better match the sizes of the engines they come from.

Edit: Changed the pic and download link.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 03:30:58 am by Vasudan Admiral »
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Shade

I like those last ones. A lot.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Thank god !! Your HTL Freespace 2 models are totally awesome !! Is there a good chance to see them into the next Media VP 3.6.9 ?

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Not all of them sorry. The Zeus probably will, but the Valk needs a new texture that doesn't assign the largest area on the ship an scrap of texture the size of a thumbnail. :\
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

VA, that's neat.  I must test them, oh yes. :)

DaB, I know the textured cones are old retail - but I think redone, with a new mesh and new textures (nb I don't know how they're done) they would look heaps better for fighters.  I don't think they'd be good for caps, though, I think the solid, stretchy taylor cone looks better for that.  But I'll have more thoughts when I'm done testing the hell out of VA's latest.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well I'm still using the old reliable.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
cont...

[attachment deleted by admin]
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
VA, that's neat.  I must test them, oh yes. :)

DaB, I know the textured cones are old retail - but I think redone, with a new mesh and new textures (nb I don't know how they're done) they would look heaps better for fighters.  I don't think they'd be good for caps, though, I think the solid, stretchy taylor cone looks better for that.  But I'll have more thoughts when I'm done testing the hell out of VA's latest.

I just wanted to point out, that the 3d thrusters are there in both versions. You can't 'turn them off', unless you remove their textures.

Hmm I like VA's and Bob's glows a lot...
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
It looks I'm using the old ones from two or three years ago. They look similar to Taylor's thrusters but are larger. I'll need to give these newer ones a try and see how they look ingame.

Offline neoterran

I like VA's new ones, especially the color
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
3D cones can be turned off if that is wanted... IIRC 3.6.8 zeta mediavps turn the modeled cones off.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
They look similar to Taylor's thrusters but are larger.
Yeah, I resized the ones that I use to be a little smaller.

DaB, do you mean that the old 3d ones are 'under' taylors cones?  Wierd. ;)

Not knowing much about the code for thrusters, I'm not sure what can be done with them.  It's surprising to me how many are using really old cones, though...  :confused:

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
I thought so... but maybe I was wrong... I don't really know anymore.

MediaVPs spreaded chaos on my whole (new) PC.

Anyway, I think I'll pick the best glows of the posted stuff and add it.

Second issue:
The animated shivan beam.
Not the beam glow, but the beam.

Some people even thought it was a bug... I quite like the 'flashyness' of the animation
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Second issue:

Some people even thought it was a bug... I quite like the 'flashyness' of the animation

* Turey has no idea what this is, needs pics to compare.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Second issue:

Oh, is this a 'feature'?

For clarification, on all the systems I've tried the Shivan beams have sharply constrasted red/white components, instead of the blended white/colour of the GTVA beams.  I thought it was a bug, because it looks like ass (especially when you're being shot at yourself, and can pick the individual elements out as the hit your windscreen).

My non-Shivan beams look like everyone elses.  If this is what he's asking, then I think the effect needs more work.  :p

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Personally, I do not like this look.  AFAIC (As Far As I'm Concerned), all the beams should be their brightest at their core, nearly white, transitioning into the designated color for its edges.  Basically, I like it the way :V: had it, though with some slight shimmering, flickering, and even marginal degrees of thickness of variation.  This thing with the deep color at the core, flanked by white strips, makes me think that either there's more than one beam being fired, or that this beam isn't particularly well focused and thus not very destructive.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Or that it's made of candy canes. :)  I'm with you: I'd prefer an FS2-ish look to all the beams, not just the GTVA ones.  These red beams are even worse moving, as the solid red/white parts move in a 'fake' way, making it look like a bad special effect.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Well, I'll most likely keep using my own beams anyway along with mediaVP's, so it doesn't matter much to me if that beam goes in or not, but I have to see that I agree that it looks like it's inverted. The brightest part of the beam should be in the middle and the colour should deepen towards the edges.

Are the Cain/Lilith textures fixed, by the way? Looks like it by the picture.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Shade

To be honest I've so far preferred the original [V] beams to any animated versions I've seen. I especially dislike the current adveffects beams that split up. They need to look focused and powerful, almost solid. Not flashy and jumping about. Also, I agree with TP about the colours - Definitely need to be brightest in the center, anything else just looks wrong.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.