Author Topic: Question about ship name on side of ship  (Read 1597 times)

Offline Govenator

• You have been targeted for termination!
Question about ship name on side of ship
Does anyone know how to put the name of the ship on the side of the ship?  For example in FS1 ST the GTD Krios is written on the side of the Orion destroyer.

Can you please tell me as I cannot find any info out there on this and have been looking for a while.   :confused:

Thanks!

Offline Parias

Re: Question about ship name on side of ship
Freespace Wiki to the rescue!

I believe this article should help get you started (and links to an additional tutorial specific to the Orion).

To be clear though, are you asking how to make and implement a completely new name plate, or just make an existing name plate (i.e. Krios) appear for a particular ship?

Offline Govenator

I was trying to implement a completely new name plate.  I have see a lot of different ones so I assumed it was not that difficult (for people who know what they are doing). 

Thanks for the article I'll take a look at it now :)

Offline Govenator

Ok so I have made my nameplates and I'm ready to put them on the ships.  Every time I try to replace the stock "capital01-01" with my new nameplate fred says "FRED was unable to find 1 file: orion   continue anyways? yes or no".  I click yes and Fred freezes.  Ive tried doing searches on my computer for where the stock ship textures are and I cannot find them.  Any ideas on where to place my nameplates?  Or am I missing some steps?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Did you put your new nameplate file into data/maps? 

Also, the stock nameplates are inside VP files, you'll need to open them and maybe extract them in order to view/search them.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
If you are using 3.7.2 RC3, I am aware that texture changing can be buggy, and Fred can CTD. Good to use older versions to put the nameplates in.

Moreso, your nameplate file has to be in your data->maps folder, the nameplate file has to be of specific format, .png, .jpg, .dds, those of which I remember at this point.
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If you are using 3.7.2 RC3, I am aware that texture changing can be buggy, and Fred can CTD. Good to use older versions to put the nameplates in.

Moreso, your nameplate file has to be in your data->maps folder, the nameplate file has to be of specific format, .png, .jpg, .dds, those of which I remember at this point.

It has to be png, tga, or dds. Never use JPEG for textures.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
Yea, forgot to mention. JPEG, or JPG, even if the game handles it, it is really poor choice, no alpha channel, bad format. You do want your nameplates to be transparent after all (Just the Ships name, not the Ship's name and ALL the white/black background with it.)
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline Govenator

I have tried putting them in my data/maps folder but FRED still says the same thing.  Also I did it with the png format and it still didn't work.  The FRED I'm using is 3.7.1.  I guess I'll try an older one and see what happens