Author Topic: High Poly Leviathan  (Read 65807 times)

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
I like it, as long as the texture helps to maintain the boxy motifs in FS1 Terran designs (which I have no doubt it will, knowing today's FSU).
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I am not entirely sold on this.  I do support the concept of the Leviathan displaying visual evidence of additional armor over the Fenris, in fact if you're game, you could even make the armor into separate sub-objects, allowing for mods to make them destroyable and use subsystem flags to actually protect the main hull beneath.  What I am not for however, is the previously-mentioned departure from the blocky, sharp-edged nature of the design.  I would rather it simply appear to be a Fenris underneath with the armor over the hull.  Now, if the armor sub-objects had the beveling rather than the inner core-hull, I could accept that.  I do like your changes to the engines, but I would suggest that you don't recess the inner back wall as much.  I'd also like to see some improvements in the turrets.  Perhaps, again if you're up for it, since we have support for non-standard multi-part turret positioning, perhaps you could make them all into small multi-part turrets with a larger one for the nose gun?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
^ While we're on that subject, will this contribute to a new Fenris model, or will it simply replace the current Leviathan?  Since they're technically the same mesh, I'm sure improvement would be welcomed on either front  :nervous:
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
^ While we're on that subject, will this contribute to a new Fenris model, or will it simply replace the current Leviathan?  Since they're technically the same mesh, I'm sure improvement would be welcomed on either front  :nervous:
Only the Leviathan.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
It needs to be Leviathan only. To me, Hades version looks like what the GTA would have done with more time, money, and technology when they built the Fenris... Which is precisely what the Leviathan is.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Only the Leviathan.

Actually awesome. Although I'd welcome a new Fenris asset from you as well, a cruiser with the same chassis as the Fenris, but with more arms and armament is A) very challenging to actually mode well (a testement to your skill when you pull it off, which I have complete confidence in) and B) Something that most players have wanted since retail, when the Leviathan was blue shifted I was happy, when the armor was extended over the glows, I was even happier: even though it covered the detail it just made sense (on a purely subjective level of course.

As long as the difference between the models fits with my feel of the Terrans as a utilitarian, economic species with a dependency on armor plating (as your Medusa certainly has and your Deimos has (in no small way continued,) I am completely, unequivocally supportive of that. As far as I know, with perhaps the exception of (ironically) Vasudan Admiral, you have done more to advance the Terran species in than perhaps anyone I know of. Anyone who freaks out about curves be trippin'.

(P.S. This is my drunk comment of the decade)

Offline Hades

Perhaps, again if you're up for it, since we have support for non-standard multi-part turret positioning, perhaps you could make them all into small multi-part turrets with a larger one for the nose gun?
Not a bad idea, actually. I'll definitely toy around with that.

somewhat small bump, made the engine housing thing a LOT less long, and added those escape pod thingies that were on the texutre, and added some engine detail. Front is still mostly unchanged. Radar dish is also a placeholder.

@Mars: Thanks man, I'm glad you like the work I'm doing. Greatly appreciate it.

EDIT:
Do ya guys think these engines look better?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 12:32:54 am by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
It needs to be Leviathan only. To me, Hades version looks like what the GTA would have done with more time, money, and technology when they built the Fenris... Which is precisely what the Leviathan is.
I tend to think of it as less of an upgrade and more of a conversion from cruiser to mobile battlestation.  :D

As to the thruster nozzles, it's hard to say without the thruster effects, but I'd lean towards the shorter example.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I tend to think of it as less of an upgrade and more of a conversion from cruiser to mobile battlestation.  :D

As to the thruster nozzles, it's hard to say without the thruster effects, but I'd lean towards the shorter example.

Like wise i prefer the shorter nozzles as they are closer to retail
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
IMHO, it's a bit too round and sleek, especially the engine and the midsection. Both Leviathan and Fenris are very boxy. It looks more like an even more advanced version of the design, a through, overall upgrade instead of up-armoring and buffing the weapons. The model itself looks very good though.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
IMHO, it's a bit too round and sleek, especially the engine and the midsection. Both Leviathan and Fenris are very boxy. It looks more like an even more advanced version of the design, a through, overall upgrade instead of up-armoring and buffing the weapons. The model itself looks very good though.

A MKII for production in low output systems or as a post Capella stopgap?
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Something like that, I'd imagine that any Leviathans left by the time of BP would look like this.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Round != bad.

Not exactly a fan of the engines (looks like a big mouth with huge lips, inb4cannotunsee), but it's not because it's rounded.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Round != bad.

Not exactly a fan of the engines (looks like a big mouth with huge lips, inb4cannotunsee), but it's not because it's rounded.

OH NOES! CANNOTUNSEE!

[attachment deleted by ninja]
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
inafter

Thanks for your cooperation.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Hades

It's only got a few more rounded surfaces if anything, it's hardly round and sleek.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Perhaps it's the midsection which gives it this appearance. Now that I'm looking at it, the midsection is very rounded compared to older models (and visibly octagonal, while the original was rectangular). If the lines could be straightened and side walls widened, it would look much more approbate. Other parts are indeed pretty close, except the aforementioned "lips".
Round != bad.
Round != Leviathan midsection. I'm not saying it's bad (quite the contrary), but it departs from the original a bit too much.

Offline Hades

Perhaps it's the midsection which gives it this appearance. Now that I'm looking at it, the midsection is very rounded compared to older models (and visibly octagonal, while the original was rectangular). If the lines could be straightened and side walls widened, it would look much more approbate. Other parts are indeed pretty close, except the aforementioned "lips".
Round != bad.
Round != Leviathan midsection. I'm not saying it's bad (quite the contrary), but it departs from the original a bit too much.
I really would hate to revert to something closer to the old leviathan mid section, because the old Leviathan looked like trash. It looked frail. It looked like it was made of grey cardboard. It doesn't look the part, it looks primitive and like it'd fall apart at the faintest touch.

The lips are being worked on. Hopefully they won't be lips anymore.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 08:59:17 pm by Hades »
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I like the midsection, the engine is my only worry (and apparently its being looked into!)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Still, the midsection seems noticeably smaller on your model than on the old Leviathan, not to mention the fact it's curved towards it's ends (making it look a bit too much like Rugby ball). I'd suggest straightening the curves, perhaps with that, the octagonal cross section would be less of an issue.